Author Topic: How effective is gland excision only  (Read 3818 times)

Offline AUSTIN

• Posting Member
HI Guys,

My surgen is going to perform a gland excision only, he doesn't do lipo, I wonder what kind of results should I be expecting?

I guess that gland excision plus lipo is the best, but I know its more painful too, people who had experience with gland excision only, was it worth it?

Another thing, I just contacted the doctor office to inquire whether I should be bringing a compression vest along or will the doctor provide one, to my surprise the assistant said that I won't need one  ??? from the experience of many people here, almost everyone I read his story had to wear one afterwards ( also my case is sever, so in my mind, of all people, I should wear one)

Despite what she said, I thinking of going and buying a vest, should I?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:59:12 PM by AUSTIN »

Offline flex1appeal

Well, it really depends whether the majority of your gyne is glandular or fat. If it is primarily glandular and you have little fat in the surrounding area then I'd say the excision alone would be adequate. If he removes the gland but you still have a good deal of fat surrounding your breast area then you'd probably want lipo as well as removing the gland alone won't be sufficient to resculpt the chest you are probably hoping for. I am no doctor and no expert but I would think most here would agree. As for the vest, it can't hurt to wear. It could only help. It helps reduce swelling and bruising post surgery and helps the skin reshape quicker. No harm in buying one. Just my opinion here. Hope I could help

Offline AUSTIN

• Posting Member
Thanks 4 ur reply man,

My surgery is sceduled to mid of th month, and I'm just starting to have serious doubts ever since I discovered it was an excision only. Have seen posts for "DanMaine" who had to do a second op to remove gland, and I just don't wanna go through a second op.

Seriously thinking of canceling and switching to Dr. Fielding, but my problem is that I've to travel to Toronto, also guess I'll be looking for a wait time of almost a year.

Offline ireallyhatemyself

• Posting Member
I am no doctor but if you think your case is severe, the likelyhood of your problem being all or primarily gland is probably very low. so if I were in your shoes I would definitely opt for lipo and excision.

The fact is there will be fat there, unless you're extremely cut you have fat all over your body which is normal. Besides that the gland is like a woman's, which regulates the breast tissue and fat.

There is also the case of whether or not excising gland while fat remains in the breast is even going to be as thorough an excision as one done after lipo simply because the fat is primarily out of the way

Offline AUSTIN

• Posting Member
Thanks 4 ur reply man, I read ur post and decided to contact my PS again, and I talked to his assistant and her reply was that the doctor doesn't believe that lipo is necessary, if he did, he would've done lipo+excision. What u said makes sense, there has to be fat tissue in there. Basicaly she is saying that he does do lipo (despite this is not what I got from her when we talked yesterday) but in my case it is not necessary  ??? of course I got some talk that the doctor undestands better and he is trained in this and has been doing it for 14 years, I agree, but saying no lipo required can not mean there is no fat there, it doesn't make sense.

Guess I'll go with the procedure crossing my fingures.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:05:15 AM by AUSTIN »

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
Thanks 4 ur reply man, I read ur post and decided to contact my PS again, and I talked to his assistant and her reply was that the doctor doesn't believe that lipo is necessary, if he did, he would've done lipo+excision. What u said makes sense, there has to be fat tissue in there. Basicaly she is saying that he does do lipo (despite this is not what I got from her when we talked yesterday) but in my case it is not necessary  ??? of course I got some talk that the doctor undestands better and he is trained in this and has been doing it for 14 years, I agree, but saying no lipo required can not mean there is no fat there, it doesn't make sense.

Guess I'll go with the procedure crossing my fingures.

I think you are cool if he does both, but doesn't think you need both.  I say a guy that only did lipo and thought he could get everything out.  I couldn't go with him for that reason.  I needed to know that if something was not as he expected, he could do an excision.  You might want to ask your PS what he will do if he cuts you open and then doesn't think excision only will be enough.  Will you have to come back later, or can he do lipo right then and there.  I hate when doctors of any kind tell you "I am the doctor".  No shit.  It is like the don't expect you to have questions about an elective surgery that could scar you for life.  Make sure you feel comfortable, before you give him your money.

Offline ireallyhatemyself

• Posting Member
Well if he has experience with gyne maybe excision only is all you need. The only problem is when there is excess fat around the breast, if the existing fat is consistent with your natural body fat then it would look fine.

I would definitely trust a surgeon who decides to do excision only instead of lipo only. Unless it's a specialized form like Dr. Lista's, the doctors who only do lipo to me seem like ones that don't particularly grasp the difference between gyne and female breast augmentation, ie the need to change the entire contour of the chest.

Also, is it covered by health insurance? Either way, good luck

Offline AUSTIN

• Posting Member

You might want to ask your PS what he will do if he cuts you open and then doesn't think excision only will be enough.  Will you have to come back later, or can he do lipo right then and there.  

Will certainly be asking that and I hope that he will be able to do something while I'm there.

Offline AUSTIN

• Posting Member

Also, is it covered by health insurance? Either way, good luck

It is covered by insurance, but who wants to be cut twice, also my understanding is that lipo isn't covered by insurance but if u did it with gyn (which is covered), the incremental cost for the added procedure (Lipo) will be a lot lower than doing lipo as a seperate surgery.

Offline monnom

• Bronze Member
I am getting just the excission done with doctor Kreidstein in Toronto.  If your doc says u dont need lipo, but ur still worried that ur chest has a bit of chub to it, start going for runs, working out, take up martial arts or do some physical activity lose that weight ur self conscious about reap in all the benefits of exercising.
source of revelation, inspiration, nutrition, relaxation, entertainment, and healing

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
Your in Canada right? So the excision is covered by insurance but not the lipo?

If this is the case you still want lipo. I had lipo too and i'm no chubby, check out my pics. But anyway you want the lipo at least so the surgeon can blend out the cavity created by the removal of the gland. Otherwise big cavity = bad results + extra scar tissue.

The insurance is also covering your anaesthesia, bed etc. So have the lipo now. Otherwise if you pay for lipo at a later date not only will you be paying for the lipo but also the anasthesiast / bed / Drs time / nurses next time plus the lipo, and you'll be getting chopped open twice...

Jees some people. Ditch the Dr, search the boards for the best, go there. Now your boring me.

lopher

Offline samgyne28

• Bronze Member
Is excision only & anesthesia covered by insurance in the US?  

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you have to fight like a demon to get any kind of gyne coverage out of an insurer in the us, it's rare.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:12:56 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline toxicity

• Posting Member
Austin
I am in the exact same boat as you. I will be undergoing surgery (in Canada) in September. My doctor will apparently be doing a glandular excision as well, and I have my concerns about this. Although I think I have a mild case of gyno - I want the best results possible.

Here is a transcript of the emails sent between myself and the PS:

"Doctor,
Hello, I will be having gynecomastia corrective surgery performed on myself by you sometime this fall. I just had a quick question about the procedure:

I understand that liposuction constitutes a portion of the surgery. However, I have been doing some research into this condition and the surgery, and I am concerned that I may also need a glandular exicision. Could you please tell me if this is part of the surgury that you will be conducting?

Thank You,

Liposuction may be part  of the surgery.  Glandular excision is always part of the procedure.
Sincerely,

Wouldnt you assume that the doctor would use his best judgement about what does and doesnt look good once you are on the operating table?

Also I work out like a mofo bc of my gyno, so I can reduce the appearance - it is totally consuming my life. I was hoping to have a little leeway after surgery in that I dont have to have 6 workouts (card./weights) per week.

Oh well, please post the results of your surgery!

Once good thing: no compression vest  = incogneto. Sounds like just the excision is a pretty low intensity operation... quick recovery, etc.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024