Author Topic: Suggestions? Worried about surgery  (Read 2920 times)

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

After lurking on the site for a few months, I finally decided to join.  Like everyone else on here, I've been suffering from gynecomastia since I was a teen.  I've done it all.  Gained weight, lost weight, lifted weights, protein shakes and nothing, nothing seems to work.  At this point, I've finally decided to give surgery some serious consideration.  I have the cash saved up, I've blocked off some time in May, and I'm looking for a surgeon.  My only concern at this point is the safety of the surgery.  I've heard some pretty bad horror stories re. plastic surgery and as much as I'd love to ignore them, they bother me.  That being said, could anyone recommend a plastic surgeon in Texas?  Austin specifically?  I was thinking of going to Dr. Caridi, but am not quite sure yet. He does have a few photos posted on his site, but he seems to lack the expertise that Dr's. Delgado, Bermat and Jacobs posses.  Thoughts anyone?  At this point, it's a matter of going with a doc who has done the surgery several times or wiping out my savings and flying out of state to get it done by someone who is at the top of their game? Also, should I be worried about being put under?  That has to be one of my biggest concerns since I've never had any operation done on me.

Thanks for your help guys.  I really want to get this done before summer. I'm so sick and tired of compression shirts underneath long sleeve button up shirts.  Texas summers are unforgiving.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I do not know that particular Doctor. My lack of knowledge means nothing of any importance though. There are a lot of fine surgeons and I am only familiar with a very few by name or reputation.

What is important is that you are doing some research on your own. With the proper research and finding a Surgeon who has the proper qualifications you need not be too concerned about the surgery. The problems usually arise for one of two reasons. One is that a person has not been totally candid with the surgeon and there are underlying problems that the surgeon should have been informed about. The other is when a person uses price or convenience as the primary concern in the selection of the surgeon and winds up having the surgery done by someone not fully qualified.
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

Hello Everyone,

After lurking on the site for a few months, I finally decided to join.  Like everyone else on here, I've been suffering from gynecomastia since I was a teen.  I've done it all.  Gained weight, lost weight, lifted weights, protein shakes and nothing, nothing seems to work.  At this point, I've finally decided to give surgery some serious consideration.  I have the cash saved up, I've blocked off some time in May, and I'm looking for a surgeon.  My only concern at this point is the safety of the surgery.  I've heard some pretty bad horror stories re. plastic surgery and as much as I'd love to ignore them, they bother me.  That being said, could anyone recommend a plastic surgeon in Texas?  Austin specifically?  I was thinking of going to Dr. Caridi, but am not quite sure yet. He does have a few photos posted on his site, but he seems to lack the expertise that Dr's. Delgado, Bermat and Jacobs posses.  Thoughts anyone?  At this point, it's a matter of going with a doc who has done the surgery several times or wiping out my savings and flying out of state to get it done by someone who is at the top of their game? Also, should I be worried about being put under?  That has to be one of my biggest concerns since I've never had any operation done on me.

Thanks for your help guys.  I really want to get this done before summer. I'm so sick and tired of compression shirts underneath long sleeve button up shirts.  Texas summers are unforgiving.

Actually not all surgeons have the same skills nor offer the same techniques. I have answered similar questions in a prior post:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21157.msg143574;topicseen#msg143574

In picking your surgeon, you are selecting a surgical sculptor, an artist. Do all artists exhibit the same skills?  Pictures and movies before and after surgery from many angles and with muscles flexing are key to understanding what that doctor offers. Pick wrong and, you are right, you can end up with a disaster. Perhaps that is why I see so many patients traveling a great distance who prefer my techniques.

Here is another thread about anesthesia issues. This also is an art form and understanding that doctor's patient experiences is the best way to see how they perform in that aspect.

Good luck on your surgery and picking your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

DrBermant

Hello Everyone,

Actually not all surgeons have the same skills nor offer the same techniques. I have answered similar questions in a prior post:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21157.msg143574;topicseen#msg143574

In picking your surgeon, you are selecting a surgical sculptor, an artist. Do all artists exhibit the same skills?  Pictures and movies before and after surgery from many angles and with muscles flexing are key to understanding what that doctor offers. Pick wrong and, you are right, you can end up with a disaster. Perhaps that is why I see so many patients traveling a great distance who prefer my techniques.

Here is another thread about anesthesia issues. This also is an art form and understanding that doctor's patient experiences is the best way to see how they perform in that aspect.

Good luck on your surgery and picking your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
(804) 748-7737

Here is the anesthesia link I forgot to put in the prior post:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21551.msg146014;topicseen#msg146014

Anesthesia is an art form. That link has resources to many patient experiences with local anesthesia with heavy sedation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
(804) 748-7737

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
thanks Dr. Bermat.  This link you posted helps tremendously.  I'm really thinking of just booking a week of vacation and taking a flight up to Virginia to have it done with you.  You seem extremely knowledgeable, and that's reassuring (especially in the world of cosmetic surgery). I was thinking of going to Dr. Caridi here in Austin, but his site just doesn't offer as much as yours does.  It's a shame. Now I need to start thinking of how to conquer my fear of flying so I can fly up to Viriginia--hopefully this May.

You see, I've saved a good 10 grand for this operation, and I am really doing my research. I don't want it to be a waste, and most importantly, I don't want it cost me my life.  Guess I really need to do my homework.

Once again, thanks for your help. 

DrBermant

thanks Dr. Bermat.  This link you posted helps tremendously.  I'm really thinking of just booking a week of vacation and taking a flight up to Virginia to have it done with you.  You seem extremely knowledgeable, and that's reassuring (especially in the world of cosmetic surgery). I was thinking of going to Dr. Caridi here in Austin, but his site just doesn't offer as much as yours does.  It's a shame. Now I need to start thinking of how to conquer my fear of flying so I can fly up to Viriginia--hopefully this May.

You see, I've saved a good 10 grand for this operation, and I am really doing my research. I don't want it to be a waste, and most importantly, I don't want it cost me my life.  Guess I really need to do my homework.

Once again, thanks for your help. 

We see many patients from Texas who prefer my techniques. Most fly, but some actually drive to Richmond. To minimize travel to Virginia, most patients start with our preliminary remote discussion. With the remote, patients typically can schedule a tentative surgery that follows the day after their confirmatory in office consultation. Otherwise once seen in the office, surgery will then need to wait until the next available opening usually several weeks later. Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
(804) 748-7737

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024