Author Topic: vancouver surgeons  (Read 6908 times)

Offline vancouverjd

Can anyone tell me of any good doctors in the vancouver/fraser valley area to talk to?  After twenty years of putting up with this problem, I'd finally like to do something about it.  I'd consider going to toronto like some posts on here have suggested but would like to get more info on costs and good surgeons in this area first.

Offline rowdy99

• Bronze Member
had my surgery in vancouver..
i send you an IM regarding who and what...

Offline mecca_00

• Bronze Member
hey rowdy99, Could you send that info to me as well; i am interested in learning more about surgeons in vancouver as well.
Thanks

Offline Sour_Dough

Hey there,

Would you mind sending me the information too?  I've been thinking about getting the procedure done for a while, but hearing from you would be a great first step.

Thanks.

Offline manwithnoname

• Bronze Member
Hey man you could send it to me too if you don't mind, or with so many people asking I am sure everyone here would appreciate you just posting it in the thread.

Thanks a lot.

Offline 1234567

• Posting Member
I would also like the information.

Offline tripsz

• Posting Member

Offline guistar

• Posting Member
  I had mine done by Dr Brown in Richmond.   It was a piece of cake and was cheaper then anyone else. He charged around 3300. Everyone else I called was charging almost twice that.

Offline Calpin

Same here, I would also like the information plz

Offline kellgore

Could you send me the info as well please?

Offline brwndominator

Offline iceman153

Hi All,  If anyone actually received information about surgeons in Vancouver can you please post it back to this thread?  Would be great if there was a proper list of the options available in vancouver.   I've been to see Dr Lorne Brown who seems to be the most frequently mentioned surgeon in vancouver.  he seemed very profressional and was quite nice, he just isn't able to cover the surgery under MSP.  He quoted me ~ $4300 for the surgery which is quite reasonable considering it's not covered at all.   My only worry is his experience with the surgery, he only performs about 10-20 gynecomastia surgeries a year, that doesn't compare to fieldings 200-300 per year.

So I am still contemplating flying to toronto to go with Dr Fielding due to his experience, the fact it's covered by OHIP which i have access to will more than cover the travel costs, but makes things extremely inconvenient. 

Anyone ever tried flying in from out of town?  is Fielding able schedule the pre-op meeting and surgery within a day or two of each other?  I've already had a consult in vancouver and am in no doubt about my condition and the need for surgery, would have no problem giving a downpayment before meeting him.  Is it possible to do post-op care with a local surgeon?   Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline clay

• Posting Member
I went to Fielding from Vancouver.  It usally is a month from consultation to operation day, but you can ask to be put in if someone cancels.  I had my consultaion feb 23 and the surgery march 5.  I didn't go to dr. Brown because I've read on these boards that he mainly does just lipo and says he can get gland doing just lipo.  I believe the only way to get rid of gyne is with excision.  As for post op care, as long as you dont have a hematoma you will be fine healing at home.  Dr. Fielding told me that after two days it is highly unlikely to have a hematoma unless you are doing something very strenuous.

My surgery cost $2100, $100 for hotel, $1400 for flights and then a few bucks for food and buses.  So far I'm pleased with everything.

Offline iceman153

Hey Clay,

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm glad i'm not the only one considering this :)  First of all congratulations that everything went well!  I'm curious about a few things tho :)  It looks like from the ammount you said you spent on flights that you made two trips to toronto?  One for the consult and then for surgery correct?  I assume the consult trip was just a quick day trip, but for the surgery did you arrive the day before, and then leave after the surgery?  or did you need to spend another night for fielding to checkup on how things went before heading home?

Did your BC MSP cover the surgery?  or do you have access to OHIP?  For me to get OHIP i'd have to go through my parents that are living in toronto and i'd rather not if i don't have to :)

With the flights and expenses tacked on it's roughly similar cost wise, so the only benefit to choosing Dr Brown is that I can go see him whenever I may need to.  Say for example a revision was required, it would make that much easier.   But it sounds like the chances of needing post-op care are quite small, but that probably depends on how servere the gyne is.  Mine are definately on the larger side of the pictures i've seen hence the worrying :)

Thanks

Offline iceman153

Update : So i just called Dr Fieldings office, and found out something i havn't seen on these forums before - if you have been to see a local surgeon that has already examined you, you can get your medical records faxed to dr fieldings office along with mailing some decent photos of your condition to them and assuming they provide enough detail you can get around having to do the consult visit and just turn up for the surgery.  For people coming in from out of town that can save a lot of hassle.   Note if you get referred by a family doctor for the consult, the consult is covered under BC MSP.  You can also organize a phone consult to get any of your questions answered and have him talk you through things.

Another interesting note that she told me - any expenses incurred for medical reasons can be written off on your income tax as medical expenses, so keep all the receipts for the airfare, hotel, food, taxi, etc..  and you can claim them on your next tax return.

Given all of this I think i am definately going to goto Dr Feilding for my surgery, If i do have any post op issues I'm sure i can find someone local to help with those.  Even if i need to fly back for a revision it's still ends up cheaper than using someone local, and your getting a doctor with more experience.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024