Author Topic: Pubertal gynecomastia and height  (Read 2572 times)

Offline CookieMonster

I've peen poking around and doing some research when I stumbled upon something interesting. The epiphyseal plates that cause vertical growth are supposedly closed by the hormone estrogen (why girls tend to be shorter). Anyways, upon reading this to myself I thought "isn't it estrogen that causes gynecomastia?" I've hade gyno I believe since shortly after I started puberty (11 or 12). I'm almost 16 now and my nipples are puffy as ever. The thing is, I'm not really sensitive about my milk duds, I learned to live with them and simply explain to people the reason I have them when they point them out. I don't have moobs, in fact im actually very skinny (5'3/4" at 135 lbs) but I have been gaining a lot of muscle in my pecs and it seems to excentuate the whole puffy nips thing. Anyways, back to the main question: if gynecomastia is caused by estrogen and estrogen causes the epiphyseal plates to close, does this mean I'm not going to reach my full height potential? I've done a lot of reachearch and there is definitely a trend: estrogen, or lack thereof, is definitely a contributing factor in overall height while still growing. A couple years back when I was fourteen the doctor told me I had relatively high testosterone compared to most. I've come to suspect that in order to balance my naturally high testosterone, through aromatization, it converts that testosterone into estrogen thus giving my gyno that won't go away on its own. I haven't grown in well over half a year (didn't get measured until last summer) and I haven't budged height wise. I was just wondering if there was a correltation between my gyno and my not growing (which is what I'm worried about, not the puffy nips).

Offline xelnaga13

It's a difficult question to answer. Ill do my best. Just because you have gyne doesnt mean your plates are sealed.

You cannot micro manage puberty. It's essential that your body go through the process as naturally as possible. Interference of any kind can damage your development, especially the hypothalamic-pituitary axis.

I would also suggest that gyne is caused in the very early stages of puberty when your body begins to pulse testosterone, rather than a continuous supply. When this happens it's possible for temporary estrogen dominance over androgens, thus leading to gyne.

Understand that gyne is a natural part of puberty for some guys.

Offline xelnaga13

One more aspect to consider. You would have to research this yourself, but I believe your plates are slowly sealed by low levels of estrogen over the course of your development. Rather than a single dose of estrogen sealing them instantly.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
From age 18 to 36 I was 5'8" tall, wore size 8 shoes and in the community chior I was the only natural counter tenor.

From age 36 to 42 My height increaed to 5'10", Shoe size increased to size 9 and my voice dropped almost an octave.

At the age of 48 a serious fall left me with a fractured right wrist. The fracture was describes as an epiphyseal separation of the radius. A subsequent x-ray study of the long bones pelvis and skull showed an age of 17.

I am now 75 and recent x-rays are essentiall normal for an adult. My Gynecomastia is pretty much unchanged since early teens except for some sagging with age.

Obviously over the course of my life the testing and analysis of hormone levels has greatly changed. My levels have never actually been checked. Certainly I have never had any symptoms of hypogonadism. I am the father of 8, grandfather of 26, and great-grandfather of 6.

Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024