Author Topic: Question about Surgery  (Read 2491 times)

Offline tlkgmp

• Posting Member
I had my very first consult yesterday with a Dr. here in Portland. As she described the surgery she said she would be making a lateral incision (sort of by my outer pec and near my lower armpit area) for the liposuction. Then she would make a second incision just below my nipple for the removal of the glands. Does this sound right? Why make two incisions? Feedback from Dr's or anyone who has undergone this sort of procedure would be appreciated.

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
That is standard!

DrBermant

I had my very first consult yesterday with a Dr. here in Portland. As she described the surgery she said she would be making a lateral incision (sort of by my outer pec and near my lower armpit area) for the liposuction. Then she would make a second incision just below my nipple for the removal of the glands. Does this sound right? Why make two incisions? Feedback from Dr's or anyone who has undergone this sort of procedure would be appreciated.

Each surgeon has his / her own methods.  Check out many before and after surgery pictures to see what that particular sugeon offers.  Such pictures should be from many different angles to best understand what happened with that surgery. 

Liposuction techniques traditionally suggested that at least 2 access sites for each region minimized cross hatching from the cannula tracks.  Remote incisions permit faster liposuction, shorter operating time, more cases in a day.  The center chest incision was abandoned by many since the scar is quite visible and the central chest is the worst place on the body for scarring.  The armpit incision is favored by some.

The problem is picking the right method for what actually is that patient's problem.  That is why I prefer my Dynamic Technique that permits what I find during surgery to guide my sculpture.  The incision at the edge of the areola  opens up my entire spectrum of artist's pallet of tools for my sculpture.  A remote incision robs me of many options and just does not looks as nice.

I have also seen patients with channel problems between remote access sites and the areola / nipple.  Scars, adhesions, and depressions can look terrible.  Check out the lateral (side views) and posterior oblique (side from the back views with and without muscle flexion here to see what I mean.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024