Author Topic: Compression Garments for post surgery??  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Colorado Kid

• Posting Member
So I'm scheduled for surgery Friday.  I'm definitely a little nervous but that's probably normal.  My question is in regards to compression garments.  I was given an "abdominal binder" to be used post surgery as my compression garment.  It seems to compress well but it doesn't cover my complete chest area.  It's a strap about 10" wide that uses Velcro so it fits across your chest and under your arms.  

Has anyone had experience with this type of garment.  I'm wondering if it will have any impact on the healing process being that it does not quite cover my complete chest like other garments I've seen do.  

Any thoughts?   :-\

Kolorado
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:33:39 PM by KoloradoKidd »

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
Get your self the vest on-line  if u don't feel too comfortable using the binder.. My Surgeon gave me a vest with the hook and eye and i bought another one from underworks.com. make sure  you get one or two size smaller because you want adequate compression in your chest area

Good luck.

Offline helpmeplease

• Posting Member
my surgeon told me to buy underarmour shirts that are a size too small. they actually work great and they feel pretty good as well. you kinda start to forget your wearing it

DrBermant

So I'm scheduled for surgery Friday.  I'm definitely a little nervous but that's probably normal.  My question is in regards to compression garments.  I was given an "abdominal binder" to be used post surgery as my compression garment.  It seems to compress well but it doesn't cover my complete chest area.  It's a strap about 10" wide that uses Velcro so it fits across your chest and under your arms.  

Has anyone had experience with this type of garment.  I'm wondering if it will have any impact on the healing process being that it does not quite cover my complete chest like other garments I've seen do.  

Any thoughts?   :-\

Kolorado

I do not like Abdominal Binders for the male chest. They tend to ride down, not stay in place, do not cover the total surgery site on the chest, and can end up with too little or too much pressure on the tissue. Uncalibrated pressure can result in much more bruising and swelling when too little or in dead tissue if applied too tight. The binder was designed for use on the abdomen or stomach. Here there are not the firm rib cage to contend that can translate the pressure into a dangerous diminished blood supply issue.

That is why I prefer to fit each of my own patients before surgery with both a Stage One Compression Garment and a Stage Two After Surgery Vest. That way we are best able to set up as much a predictable compression after surgery as possible to optimize healing and minimize swelling and bruising after Gynecoamastia Surgery. This is one of the many techniques I employ to try to provide a consistent experience for my patients to be like what they find on my website.

Not all After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments are designed the same.  Each company has their own style and issues. I have helped to evolve the ones I use. The company changed the designs to adopt to my suggestions for my patients' comfort.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Colorado Kid

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024