Author Topic: Son's surgery is in 2 weeks!  (Read 7365 times)

Offline dbugmom

• Posting Member
 :)
Well, we have made the decision to go ahead with surgery for my son.  I was the one who posted with questions about using Femara.  After much research and discussing with my sister's oncologist (she has breast cancer and is being treated using Femara) and my pediatrician, we have decided surgery is the best option for us.

Insurance is currently denying coverage, so we will have to make financial arrangements for the $10,000 cost initially, and keep on fighting with insurance.  And, if for some reason they flat out deny coverage, we have come to terms with having to pay the $10,000.  If this surgery makes my son happy, that is priceless - $10,000 is nothing.  Besides, I have always been a firm believer that things have a way of working themselves out.

His surgery date is 12-21.  Unfortunately, it will be over his winter break from school.  But, that period of time will allow him to do most of the healing at home without having worry about missing too much school
(and not having to deal with the drains while in school).

Please pray for him that everything goes smoothly!

Offline Ganesh

• Bronze Member
Congrats... ur son will be having a new life soon...

Money doesnt matter in life....

Everything will go smoothly ....no need to worry...

All the best

Offline desi

• Gold Member
all the best... :-)
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

14mum

Hi Dbugmum

I hope your son is doing well.  My son is 14 and recovering well from surgery. He had gland only removed as the PS wanted to be conservative in approach. He had his 3 month checkup with the PS today and has finally been given go ahead to get back into golf, surfing, boxing etc.as he is very sporty.  My boy has normal body fat so without lipo he will have to excersise to be totally flat.  At 3 months there is still some swelling under the nipples but this is still reducing.  I am letting you know this because the final result is slower than we expected and it really can take 6 months to fully heal.

As for being young i believe its a better option as the skin is more elastic and it really has been interfering with his emotional happiness and sports participation even though he is a talented athlete. Its great to put this embarrassment behind him.

Also we are saying that he tore a muscle to explain compression garment and being excused from sport at school.

Best of luck :)

Offline dbugmom

• Posting Member
 :)Well, we are back from winter break and I am happy to report that!  It could not have gone any better than it did.  There was/is no bruising and very minimal pain.  In fact, the pain wasn't even in the breast area, it was in the muscles you use to raise your arms (where the drain tubes went in). 

He is flat chested now and down to wearing only 1 shirt.  The best part of the whole thing, was insurance came through 8 days after surgery and reversed their decision and will now cover the surgery!

14mum

Hi Dbugmom

;D That's great news, congratulations!    Keep believing and it will all work out somehow.

Wondering did he need lipo plus gland excision?

Thanks for letting us know how it went as i was thinking of you both and of course it helps others in the same boat to read some genuine and first hand stories.

Offline dbugmom

• Posting Member
Thanks 14mum for your concern.  How very nice of you to have been thinking of us.

You know, I guess I'm not exactly sure if they did lipo and gland excision, or just the gland excision.

I guess I didn't even think to ask that.  I was just so darn happy with the results, all I could do is smile and say thank you a dozen times  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024