Author Topic: Medical Tests  (Read 3697 times)

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Hi,

I've only been on these forums for about a month but after reading everything I am going ahead with surgery. I am a 21 year old student from the UK. I have contacted a surgeon in India, and he has asked me to have the following tests

1. CBC
2. Prothrombin Time
3. Free T4
4. TSH
5. Blood pressure

Just a couple of questions, if you can help me out guys.

First, what do they all mean?

Second, how do I get them done? Do I just go to my local GP and ask for them? Would I need to tell him why I need them? Can he refuse if he doesn't agree with my need for surgery? Or do I go elsewhere?

Third, I am a smoker, do I need to give up smoking prior to surgery? Obviously, I should give up anyway, but I have my finals exams coming up so it is not the ideal time to give up. Also, in the same vein, I am 6ft 1 and weigh approximately 205 pounds, do I need to lose weight? Once again, it is obvious I do, but I'm spending most my time in the library at the moment so it is not the perfect time for me to embark on a fitness regime.

Sorry, for all the questions. I have never had surgery before so am quite worried

Thanks in advance

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Not sure about the tests, but someone else should be able to fill you in on what those are...

Smoking:
The nicotine of the tobacco causes the blood vessels of the body to constrict.  This not only raises the blood pressure, but my also affect the circulation of the tissues handled during surgery and produce necrosis (dead tissue), delayed healing etc.

The carbon monoxide inhaled replaces some oxygen in the blood.  This means that tissues, organs and muscles in the body do not get their normal supply of oxygen.  This is undesirable under normal conditions and certainly hinders healing after surgery.

You will need to stop smoking about a month before surgery and for a month after.

Losing weight:
Losing excess fat before surgery always helps give better results.  Less fat = less lipo required, probably less loose skin, less bruisng and swelling.
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the info gorm.

I hope someone can answer my other questions.......

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
-CBC = complete blood count.  Basically just tests the "health" of your red blood cells

-Prothrombin Time is used to determine the clotting tendency of blood.

-Free T4 and TSH both test for a thyroid condition

-Blood pressure is pretty obvious... they just make sure it's not abnormal.

Your surgeon should have given you a prescription for the blood tests.  You can get them done at any hospital.  Your GP will probably be able to do them too.

Also, the more weight you lose, the better your results will be.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:08:18 PM by Twin Peaks »

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Thanks twin peaks, that really helps.

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to get these tests done - do I just go to my GP?

I'm from the UK btw, if that helps

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024