Author Topic: Surgery with Mr Levick on 7th November  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Yeah know what you mean mate.

I can finally pull my shoulders back like a normal bloke, rather than rounding them so my chest doesn't stick out.

Thanks for the re-assurance about the swelling.

How long until yours setled down and stayed that way?

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
My chest started to swell around 2-3 weeks after the op. I started massaging at 4 weeks and actually really enjoyed the effects and the chance to feel what was going on. I had a couple of hard lumps of scar tissue but I felt them flatten out over time.

Once I was past 2 months or so I honestly didn't pay much attention to my chest. I remember at around 3 months I was a little unhappy about a fatty looking area around my armpit area but I'd seen people post on the boards they had the same thing and were months ahead. As your head gets over the change you don't put your chest under the microscope so much.

I'm currently in the process of bulking up for my gym lifting so I'm carrying a few extra pounds and my chest has increased in size due to muscle gains. I guess until I do my rip programme it's hard to judge my exact state atm. But personally I'm happy and feel comfortable with what it's like now  :)

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
It sounds more dramatic then it is tho tbh. Having swelling for a few months doesn't mean you fully look like you did pre-op (tho again it's easy for your head to tell you you do). Often the swelling isn't visible through a t-shirt and my thinking was if I managed to hide my boobs for years I think I can deal with a little swelling for a couple of months.  You'll have days of feeling like a god and days where you think what have I done.

I thought I dealt with the mental side pretty well but I still had them tough days. It's hard to think long term but the days really do fly once you're past that first month or 2 where things are still new.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Nice one, thanks a lot for the feedback.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey Simba

I'm 4 weeks post op on Thursday and and have swelling similar to you. I  happy with the left side but the right is defo swollen and it feels like there is liquid in my chest - I also wouldn't be happy if you chest ended up like this. It's really frustrating after seeing the results immediately post op. I contacted Levick and he said not to worry and that it looked and sounded perfectly normal and that all would settle down eventually.... I guess we have to take heed of what others on here have said on remember that it really is early days after a few weeks.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Hi Vesuvius - great to hear from you.

Time flies, doesn't it? Doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago we were chatting and you were only a few days post op.

Thanks for letting me know that. I may well wear the vest during the day a while longer then - as prefer my shape in it than out of it. It's good to hear it goes down though, just hope it doesn't take too long.

I was also wondering, why we aren't told to ice the area, like you would anywhere else on your body that was swollen? When I had my cruciates reconstructed, I spent 24 hours a day for 6 weeks in a cryocuff, constantly cooling the knee to reduce the swelling.  Is it because it's too near the heart?

How's your recovery going other than the swelling? Still noticing improvements? I feel like I'm getting better each day, and it will be 2 weeks on Thursday.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Your chest will most likely be numb so you won't feel the temperature and you can burn yourself with the ice. Compression helps the skin retake to the new chest shape while also restricting swelling.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Thanks mate.

How long did your swelling take to go down?

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Well it's 4.5 weeks post op now, and everything is going well.

Back running, and wearing a compression vest to do that, wearing one at night, but off during the day now.

The right side is looking good, but the left has more swelling, quite a bit of it hard, and since taking the vest off at the end of last week, has started to resemble a small man boob again. Disappointing at this stage, as I'd gotten used to wearing whatever I wanted in the last 4 weeks as the vest kept me flat as a pancake. I'm assuming the swelling goes down and you go back to being flat again after a while?

Anyone else had this? And if so, any rough idea how long I'm looking at getting it to go please? And pointers for anything else I can do (bar massage) to help speed it up please? Icing it etc.?

Thanks.

Offline timmyt

• Posting Member
Hi Simba,

I am 5 and a half weeks post op now and in the same situation as you only its the right hand side for me that has more lumpiness.  I would highly recommend using the vest during the day again as well as adding some kind of compression at night I find this has helped. you need to keep the pressure on even at 4 and a half weeks. I typically take it off for an hour when I wake up and get ready then off for two hours at night then put on a tight bandage before bed, haven't really done much massaging.  Definitely worth firing Levick an email with a picture and I am confident he will tell you to keep the pressure on.

Hope that helps

Offline darkmagician

• Bronze Member
I'm booked in for the 11th as well, have to be there for 8am like yourself. I'm not nervous at all, more excited to just be able to wear tight t shirts haha!

Offline darkmagician

• Bronze Member
Just realised you had your op more than a month ago, sorry mate haha! How is the recovery going?

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Thanks TimmyT, will do.

Darkmagician - recovery is going well thanks mate. A lot easier than I'd imagined. Basically, if I was going in to have it done again, I wouldn't care less. There's absolutely nothing to worry about with the whole thing. Just want the lumpiness to go now, so I can get to the point where I can relax and finally have a flat chest.

Hope yours goes well mate!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024