Author Topic: What to tell work about surgery  (Read 8076 times)

Offline Jimmy99

• Posting Member
I have my surgery planned for next month.  I plan to take a week off work.  There is no issue with getting the time off.  However I do not want to devulge to work people what I am doing.  I work in an office as a systems analyst btw.

I thought I could have a fake story about what type of surgery I was having (or had).  I figure if I returned to work after 7 days (moderate case, lipo, surgical removal of glands and minor lift) I might still have limited movement ir someone might notice bandages.

So what's a good story?  I first thought shoulder surgery sicne it is in the same general area but typically the recover is lenghty and requires a sling. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Never tell a lie to your employer about the reason for an absence. It could cause you to lose your job if you ever get caught later.

The trick is to tell the truth, but not all of it and perhaps mislead a bit.

"I had a growth removed, not malignant, Thanks for your concern."

Since the statement is true (even if misleading) it cannot come back and bite you at a later date.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
I'll be telling work that I'm getting some chest tissue removed that could possibly cause cancer in the future.  (Older men can actually get breast cancer).  That is all they need to know..and I'm sure if they want it in writing from the surgeon, he can easily write down that he removed some tissue from my chest because that is exactly what he is doing!

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
those are all good answers, but some of you are forgetting that if the issue is medical, and the issue did not 'happen' at work, nor has/will affect your work performance in any way, then by law that medical information is confidential and patient/doctor privilege is in effect. contrary to what some think, you cannot get fired for not divulging this type of information.

so it depends on your comfort level. if you do not even want to go to anything 'chest' with them, you don't have to. just say like the other posters are saying but leave out the chest part and say your back... that would explain the vest/belt if they ask, and it would explain the limited mobility too.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
I had my surgery on a Thursday (yesterday) and told my boss a week ago that I had to be out two work days for a 'lipoma' removal.  I told him I had to take two days off because one day is for hte surgery and the second day is for recovery and a follow up with the doctor (on Friday).  I told him I was being a real hero by giving up my weekend for more recovery time, blah, blah, blah.

I don't know how severe your case is...mine is prob about a 6 out of 10), but I feel like I could go back to my desk job tomorrow.

Here's the thing about my work that is worth repeating to you:  the immediate boss whom I told about my surgery was out sick on Wednesday, the day before my surgery.  I told him in my initial conversation that I wanted this kep extremely confidential becuase I don't want attention, sympathy, nor do I want to go into explanation with anyone about what I am having done.

So the VP of our region comes over to my cubicle, and for eveyrone within ear shot to hear says, "So, you're having surgery tomorrow, huh?  You know you'll need a doctor's release, right?"  I just about fell out of my chair with anger and emberassment.  So much so that I didn't have time to get mad at him.  I was just stumped by his lack of professionalism.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
9wolf is correct.

You cannot be fired for maintaining silence.

You could be fired if your rate of absenteeism is excessive or if you offer an explanation (which is not needed) that turns out to be a lie.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
"I had a growth removed, not malignant, Thanks for your concern."

I agree with Paa_Paw....  the statement is short, to the point, and most importantly, you are not fibbing.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Jimmy99

• Posting Member
Thanks everyone for your comments.  I want to clarify some facts about time off from work, so forgive me if this gets slightly off topic.  For 20+ years I have worked in the realm of employee health care/safety so I know a lot about medical information in the work place.

First and formost in my situation I am taking personal vacation time off.  Therefore I do not NEED an excuse to miss work, I only need my vacation approved.  Remeber that. Use your vacation time.  Your vacation time is YOUR time.

If I was taking sick time off then yes I would have to lie and say I was sick.  I do not actually have to tell my employer why I was sick, this is private legally protected information.  Sick time is a little bit of a grey area because the reality is most of us feel we need to tell our immediate supervisor because we have a close working realtionship with them.  If my condition affects my job then at most I would be legally required to tell an occupational health care provider about my condition.  But that provider legally coudl not tell my employer the details of my condition.

In general if you condition does affect job performance or is not related to your job then your employer needs to know nothing.  If it does affect or is related to your work then at most the employer needfs to know a legit health care provider (i.e. M.D.) thinks you are not fit for work.

For example, I knew someone who was on disability for a year for depression.  The employer never knew why they were out, they only knew that the employee's doctor stated the employee was not fit to work.  The only verification was between workers comp and state disability doctors and the employee's doctor.  In our culture this seems extreme, a year of for depression, yet the law protected the employee's medical information the entire time.

Now law aside the fact is certain industries have a high rate of worker comps scams so those industries will snoop on employees as legally as possible.  Example would be a construction worker who claims his bakc is preventign him from working.  After 2 months the employers hires a private investigator to proove the employee is in fact able bodied.

Google HIPAA for more information about your rights.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Now law aside the fact is certain industries have a high rate of worker comps scams so those industries will snoop on employees as legally as possible.  Example would be a construction worker who claims his bakc is preventign him from working.  After 2 months the employers hires a private investigator to proove the employee is in fact able bodied.

For sure! Employers probably hire P.I.'s quite often for suspected fraudulent Worker's Comp cases.

Yup, you gotta be careful guys... there's nothing illegal about a company P.I. sitting in his/her car in front of your house watching you mow the lawn while you are off with a 'Debilitating' back injury....   :P

Best thing to do is to be as honest as possible and do not screw over your employer and/or Workers Comp for money.  ;)

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024