Author Topic: I am going to have surgery.  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
I had an appointment with a surgeon today.  I am going to have surgery in about a month.  I am happy.  I will go over some details and anyone with something constructive to say is welcome to add to this because I still am not 100% sure about this whole thing.

Anyway, I have had gyne in my right breat for almost 10 full years now.  I am 41 and overweight.  Having a boob has eaten away at me, mentally, for all this time.  I know people see it.  Sometimes they make comments and it is mortifying.  I had seen a plastic surgeon about 8 years ago but never acted on it because I couldn't afford it.

But the one I saw today said my insurance should cover it.  *Huge relief*  I have read up on gyne, including these boards and some things he told me were different than what I've read.  He said it will only take about 20 minutes to perform the procedure.  The procedure includes gland excision.  He said that he will cut out the gland and surrounding fatty tissues.

I asked if it would be sunken in and he said no.  I asked if I would need to wear a compression vest and he said no.  I asked how long I would be off work and he said a couple of days.  Surgery on Monday and I should be able to return to work on Wednesday.  I also asked him how many of these surgeries he's performed and he said 30-40 so he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

What do you guys think?  Does he sound right on these things?

Offline robos111

• Posting Member
who is the surgeon, if you don't mind me asking. You mentioned that youe insurance may cover it, where do you live?
thanks,
Robos

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
Well now I am not so sure about the insurance.  That awaits to be seen.  Does anything else that I said the dr mentioned sound right?

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
I just read on this site:  "This is a same-day outpatient surgical procedure. The actual surgery takes about 2½ to 3 hours."

My surgeon said 20 minutes.  Why the difference here? 

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
Also read this:  "Do I need to wear a compression vest? What is it for? How long do I have to wear it?

It is necessary to wear a compression vest for about four to six weeks following the procedure. "

But my surgeon said no, I wouldn't need one.

DrBermant

I just read on this site:  "This is a same-day outpatient surgical procedure. The actual surgery takes about 2½ to 3 hours."

My surgeon said 20 minutes.  Why the difference here?  

I could never sculpt a chest like what I show on my website in 20 minutes. Carefully evaluate a surgeon's before and after surgery results before considering that doctor. I have posted before on how to pick your gynecomastia surgeon:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

A doctor should be able to demonstrate what their technique offers with many examples. I am always careful about claims without proof. I saw one appendix removal done by the grandson of a very famous general surgeon done in under a minute. What I saw so horrified me about the risks that surgeon did on the poor patient, that I refused to scrub with him again as a surgical resident.  Fast does not mean good (unless you are dealing with trauma or life and death surgery). Elective surgery has different standards. Good results even during animation, with minimal bruising, with minimal discomfort, with quick recovery time, with low complication rate, low revision rate, and patient satisfaction is how I measure quality of surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:20:53 AM by DrBermant »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A twenty minute operation with gland excision and no compression garment post op?  I am skeptical.

Since you have had this condition for many years, I think it would behoove you to check out some other docs just to get 2nd and even 3rd opinions. This is elective surgery -- no need to rush into it.  Get the best doctor possible.  Remember, the best chance to get a good result is your first operation -- everything else (ie revision) is just playing catch-up.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies.  Now I'm nervous.  I will have to call back monday and double check on this stuff.  He said he's done 30-40 of these surgeries.  How do I find out if he's really done them?  He wouldn't just lie to my face like that would he?  Even his nurse said they've had patients with gyne before.

Anyway, that's 3 things that I know of that what he said to me, doesn't mesh with what I've read here.  I'll post later.  Again, thanks for the replies.

DrBermant

Thanks for the replies.  Now I'm nervous.  I will have to call back monday and double check on this stuff.  He said he's done 30-40 of these surgeries.  How do I find out if he's really done them?  He wouldn't just lie to my face like that would he?  Even his nurse said they've had patients with gyne before.

Anyway, that's 3 things that I know of that what he said to me, doesn't mesh with what I've read here.  I'll post later.  Again, thanks for the replies.

Look for before and after pictures of that doctor's work. I work with up to 8 gynecomastia patients a day. It has been many many years since my gynecomastia experience was at 40 cases.  However, every surgeon needs to start somewhere. The best ones have good technique even with their early cases. Proof should be in carefully documented before and after pictures / movies and the other details I discussed in the prior post and links.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
What happens if there is no compression vest?  My dr said I wouldn't need one so I never got one.  Not sure I could find one to fit anyway.

DrBermant

What happens if there is no compression vest?  My dr said I wouldn't need one so I never got one.  Not sure I could find one to fit anyway.

No compression after surgery can mean increased bruising, swelling, and discomfort. For my patients, all are fitted before surgery. I have yet to find a patient who we were not able to get a compression vest before the operation. To see what a doctor's technique offers (i.e. use or not using a specific element or method) checking before and after pictures. Early after surgery photos tend to show the swelling / bruising. Checking patient experiences with that surgeon's technique tend to reveal comfort issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024