Author Topic: Healing time????  (Read 3698 times)

Offline panther

• Posting Member
hey all

I'm looking into having surgery, but would like to know some details on the healing process.

I have seen a surgeon and he has informed me that I will need lipo and gland excission.

1. How long does it usually take before the bruising to disappear?

2. How long before I can have a functioning upper body

3. Importantly how long does it for my body not to show signs of surgery? (regardless of scarring)

I want the surgery, but I don't want friends and family to find out about it. The whole process is quite embarrassing.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
1.  Typically... 2-4 weeks depending how your body heals.

2.  2-4 weeks...

3.  Not taking scarring into account...  3-6 months...

There's no telling how you will heal and at what rate. We cannot predict the future my man ;). You may heal quickly. On the other hand, it may take a few months for you to heal to the point where it's not noticeable...

Do you smoke?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline panther

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply

I have never smoked, and I am in my early 20s.

I trying to ascertain if I can keep the surgery hidden from my girlfriend - would it be possible?

Cheers

DrBermant

hey all

I'm looking into having surgery, but would like to know some details on the healing process.

I have seen a surgeon and he has informed me that I will need lipo and gland excission.

1. How long does it usually take before the bruising to disappear?

2. How long before I can have a functioning upper body

3. Importantly how long does it for my body not to show signs of surgery? (regardless of scarring)

I want the surgery, but I don't want friends and family to find out about it. The whole process is quite embarrassing.

Hiding surgery is like hiding an injury.  

Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, surgical techniques, skill of the surgeon, and many other factors. This then becomes a problem and surgeon specific solution.  You need to check your surgeon's skills.  

The more tissue is injured, the longer it will take to heal.  

Bruising and Swelling are signs of bleeding and injury.  I work hard to minimize such bruising.  The Bruising and Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery seen on my website is typical for my patients.  Unfortunately, many surgeons do not show right after surgery pictures, that leaves those interested in seeing such information looking to forums like this one to see early after surgery pictures (which may not stay up very long).  How long a bruise remains depends on the amount of blood in the tissues outside of the vessels, how injured that tissue is, and individual patient factors.  Start out with less bruising or no bruising, and it goes away fast.  End up with a Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery, and it will take a lot longer to resolve.  It is the same for swelling.  Some techniques really damage remaining tissues.  That is one of the reasons I prefer to avoid Ultrasonic, Vasor, and blind cutting techniques.

Return to activities after surgery also depend on the same factors. My patients are up and about the day of surgery. Working on a keyboard is easy. Lifting arms up over head is stressing injured tissues. Healing tissues do much better protected with After Male Chest Surgery Compression Garments and after surgery care.  I explain to my patients, this surgery is like recovering from a sprain.  With bodybuilding, no pain no gain. In healing, ignore the pain, and you can hurt the healing.  Push healing tissues too far too fast, and you will get more injury, swelling, and a prolonged healing time.  My patients' typical peak swelling is in the operating room.  

Pain and Discomfort After Gynecomastia are other factors that can broadcast your surgery.  My patients typically tell me that they fell like they had a heavy work out.  It is hard to hide from others comfort issues without risking further injury to healing tissues.

Such questions are best directed to your own surgeon and if possible looking for specific examples of how that surgeon's patients evolve after an operation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I trying to ascertain if I can keep the surgery hidden from my girlfriend - would it be possible?

Are you living with your g/f?

How often do you go shirtless, if at all, in front of your g/f?

GB...

Offline panther

• Posting Member

Are you living with your g/f?

How often do you go shirtless, if at all, in front of your g/f?

GB...

yeah mate I live with my girlfriend, but will probably go away for a week and half after surgery. I'm hoping that with in a week an half most of the healing would have been done.

Perhaps I am being to optimistic

Offline freefromG

• Bronze Member
If you are wearing a vest after it you will be required to wear it for about 5-6 weeks... collared shirts are great and no one can tell.
You should also abstain from certain activities for the first 2-4 weeks to minimize injury, might be a little weird when your now the one with the headache lol, after a week and a half you should be driving around again and doing normal light duties. So if you can hide a vest...yeah it can be done
My bruising was gone after the first week, really suprised how good the scars have started to conceal themselves at day 11 already.

If you get a decent PS you definately will not regret it, put on a t-shirt without vest today, one of those cotton under shirts that practically have I HAVE BITCH breasts LOOK^^ written on the front. Well 10 years of emotionally torment was flushed clean from the system when all i could see was clean solid chest ;D 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024