Author Topic: .  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Cantspell

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:39:46 AM by slayerforhope »

Offline zane949

• Bronze Member
Definitely get in shape before surgey, you will end up with a better result, and your body will be much healthier and will heal faster.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, I agree with losing weight prior to surgery -- you will be healthier and should get better results from the operation.  But realize that if you lose weight, it may not come off your chest -- usually that is one of the last areas from which you will lose weight or size.

Also, losing 5 - 10 pounds prior to surgery will not really make a difference.  And going on a crazy weight loss diet that isn't very healthy is also not a good idea -- you need to go into surgery as nutritionally sound as possible.

And exercising?  That never hurts.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I know that you can't resolve Gyne. through excersize alone, so I wanted to get that out there.

I am really anticipating having my Gyne. removed, and I was wondering, if I work out and burn off some of the excess fat I have in my breast region, will, or could it help with achieving better results after surgery?

I know that I should view the before and after pics of procedures that my Surgeon has done, but I tend to think that people who have more muscle in the pectorals have a better outcome than those who have some, or close to none at all.

Actually I have seen patients deal with their fat only contour problem with weight loss alone! They are the exception, but several have come back after a weight loss discussion showing how great their chest looks without surgery. We do not charge for that return visit: a triumph for gynecomastia sculpture, one with no scar.

The problem is that Male Fat Pattern extends around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem. 

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery.  A BMI Calculator does not differentiate between fat, muscle, and bone.  Body Fat Calculators can help with the fat percentage and are better at helping with the fat component.

For those with too much body fat, Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from.

The biggest change I have noticed over the years, is that patients who lose weight tell me that they feel so much better about themselves. It often changes the front to a degree, but the sides and back can see a major benefit from getting the excess total body fat under control.

As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement.

For someone with a normal body fat, further fat loss tends to unmask the contours of the remaining gland. I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia. Building muscle also tends to push whatever sits on top of the muscle further out. For my Extreme Athletes with nearly no body fat and gynecomastia, I prefer to work on them during their off season weight. Too little fat and there are not enough resources to target gland first.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024