Author Topic: Pre Op...Lose Fat or Gain Muscle?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline PadreJJ

I wanna get loose skin surgery soon, and I'm wondering weather I should really focus on loosing fat, at the point where I'm eating minimal amount of calories a day without going into starvation mode and losing fat. Or should I lose the fat slow, and gain muscle while at it? I definatly will have to get lipo along with surgery, and I have not found a surgeon yet and will soon.

I'm into bodybuilding, so I want a good solid body after surgery, I dont wanna get my skin pulled, then pack on muscle and look deformed, or does it not work that way?

Offline PadreJJ

Btw, a question for dr bermant. Long time follower and reader of your page, I wish you were in California so I could just come to you for my surgeries..are their any surgeons here in or around Los Angeles that you do recommend?

DrBermant

I wanna get loose skin surgery soon, and I'm wondering weather I should really focus on loosing fat, at the point where I'm eating minimal amount of calories a day without going into starvation mode and losing fat. Or should I lose the fat slow, and gain muscle while at it? I definatly will have to get lipo along with surgery, and I have not found a surgeon yet and will soon.

I'm into bodybuilding, so I want a good solid body after surgery, I dont wanna get my skin pulled, then pack on muscle and look deformed, or does it not work that way?

Gradual weight loss is typically better than rapid.  Skin contracts better and you have a better chance of keeping the weight off since habits are changed over time.  Building muscle is often part of the weight loss process for many.

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.

Weight Loss, Dealing With Excess Skin of the Chest and Body is also a major emotional issue.

Check out this section on the emotion of body lift surgery for those after massive weight loss:

Personal experiences and emotions of dealing with weight, loose skin, and body lift surgery.

I see many patients after massive weight loss and most men list their chest as their biggest concern.  When there are issues of Lifting Drooping Breast or Male Mastopexy for Chest Ptosis from Loose Skin, understanding issues of the whole body are very important.  Lifting the nipple / areola back into position typically needs to be part of the solution.  Having drooping nipples below the pectoral muscles can look bizarre.

The problem is that once the chest has been sculpted, the remaining deformities tend to stand out more.  If a patient needs to consider Lower Body Lift Surgery or Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty, either operation tends to pull the nipple areola lower.  Having the coarser lower surgery first is typically the better solution to minimize needing to then revise the chest. 

Combining both operations can make recovery more difficult.  My Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift patients find that their arms are very helpful in getting back to normal.  Male chest sculpture can limit upper arm function during early healing.  In addition, there is only so much safe tumescent solution that can be used, and both areas at once negates my Tumescent Tummy Tuck option which has proven so much more comfortable for my patients.

Take your time and look at the many videos and movies showing the three dimensional nature of the problem and the solution for this problem after massive weight loss.  It can take some time to review these massive sections on my website, but the education can be very important.

Btw, a question for dr bermant. Long time follower and reader of your page, I wish you were in California so I could just come to you for my surgeries..are their any surgeons here in or around Los Angeles that you do recommend?

Sorry, no. However, we do see many patients from around the world who prefer my techniques.  We have a Preliminary Remote Discussion Package that helps our patients minimize travel to Richmond.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024