Author Topic: CHECKLIST......  (Read 3015 times)

Offline notanymore

• Posting Member
I was thinkin that maybe I could help some people, so I decided to post what I think one should do to combat Gyno...

1. EDUCATION/REASEARCH....learn about gyno, what causes it, how it is treated/prevented, what potentially caused your specific case, find other cases similar to yours and look at results,

2.SEE AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST...  get tested....make sure the gyno is stabilized, ie not growing, before considering surgery.....

3. GET IN SHAPE....your results will be better...get to a weight that you are comfortable in maintaining+- 10 lbs. It helps the surgeon to visualize the final result.

4. CONSULTATIONS....notice that it is plural...get at least three, even if it means a long drive....your reasearch is complete, have a list of general and case specific questions, look at his/her past work..lots of photos should be made available to you, as well as contact info to speak to past patients

5 CHOOSE A PS.... board certified and experienced/specializing in gyno cases......make sure you are comfortable with your decision, not just based on the facts, but listen to your gut too.

6  NEGOTIATE FOR REVISION...it happens, fine tuning is sometimes requuired to finish the job...make sure its set before it is necessary. Your cost should only be for the anestesia, in other words, the PS isnt makin any money on the revision, but hes not spendin any either.

7  FOLLOW PRE/POST OP GUIDELINES..... Why risk lifelong results to take of the compression a day or two early, or got to the gym cause you just cant wait another day? No brainer here....Its a long life...be patient.

I followed the above and had a positive experience......Its a thing of the past for me....I read and heard lots of horror stories along the way....I think that they can be avoided if you follow the above.....

Good luck...hope that this helps somebody....

Offline dav242

• Bronze Member
hey notanymore - i thought this was really great, especially since you include seeing an endo (for me, this was really key) and working out before opting for surgery, as a last resort

this should really be made into a "sticky" in this forum so all newbies like me can read it without having to do searches to find it...

my only issue is with finding a PS that 'specializes' in gyno cases -
there's only one PS in my state that's actually listed in the gynecomastia surgeon listing on this site. the same PS is referenced in the local forums for my state in these discussion boards. but i haven't been able to find any other PS specializing in gyno in my state listed on this site! it's just that one guy, which sort of limits who i can get any opinion from.

the 4 different PS that i've seen, so far, i picked based on education, board certification, experience and years in practice, and whether or not they have some breast-related specialty or interest (more often, it's breast reconstruction/augmentation/reduction for women). probably not the most ideal surgeons, but i honestly (and unfortunately) haven't been able to find a lot of doctors who actually "specialize" in gynecomastia procedures...

all that to ask - do you know of any good resources (outside of this site) for finding a PS who specializes in these types of procedures? i think that's such a crucial part of the equation, and so knowing where to look or what resources to use to find that "right" doctor would really ease the burden...

thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:19:07 PM by dav242 »

Offline notanymore

• Posting Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You obviously approached th matter with a lot of forethought and had realistic expectations of the surgical outcome.

Many people are much less realistic. For them, I would include another step prior to surgery: A visit with a Psychologist.

Actually a Psychologist can be an important ally if you are having trouble getting your insurance to cover the surgery.

Thanks for a very good post.
Grandpa Dan

Offline notanymore

• Posting Member
FOR THE NEWBIES............

Offline notanymore

• Posting Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024