Author Topic: Surgery questions???  (Read 2288 times)

Offline ff360

I've been reading the posts and investigating cures for Gynecomastia for a long time like the rest of you i'm sure.  I'm 23, not a chiseled body by any means but not out of shape.  I have had some form of Gynecomastia since my young teens.  I am finally starting to seriously think about surgery.  Like most I love the beach but never go because I don’t want to take my shirt off.  I think my family and my girlfriend are the only ones who have ever seen me without a shirt on.  I had a talk with my girlfriend the other day and she didn't think it was worth it, but once I explained why I want it she fully backed me and gave me her support.  Before I go for a consult I would like to voice some of my concerns about having the surgery so I can get an idea of what I’m getting myself into.  I've read a lot about those that have had the surgery and have loved the results, however, I have also read the posts from those that have had it and it returned months later.  Does this happen often? 50%? 90%?  What are some of the complications of the surgery? Is it like it was 20 years ago when a person’s chest can become deformed? worse than it was with the gynecomastia?  I've also read about people having pain 6 months to 2 years after surgery? How often does this occur?  I’m in law enforcement and I can deal with post surgery pain, but chronic pain 2 years after might be an issue.  I understand that this surgery doesn't make you look like a body builder so I’m not expecting that, I just want to look more normal than I do now.  Any responses would be a huge help.  Thanks. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
At this point in time, there are no alternatives to surgery if you have well established gynecomastia.

You may read many posts about problems encountered after surgery -- but what you don't read are the vast majority of men who have successful surgery and who do not post their experiences.

My best suggestion is to visit several surgeons, preferably those with significant experience in gyne surgery.  Pose many of your questions to each surgeon -- their answers may be different due to their own experiences.  Choose the one with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The fee, while important, should be the least of your considerations. Remember, you will enjoy and appreciate the results of your procedure for the rest of your life -- long after the fee is forgotten.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline noobs101

• Posting Member
My friend, I think the key is to choose a doctor that has plenty of experience in this procedure.. the more ops they've done the better.  You should always ask to see pictures of past patients and you should ask questions and the doc should always provide answers without any hesitation.  I'm a firm believer that you cannot remove them unless excision and gland removal was done along with lypo... so if a doc says that they don't do gland removal then you run fast!

I am 29 and I'm 4 months into my recovery and it's the best decision I've ever made... it was easier than I thought and I was working the next day without painkillers!

Do your due dilligence, choose a good doc and JUST DO IT.. your life will change for the better and you'll look back and think why didn't you do it earlier.

Good luck my friend!
Dr. Craig Fielding    416.766.8890    Toronto
1st consultation: Sept 15th 2008
2nd consultation: Oct 17th 2008
Surgery date: October 29th 2008
Cost for freedom $2100.

Special thanks to : Grandpa Bambu

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I have also read the posts from those that have had it and it returned months later.  Does this happen often? 50%? 90%?

Having G return is very rare! I Don't know the percentage... Probably less than .5% over all!  That's just a rough guess though. If your G has been stable (not growing) for several years and are not taking any meds that have G as a side affect, then I would say that the chances of you having it return are slim-to-none!  ;)

What are some of the complications of the surgery?

Infection and Hematoma are the two most prominent. Those also, I would expect, are very rare also.

Is it like it was 20 years ago when a person’s chest can become deformed? worse than it was with the gynecomastia?

No! Today's G surgical techniques are much more refined than 20-30 years ago.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024