Author Topic: How long did you have your drains?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline David22

• Posting Member
I'm curious as to how long you guys had your drains before the doctor removed them?

I'm getting mine removed tomorrow (Friday);  I had surgery on Monday.

Thanks,
David

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
I had surgery Monday as well, and I hope they come out at my checkup with the PS tomorrow.  I never knew how annoying they could be until I had to deal with them myself.  ;)

Offline David22

• Posting Member
How much drainage do you have now?

I'm at around 10cc over a 24 hour period.

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
My bulbs don't have real measurements on them.  There was never very much, maybe a quarter cup the day after the surgery, then a tablespoon, then a teaspoon, the a fraction of teaspoon, and since yesterday, just a few drops really.

Offline lexuslexus

• Bronze Member
lol i had my drains removed the day after surgery before i left the hospital  ;)

Offline David22

• Posting Member
Just got back from having drains removed.

Haven't taken any pain medication since surgery day.

Didn't hurt at all; didn't even feel it.  I think chest drains that protrude into the chest cavity are probably the only ones that would hurt upon removal.

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Hey David, are you as happy as I am to be rid of them?  After that, the rest of recovery seems like its too easy  ;) 

I didn't feel anything either.  After reading some of the posts here, I was ready to bite down and just hoped to stifle the scream enough to not scare anyone in the waiting room, but I didn't feel a thing.

Offline David22

• Posting Member
Personally, I didn't find any more discomfort with the drains; just more of an inconvenience.

It was more of a psychological relief having the drains removed than anything.

DrBermant

I'm curious as to how long you guys had your drains before the doctor removed them?

I'm getting mine removed tomorrow (Friday);  I had surgery on Monday.

Thanks,
David

Designing my surgery to minimize the use of drains is a key factor to help maximize my patients comfort after gynecomastia surgery.  When I need a drain, it is often on one side only and each patient tells me what a difference the comfort is the non-drain side vs. the drain side.

A drain increases the chance of infection, usually needs additional antibiotics until the drain is removed, often needs a second incision site for the drain, and has a scar that can be avoided when drains are not needed.  Sometimes a drain is just needed for the operation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024