Author Topic: Anesthesia question  (Read 4079 times)

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
Hello, I'm recovering from a concussion and am dealing with some relatively mild but persistent post-concussion symptoms (headache, mainly).

I'm still considering gyne surgery, and intend to wait until well after I've recovered from the concussion, but I'm a bit concerned about possible side effects of going under general or twilight anesthesia (ie, that the anesthesia might have adverse effects in light of my concussion). Concussions are tricky, and I don't want to cause any recurrence of symptoms later on.

Two questions:

- Can someone who has had a prior concussion, or more specifically, someone who has experienced post-concussion syndrome for several months or more, safely undergo gyne surgery using general or twilight anesthesia?

- Alternatively, is gyne surgery feasible using local anesthesia only?

Any input from doctors or anyone else would be appreciated!

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Im NOT a doctor, but i think local anasthesia would be the safest option. Gyne surgery can be done with local. Although, why are you here? You should be saving this information for your potential surgeon

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Post-concussive symptoms can last for a while -- obviously depending on the severity of the concussion. 

I will very rarely do gyne surgery under local anesthesia -- it is a non-starter for me.  I use lipo in some form for virtually every case -- and the local anesthetic effects do not hold for lipo -- you really feel it!!!

I am certainly not an authority on concussions and although it would seem to be safe to have surgery, you might want to check it out with / obtain clearance from your treating neurologist.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
Thanks, Dr Jacobs. I will ask my doctors about the potential risks of undergoing gyne surgery.

I have been making good progress in my concussion recovery, week by week. I will revisit the issue of gyne surgery once I have been symptom-free for some time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024