Author Topic: Experience with Bermant (surgery performed 5/1/2010)  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
Today is 10 days post-op and this is the first thread I've started.

My gynecomastia started during middle school, and I remember having swollen and extremely tender lumps under my nipples, which had become puffy.  The tenderness went away when I was about 14 but the puffiness never did.  I was self conscious about my nipples ever since they became puffy.  I was always reluctant to take my shirt off in public, always wore tight undershirts, and took great care to buy shirts whose design or shape masked my chest contour.  I am more muscular than your average dude and maintain a body fat around 12% as determined by caliper tests (Dr. Bermant's hand held device put me at 16%, I don't trust that thing!).  Nothing about my build other than my chest has ever been a concern for me.  After trolling this site for a year or so and checking out sites of various surgeons, I decided to go through with the procedure with Dr. Bermant.  He gets a lot of praise and is very experienced, plus his site is huge and very helpful.

Age-23
Race-Caucasian
Height-6'3"
Weight-215

Because I live in another state (about an 11 hour drive from his office) I scheduled a remote consultation with Dr. Bermant.  This involved filling out some forms and sending in pictures of my chest from a few angles.  He called me as scheduled and discussed many aspects about getting the surgery done.  We planned a 3 day course of action for the end of April.  It was going to be pre-op on the 28th, surgery the 29th, and follow-up on the 30th.  There was a slight complication, though...

Having been on the road a couple of days without taking my shirt off, I had developed a pimple right on my sternum between the nipples.  I didn't even see it until my shower the morning of the pre-op.  I got there, he saw it, and said he would feel uneasy operating on me with the pimple present.  He gave me the option of moving my operation date back two days (luckily a spot opened up) or going through with it on the planned date with the understood increased risk of infection from the pimple.  Though extremely annoyed at first, I chose to move it back.  I soon stopped being annoyed because safety should be a top concern and the man knows what he's talking about.  He put me on antibiotics and had me do a topical sterilizing treatment to make things safe in the meantime.

Before I move on, I want to comment on Dr. Bermant and his staff.  Some people online accuse him of being unfriendly or mean, but I don't think he is.  He is a professional and deals with his patients on professional but caring terms.  If something is a concern or risk, he says it flat out and doesn't beat around the bush.  He makes statements and asks questions straight forward without bullshitting.  This is how a professional surgeon should behave, and it was comforting and reassuring to know that the man who would change my life was a consummate pro.  His staff is awesome.  The receptionist L_____ was very friendly and comfortable joking around, and the office administrator J____ (names allowed or not? idk) was very helpful and perhaps the nicest woman on the planet.  The anesthesiologist J___ was great, and so was the nurse K____.  Everyone on the staff made me feel comfortable and secure.  Not even one questionable or unprofessional moment happened in my time at the office.

The surgery ended up happening on Saturday, May 1.  The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was the anesthesiologist J____ asking me "here comes the anesthesia, where do you want to go on your trip?"  I answered "the future" and the nurse K____ said "good answer.  We can do future."  I woke up and staggered to my clothes like everyone else, wearing the compression vest.  They told me that I had gotten fat flaps done because quite a bit of gland had been removed.  Therefore, I have been limited in my ability to move my arms around.

I forgot the numbers exactly, but I think something like 40 cc of fat were taken on average from each side.  It wasn't much at all.  They showed me the gland tissue though, and I was surprised at how much came out.  Good riddance though!

My follow up was Monday, May 3.  The compression vest came off for the first time and I got a hint of the new contour through the white bandaid squares that still covered the nips.  It looked great from what I saw!  He checked me out, took some pictures, and discussed some issues about taking care of myself during recovery.  Because I had fat flaps sewn, he had me come in 4 days later (May 7) so he could remove the dressings himself.  I was thrilled at what I saw in the mirror when I first saw the new contour.  There was swelling and bruising, but it already looked great.  I can't wait to see how it looks when the healing has progressed further.

And Dr. Bermant, if you happen to read this, did you intentionally create a Star of David with my steristrips?  I've seen a lot of your before/afters and I am the only one I know of with Stars of David on my nipples and I find it pretty funny.

I was pretty sore for the first few days after the surgery, but it was manageable.  I only had to take tylenol twice within the first 48 hours so I could sleep, but that was the only pain medication I've needed.  Every day the pain and bruising are less and my range of motion is greater.

My experience so far has been 100% positive.  I will take photos periodically so people can see the progression of my chest as more healing occurs.

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
And here is my sexy gland tissue on top of me:

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
This is 6 days post-op, right after Dr. Bermant removed the dressings:

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
And finally, here are some close ups of the nipples before and 6 days after.  Notice the Star of David steristrips.

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Hey
gynesaur post op pic4.jpg. Maybe I'am wrong but why is it still looking as if it's pre op? I could be wrong but something wrong with that view angle? and congrats for surgery!
Sid

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
You mean the curving of the chest?  A few things might make it look different from what you'd expect.

1.  It's only 6 days after the operation and I was still quite swollen
2.  My chest is not flat because I have decent sized pectoral muscles.  I'd rather have the muscular curve but without the puffy nipple on top.
3.  I couldn't use proper posture when the picture was taken because I felt sore and tight from the surgery.  My drooping shoulders probably made the chest look a bit saggier than it should.

Today is 12 days after surgery and the swelling is WAY down from the post op pics I've already posted.  And I am very happy with the contour!

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Yes I think you're right. Infact When I saw your pre op pics you looked pretty ripped and postop too obviously. It must be the pecs along with the swelling and since now the swelling is gone so it's just pecs :D I've been gymming too and have a decent amount of pecs so my surgery is scheduled next month. Hope I get in good shape after that :D
Sid

Offline bballer14

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
Hey bballer-

I've been periodically posting pictures of my progress on this thread:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20645.0

Today is exactly 19 months since the surgery, and I'll probably post some new pictures on that thread within the next few days.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Hey bballer-

I've been periodically posting pictures of my progress on this thread:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20645.0

Today is exactly 19 months since the surgery, and I'll probably post some new pictures on that thread within the next few days.

Umm.. I think you mean 19 weeks...

great results by the way!
... and the saga continues

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
Haha yes, I meant 19 weeks.  Thanks for the comment...it looks even better now!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024