Author Topic: Booked My Surgery  (Read 8756 times)

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
Hello everyone,

Last week is the first time I found out that my condition had a name, let alone it was a condition. I want the surgery and have already made an appointment with Dr. Lista and I am in the process of booking an appointment with Dr. Fielding.

I am concerned about recovery time and pain post ops. For those of you that have had the surgery, How much pain post ops and how much time do I  need off work.

As well my wife and I are planning on going down south Jul or Aug, if I have surgery in Feb or Mar is that sufficient recovery time.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:34:53 PM by smithers »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Welcome to the club Broh!  ;)

Congrats on making 'The Call'...

Post-Op pain is minimal...  no need to worry about that. It's more of a 'discomfort' actually.

For most, initial recovery time is 1-3 months. Full recovery is 6-12 months.

Time off work all depends on what you do for a living...  If you have a desk job, then 2-3 days would suffice. If you have a physical job with moderate/heavy lifting, then I would suggest 2-3 weeks R&R.

If you have surgery within the next few months, yes, you would be good-to-go by July/August. However, direct sunlight can be detrimental to healing wounds. It would be wise to use a very strong (30+) sunblock on your incision areas while you are down south.

Waiting for you on the 'Other Side'...   ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Hey Smithers,

welcome to the boards! Congrats on booking your consult, it's your first step and so very important. I had my surgery with Dr. Lista, and am currently recovering. The links in my signature are my threads about my experience.

With Dr. Lista's surgery, he strongly recommends you take a full week off. I felt ready and able to go back to work within 4 days, however, it's critical in the early stages of recovery that you just take it easy. Also your line of work plays an important role in answering the question of how soon you can go back to work. Office/desk job types should be fine in a week, but physical labour jobs probably require at least 2 weeks off.

Post op pain is worse the first day - though not to worry, Dr. Lista sends you home with some pretty strong pain meds. I was off the strong stuff and onto tylenol extra strength by the 3rd day. You will probably continue to feel sore for the next week - I'm a week and a half past my op and I still get pain twinges and soreness.

Prepare yourself to deal with post-op swelling and scarring, as well - it seems like everyone suffers from it post-op, to varying degrees.

A feb or mar surgery will give you 3-4 months to recover fully for summer, barring complications, that should be more than ample.

Hope that helped,
Dondante

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the info, a little nervous after reading some posts regarding complications after surgeries. However, I feel it's the way to go. I have been working out for years and everything else gets firmer except the problem area.

Regarding the massaging, how long does this go on for or is every case different?

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
It's gonna be different for every case, depending on how the body heals and how long it takes for the scar tissue to go away. Plus, I've read some people on these boards who never massaged and the scar tissue went away on its own. Dr. Lista makes his patients massage the area with arnica gel for 5 minutes, 3 times a day for however long is required.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I didn't massage my scar tissue... I tried it, but there was some discomfort so I stopped.

I really don't see the need for massaging. All you need is a little patience...  ;)

GB

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Hey GB,

don't want to hijack Smithers' post here, but did you have alot of scar tissue? and how long did it take for it to clear up for you?

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
Got an appointment with Dr. Fielding for next week!

Considering the price difference this may be the way to go.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Good for you! I've read GREAT things about Dr. Fielding. My main reason for not going with him was simply because I was paranoid about permanent scarring on my nipples and to avoid having drains after surgery (I kept my surgery on the down-low, only my wife knew). Keep us posted of your progress!

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
Ok so I met with Fielding, great doc. I have the option of booking the surgery as early as end of Feb or late March. Need to quite smoking so I may book late March, ample time to recover for summer. Risks of surgery still bother me and hence the hesitation.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Risks of surgery still bother me and hence the hesitation.

What risks are bothering you specifically?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Hey GB, did you have alot of scar tissue? and how long did it take for it to clear up for you?

Yes, I had quite a bit actually. JCF had to do alot of lipo work.

It took a few weeks for it to clear up...  not long at all dude...  ;)

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Risks of surgery still bother me and hence the hesitation.

What risks are bothering you specifically?

x2...

GB

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
going under general anaesthetic, infection & clots. I didn't ask fielding but has anyone done the surgery under local anaesthetic?

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
going under general anaesthetic, infection & clots. I didn't ask fielding but has anyone done the surgery under local anaesthetic?

I was INCREDIBLY nervous about the general anaesthetic -in fact, when I was on the gurney, just before the GA was administered, I could hear my heart beating faster on the heart monitor. I remember asking if that was normal, was assured that it was, and the next second I was OUT. I woke in what literally felt 1 second later, and it was done...

I'm sure that Dr. Fielding will require a number of medical information and tests from your GP - which means you will probably see your GP before you have your surgery. Explain your concerns to your GP, I'm sure he will advise if there's anything in particular that you should be worried about. As for infection or clots, I'm sure Dr. Fielding will give you the requisite medications in advance of your surgery to ensure nothing like that happens.

I haven't run across any local anesthetic experiences here, but I've seen footage of lipo being performed - and - I gotta say, I'd rather be fully asleep.

Just my 2 cents,
dondante

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024