Author Topic: Finally got surgery! (2 days post op)  (Read 6665 times)

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
So after about a year of procrastinating and working around university, I finally got the surgery! I got my surgery with Sue Thistlewaite who seems to be the best known Australian surgeon for gynecomastia, so I'll do a brief run through of the day.

I went in at around 9AM, they put me in a room at about 9:30AM with a TV and a nice leather recliner, they gave me stockings (something to do with blood clotting), a hospital gown, a dressing gown, hair net and feet covers. Then at around 10AM my anesthesiologist came in and discussed exactly what she was doing and how I might feel after the surgery, she cracked a lot of jokes and lightened the mood. After she was done Sue (my surgeon) came in and did drawings on me and told me exactly what she was doing, she said there was a little more gland in my right side and that she would remove the optimal amount for each side, leaving a little bit of gland in each side to prevent cratering. They then took me in at about 11AM and said I'll feel really good for two seconds, which I did - then I woke up about 2 hours later in a room. I felt pretty hungover, however this subsided after about 30 minutes and the nurses were very comforting. They made sure I didnt move and I was elevated on about a 30 degree angle with my compression vest and bandaging around my chest. It turned out one of the nurses son had surgery with Sue just 6 weeks before me, so she was very understanding and was explaining everything I might go through - she said her son is now fully functional and happy with the result. Although she told me not to go to work for a week, which makes me think he might have done something too soon, lol.

Anyway its now friday (I went in on Wednesday) and today I got my bandage taken off and all I have now is just some waterproof dressing over the stitches and the vest. I have very little pain and have experienced very little pain through the past two days (about 3 out of 10 is the maximum), however when she ripped off the bandages a bit was caught on my underarm hair and this was very painful (7 out of 10). From what I saw, it looked very good, little bruising, small amount of swelling and a good flat chest. My only concern is that the stitches were slightly above the edge of the aerola, to my understanding the best location is exactly on the edge, that way it blends in? Does this mean that I will have a scar in the lower bit of my nipples?

Anyway I took some pictures, to be honest I had very minor gyne, but people had made comments on it, pinched my nipples through my shirt, my ex-girlfriend also said 'for someone so lean, you have a flabby chest'. Some will think my surgery is petty, but I felt it was something that needed to be done. My insurance ended up covering about $3500 of $5000 - so it cost me about $1500.

Here is the post op pic, you cant see much because of the bandaging but o well:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5138/2daysfrontxh7.jpg

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Nice results. Does your girlfriend or any family members know you had surgery?
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
Nice results. Does your girlfriend or any family members know you had surgery?

Just my mum, lol..

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
haha. if you're too embarassed to tell your friends, just say you had surgery on your ribs because they were cracked.

Offline digger

• Posting Member
Nice one mate, will be good to see the results in a few weeks, if you're willing of course.

May I ask which insurance you're with, if its not too personal. i'm guessing Medicare doesn't cover this kind of stuff.

Cheers and all the best.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
Nice one mate, will be good to see the results in a few weeks, if you're willing of course.

May I ask which insurance you're with, if its not too personal. i'm guessing Medicare doesn't cover this kind of stuff.

Cheers and all the best.

Medicare covers 718 of Sues $2000 fee, whereas Medibank Private Blue Ribbon cover will cover the hospital costs and maybe the anesthesiologist fees (I havnt checked yet).

I'll also post the results in two days when I get this dressing off (1 week post op) - then after a few more weeks hopefully I'll have somewhat 'final' results. Too many people here have got surgery and then never posted the results, I think its because they want to forget about gynecomastia.

Offline robo21

• Posting Member
My only concern is that the stitches were slightly above the edge of the aerola, to my understanding the best location is exactly on the edge, that way it blends in? Does this mean that I will have a scar in the lower bit of my nipples?

Hey mate, i too had surgery with Sue a couple of months back.  Trust me i was  freaking out over the placement of the stitches, seemed to run right through the aerola. I also swelled up nasty after surgery, got moving waaay to quick. Anyways, i had lost all hope in the scars. Eg. Bad placement + serious pressure from under, tennis ball styles.

but... now I can't even see the cuts. Where they are put is brilliant, believe me I was stressing but they are non existant. They sort of dissapear in the nipple, no rings and definately not visible. Believe me you don't have to worry about the stitches and scars. Just take it easy and you will be sweet.

If you want photos I can put some up. Trust me I know what its like thinking it wont turn out okay.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
My only concern is that the stitches were slightly above the edge of the aerola, to my understanding the best location is exactly on the edge, that way it blends in? Does this mean that I will have a scar in the lower bit of my nipples?

Hey mate, i too had surgery with Sue a couple of months back.  Trust me i was  freaking out over the placement of the stitches, seemed to run right through the aerola. I also swelled up nasty after surgery, got moving waaay to quick. Anyways, i had lost all hope in the scars. Eg. Bad placement + serious pressure from under, tennis ball styles.

but... now I can't even see the cuts. Where they are put is brilliant, believe me I was stressing but they are non existant. They sort of dissapear in the nipple, no rings and definately not visible. Believe me you don't have to worry about the stitches and scars. Just take it easy and you will be sweet.

If you want photos I can put some up. Trust me I know what its like thinking it wont turn out okay.

pics would be awesome mate, I was a little bit concerned but Sue seems pretty darn confident about everything and I didnt want to question her on it.. How long did your full recovery take?

Offline robo21

• Posting Member
Well I developed a hematoma on one side so my recovery is still going on.  Things look better than before obviously but from day 3 or 4 I knew things were going to take a while to settle down. In saying this tho, there is no evidence I had surgery, just a slight lump to the side of my chest sort of thing, which was caused from my body bleeding days after surgery.   

My other side with no complications had minimal swelling and bruising. It was perfect after about 3 weeks maybe less, my left side was great. You wouldn’t even be able to tell I had surgery. No scars, no scar tissue and no marks.

Mobility, well…1-2 months and you are probably close to 100%. I think majority is in your head though. I was pretty ginger to minimise further swelling on my right side. Unless you play rugby or enjoy regular nipple cripples life is pretty much normal a few weeks after.

I’ll get the photos up hopefully some time tomorrow.       

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
nice did you do something too physical in the first week or two to cause this or something?

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
aight guys, im 3 weeks post op now - i can hopefully take pics for you tomorrow. I did a chest workout yesterday and I'm back at the gym! scars are basically invisible but I still have some swelling

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024