Author Topic: Alcohol and Tobacco after surgery?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline mtlgyno

• Bronze Member
Hello, I just had my surgery done a few days ago, and I was wondering when I can start drinking and smoking again?

I had no gland removed, just liposuction.

Thanks!

Also, if there is excessive bleeding (the compression vest is drenched, although now it is dry) Is it best to go and change the vest and bandages?

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
Yikes!

Your compression vest was drenched with blood? Maybe I misunderstood your post, but if I didn't, I'd recommend you call your plastic surgeon right away.

I had just lipo too and although there was some dried blood on the small bandages over the lipo incisions, I never had any blood on my vest.

Did you have drains inserted? If so, could those be leaking?

Offline mediaguy28

• Posting Member
There is a LOT of drainage after lipo. Most of it is the fluid that they pump into you. Its usually tinged with blood when it drains and gives the impression that your bleeding a lot. Its usually not an issue but your doc should have warned you about it. I had to put womens feminine pads under my vest for a few days after surgery to collect the drainage. Its pretty gross but not unexpected.

As for the drinking and smoking. I didnt smoke 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after. Smoking constricts blood vessels and slows the healing process. You just spent a lot of money on this surgery. You should try not to do anything to impair your final results. Alcohol is probably ok after a week as long as you arent taking pain meds. But be prepared. when you do finally drink you may be a bit swollen the next day. I drank a few weeks after the surgery and was very swollen the next day. Your body has been through a trauma with the surgery. drinking and smoking just adds to the stress your body is under. try to take it easy for a few weeks so that you can really enjoy your results once your healed.

Offline mtlgyno

• Bronze Member
thanks guys, yeah it was just the fluids I was told.

Also, one more question about smoking, I am not a smoker, I smoke maybe 1 day a week. But I read that smoking only delays results, it won't alter the final result. Is this true?

Also, How long after liposuction can I start doing pushups, bench press and more heavy lifting? I am supposed to help my friend move next week, thanks!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024