Author Topic: Looking for some medical advice  (Read 3931 times)

Offline CLaSH

• Posting Member
This is mainly directed to some of the medical professionals who frequent this board at times, but if anyone else has any relevant input it would be appreciated.

Here's where I'm at right now:  I've already acquired some of the materials I need for preforming the procedure myself; I've got sutures, a scalpel, and other minor accessories like a surgical mask and latex gloves to minimize any risk of infection.  Obviously, everything I have is purchased new, is hospital-grade equipment, and is therefore sterile so that's not too concerning to me at the moment. 

So here is my first question.  Aside from the materials already in my possession, what else would I need to properly preform the procedure?  What would be the ideal tool to extract the scar tissue after I've already made the incision; would a sterile pair of tweezers be able to get the job done, or is there something else that would be more efficient for whatever reasons?  In addition to any sort of extraction-like tool, is there anything more I should get a hold of?

Secondly, would it be wise to purchase something along the lines of a syringe full of adrenaline, in case I were to go into shock?  Admittedly, that isn't something that I'm too concerned with, but I'm wondering if there's any chance that such a relatively 'minor' procedure would send someone into shock.  Also, are there any recommendations on a decent local anesthesia that I could purchase - preferably one which is injected opposed to the topical kinds.

And most importantly, after I make the incision, what can I expect as far as removing the scar tissue goes?  Will I be able to extract each piece fairly easily as if it were suspended in a 'gel-like' substance or am I going to need to slice around all parts before being able to pull them out?  I would appreciate a very detailed, descriptive explanation of what I can expect so I'm not going in there without any foreknowledge of what I need to do. 

If you can think of any other good advice to give me, I'm all ears.  And please refrain from the "don't do this" suggestions, because I'm going to preform the procedure whether I can get any medical advice or not; it would be in my interest to have the advice of a medical professional beforehand, but I'm going through with it either way.  (on that note, private messages would be acceptable as well)

Thanks guys.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Ummm, good luck... Hope you don't deform yourself.

I really doubt any PS would risk their license to help a do-it-yourselfer perform the surgery. I can't believe you'd even ask. I really hope you're kidding, otherwise......
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:35:45 PM by DCBR78 »
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Do you think surgeons go to school for 8+ years for nothing?  Surgery is practice that takes a "little bit" of skill and experience.  Performing your own surgery is like saying you want to build your own rocket to fly to the moon by yourself.

Somebody else thought up the same bright idea a few weeks ago...here's his thread:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=13310.0

I really hope you are joking...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:53:04 PM by Twin Peaks »

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
i read an article a few years back about a peircer/tatoo artist that did his own gyne surgery, successfully too if i remember correctly.

also read of a few guys who tried it and ended up in the ER

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Here's a tip... Take before and after pictures... lots of them, and post them here on this board. Then, we here at the board can keep these pictures to show other morons why they should NOT attempt this at home.

Seriously, if you're going to do this, then I wish you luck. You've obviously got some major cojones. Too bad common sense and cojones dont normally come together.

Offline jtd993

• Posting Member
This is not a simple procedure.  The chest is very vascular and you will get into serious bleeding.  This cannot be performed without cautery, proper instruments, assistant, etc...  If you care about yourself enough to get rid of gyne, you must care enough not to bleed to death, have a serous infection, etc.. too.  Besides, you will look like hamburger when you're done.

This condition will drive us to extreme measures.  I thought about it myself "I could just cut the shit out" but seriously, see a surgeon.  Now if were a mole or something...

By the way, I had my surgery 2 days ago.  (excision and lipo)  Make an appointment, have it done properly and put this shit in your past.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A patient who treats himself has a fool for a Doctor.

A Doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient.

Those things being said, What do you need besides the basic instruments? Well, I think 8 years of school followed by 4 or more years of specialized training would be a good start.

Operating on yourself has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that comes up here.

Your chances of success are virtually nil. Your chances of being severely disfigured are astronomically high.
Grandpa Dan

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
A patient who treats himself has a fool for a Doctor.

A Doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient.

Those things being said, What do you need besides the basic instruments? Well, I think 8 years of school followed by 4 or more years of specialized training would be a good start.

Operating on yourself has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that comes up here.

Your chances of success are virtually nil. Your chances of being severely disfigured are astronomically high.

Funny, cause it's true... But telling everyone that if the doctor's won't help he'll just do it anyways is funnier cause it's supposed to be some moral guilt trip that they'll be responsible for his disfigurement.

Offline Audreyi

• Posting Member
OGM please take some time and effort into trying to get a loan or soliciting money to pay for the surgery from another source.  The amount of time and energy you would put into trying to disfigure yourself would be better served into looking for another financial answer.  I understand the desperation but please do it right

Offline jackanonymous

• Bronze Member

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude.... read this:

i sympathize, but we're talking baaaaad idea here.  far better to get a second job, finagle a credit card, or lay off beer for a year or two.  here's past comment by me on the subject (the guy was planning excision, but same basic issues, you can't just hook up your shop vac): 

first off, you'd want an x-acto knife instead of a razor blade.  second, it's not going to be a nice, neat, yank on something and it detaches, it's going to be a tearing, fleshy mess.  third, you're going to bleed like crazy because you don't have what it takes to arrest that.  fourth, you have a hugely inferior viewing perspective compared to a surgeon.  fifth, you'd have no anaesthesia:  thinking you can do weird angle fine surgery like that is like believing you can assemble a plastic model with a dog chewing on your leg.  sixth, you'd leave unreconstructed craters.  seventh, a lousy stitching job is going to leave scars of the scale that with the cratering might be worse than the gyne.

so if you are uninterested in such details as anesthesia difficulties, bleeding or infection risks, lousy visuals onto the op area, unforeseen complications, let me just make the suggestion you keep a cell phone with a speed-dial for 911 close and handy.

that last part does assume you're still conscious.  shop around and ride a greyhound if you have to, if you had the hots for a good used car, you'd figure a way too.  but putting your life (and/or chest) at risk is not worth four or five grand.   

oh yes, and God forbid you or any of us should wind up as a featured item on news of the weird :( 

So... after reading that little passage, if you still want to D-I-Y, well, all I can say is "Good luck with that..."

And BTW dude, it's not 'scar tissue' that gets removed, it mammary gland tissue. 'Scar tissue' only develops after the surgery, a few days/weeks post-op....  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline what2do?

• Silver Member
just go to ebay and you'll find all that stuff your looking for ..lol j/k

DrBermant

This is mainly directed to some of the medical professionals who frequent this board at times, but if anyone else has any relevant input it would be appreciated.

Here's where I'm at right now:  I've already acquired some of the materials I need for preforming the procedure myself; I've got sutures, a scalpel, and other minor accessories like a surgical mask and latex gloves to minimize any risk of infection.  Obviously, everything I have is purchased new, is hospital-grade equipment, and is therefore sterile so that's not too concerning to me at the moment. 

So here is my first question.  Aside from the materials already in my possession, what else would I need to properly preform the procedure?  What would be the ideal tool to extract the scar tissue after I've already made the incision; would a sterile pair of tweezers be able to get the job done, or is there something else that would be more efficient for whatever reasons?  In addition to any sort of extraction-like tool, is there anything more I should get a hold of?

Secondly, would it be wise to purchase something along the lines of a syringe full of adrenaline, in case I were to go into shock?  Admittedly, that isn't something that I'm too concerned with, but I'm wondering if there's any chance that such a relatively 'minor' procedure would send someone into shock.  Also, are there any recommendations on a decent local anesthesia that I could purchase - preferably one which is injected opposed to the topical kinds.

And most importantly, after I make the incision, what can I expect as far as removing the scar tissue goes?  Will I be able to extract each piece fairly easily as if it were suspended in a 'gel-like' substance or am I going to need to slice around all parts before being able to pull them out?  I would appreciate a very detailed, descriptive explanation of what I can expect so I'm not going in there without any foreknowledge of what I need to do. 

If you can think of any other good advice to give me, I'm all ears.  And please refrain from the "don't do this" suggestions, because I'm going to preform the procedure whether I can get any medical advice or not; it would be in my interest to have the advice of a medical professional beforehand, but I'm going through with it either way.  (on that note, private messages would be acceptable as well)

Thanks guys.

I have seen horrible disasters from those trying "self surgery."  Scars and deformity that I have seen from such misadventures compromise what I can offer for a final result. 

A doctor who has himself as a patient, has a fool for a doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024