Author Topic: NHS surgery this monday!!!  (Read 10714 times)

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
I realize how lucky i am (having read many posts on this forum), that i have got through the system and am due surgery in 2 days! I know the nhs does not have a great record on this site, but from what i have experienced thus far (still awaiting the actual surgery!) they are definitely worth a try. From seeing my gp, i had to wait 1 month to see a plastic surgeon, then a further 2 months for this surgery, no psychologists and no hearing panel. My experience with the NHS up till this point has been great. I aim to go into more detail as to how I got to where I got to after the op, hopefully if its a success.

But it gets even better, I know the nhs has come in for criticism for providing just general surgeons not qualified plastic ones and that they often do lipo only. It was a fully qualified plastic surgeon i saw (Mr Malata) who does 50+ gynecomastia corrections a year and he said straight away that lipo only would not be good enough, that glandular excision is a must as well, the guy has even written a book on why lipo only is not enough! Anyway I am having the op at Addenbrookes Cambridge, i guess i was very lucky with the post code lottery.

Obviously like everyone else my anxiety levels are 10/10, excitement 10/10 and nervousness 10/10! to be quite honest if was told a punch in the face five times over would get me the same result i would take it, at least I know what to expect. I also dislike needles, i bricked a simple blood test 3 times in a row 2 years ago, but the IV etc is probably the least of my worries! Is anyone able to describe the pain (hard i know)? and the worst bits of the op?

Finally this will be that start but most important step in dealing with several socially embarrassing conditions i developed due to side effects of an anti convulsant several years ago. Like everyone else i had never heard of the condition until a few months ago (I am 22), before which i just thought i was a freak! But after going through the tests, the docs said the condition had been induced by something to the liver, i was unaware of any medications i might of been on that would have induced this. But i pull up the medical records, find out i was diagnosed as an epileptic which maybe explains why i get severely lightheaded 40 times a day and that i had been on the resulting medication 4 years. There is one further complication, another side effect of this, is that i have a very low white blood cell count , which is what is used to heal parts of the body i think! so i am worried about how well my recovery is going to go! Furthermore I also developed hyperhydrosis (extreme and constant sweating) as a result of this and will get electric treatment for it as soon as i am able to after the surgery! but i am worried i am going to sweat like hell in one of those compression garments. Of the two gynecomastia definitely hits me the hardest, but they do act like a double negative, i have to change shirts five times a day due to hyperhydrosis, yet gyno stops me from doing this just anywhere and because i get nervous about people seeing my gyno and having to always wear hoddies, even in the summer it obviously makes the hyperhydrosis even worse so i have to change more shirts. Actually i think there is quite a bit of common ground between serious hyperhydrosis sufferers and gyno sufferers, maybe they should talk it over! sorry for the rambling!

I will provide a full update when the surgery is done! and if anyone could answer my pain questions that would be great!                   

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Hi Woodi,

Welcome to the boards!

Let me congratulate you on your first (and hopefully last!) step to tackling this horrible problem. I'm glad your experience with the NHS thus far has been all positive. I too had surgery on the NHS and am recovering at the moment - also had a pretty good experience once i actually got to see the PS but had to wait over a year and a half and even got rejected initially! (i'm 21). It seems you got pretty lucky!! ;)

Yes, a common problem i've also seen is that some NHS surgeons have been doing lipo only when excision is required. I only received excision myself, but have yet to see how this will work out... Anyway, it seems your surgeon is quite knowledgeable in the area and has had some experience.

Don't worry too much about the needles. Focus on the positives - you're getting rid of this problem! If i had to compare the pain i'd say its like being stung by a wasp. The pain really only lasts for a fraction of a second. Just try not to look if you are afraid of needles. Normally they will start up a conversation with you and then try to slide it in part way through that 'awkward' conversation. Remember once the IV is in, you won't need anymore injections as everything should be administered through this. Once you are under the general anaesthetic you won't feel or remember a thing!

I'm deeply sorry to hear that your gyno was the result of medication. I think for most of us it is one of those unfortunate things or perhaps aggravated by being overweight at one point or another and does not go back down. I sympathise with you not hearing about the problem until recently - i was the same when i first visited the GP! Admittedly, i wasn't lean by any means at the time but i'm working as hard as ever to get there and shouldn't have long left now!

As far as i know, the white blood cells are important for fighting off infection. You can read more about them on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cells. Given this information, i think your recovery shouldn't be impaired as long as you don't contract an infection. I'd ask your doctor whether taking Vit C supplements after the op would cause any problems because these help support the immune system.

I'm sorry to hear of your battle with hyperhydrosis. I've personally not heard of this condition before but can already see what a bad combination it must be! The sweating may cause some problems with the surgical bandage they are likely to fit you with - it might be worth discussing this with your PS. Unfortunately, it might be a few days before you are allowed to actually shower because the wounds will need to heal properly. Generally, this seems to be 48 hours but it will vary depending on how quickly the surgical bandage is removed. My advise therefore is: don't be surprised if things get a bit 'mucky' in the first week of not really being able to shower! Luckily, you are allowed to bathe!

I wish you all the best! :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:47:59 PM by creative »

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Thanks for the needle info creative, at least if its over in a split second, thats no big deal in the big picture. Thing is, I have never been stung by a wasp or a bee! but have encountered 3 jellyfish, they were not to good! Gland to hear the NHS seems to be working for you, bar the 1 and half year wait. Yea the medication thing did suck, i only found out about it a month ago (the meds) as my medical documents had been "lost" through transportation several years ago and was to young to remember taking it. The NHS seem to turn alot of people away though even if they are just slightly overweight which is ridiculous. I think it helped that when I went on my first consultation I had been on a big diet and was bang on normal bmi. But I do not understand why the NHS + alot of the media portray "true" gyno as only being the result of being overweight, people of all sizes have got it. When it developed on me I was a stick and not far off the national cross country team for my age group. Yet everyone reckons a few push ups will deal with it. Anyway good luck with the recovery yourself, am hoping I will look back in 2 days thinking I was worrying over nothing!

Did the NHS give you some form of compression vest or did you have to buy one yourself?

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Hi Woodi,

Sorry for the late reply. Let me just briefly answer your post...

No, i didn't get a compression vest on the NHS. They just gave me a surgical bandage which was then removed a week later and the compression vest had to be bought by yourself. I bought mine from holisticgarmentsdirect for around £50 (it may seem a lot, but it is really good quality!) They are a little hard to get on at first - maybe because they are new and not lost compression or maybe because of swelling etc. but after that they provide ample support. The one i bought came within two days. They even ask for your chest size before you finalise the order, so choosing the right size shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, i'd just like to wish you good luck today and a speedy recovery! Feel free to look on the forums for advice on what to do to aid recovery. People generally recommend having pineapple juice (fresh, not tinned) due to Bromelain that helps reduce swelling and arnica tablets/cream to reduce bruising. However, if you're wearing a bandage then the cream won't be much use for a while and if you're still hurting, the last thing you'll want to do is rub that area! So give the cream about a weak (i have yet to use it myself because not had much bruising!) :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:49:29 AM by creative »

Offline kingboob

You want to watch the calories in that pineapple juice though...... drinking loads of juices and fizzy drinks is good way to gain weight when you are restricted on your exercise after surgery.

You can buy bromelain tables and arnica pills & gel in boots if you want to throw some cash down the drain....... just my opinion and experience.

Time is the biggest factor and nothing can really make your body heal and faster than it wants to. 

I would say eating plenty of fruit and vegetables is a big help though.

Offline Gaz30

• Posting Member
wishing you all the best for your surgery today Woodi, i am nearing the end of my gyne journey, just waiting on final visit to the Plastic Surgeon to discuss what he is going to do on the day, i don't care just plz get rid of what has been causing me so much pain and distress for 20 odd years. Hope all goes well today keep us posted and start enjoyin your new life ;)

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
You want to watch the calories in that pineapple juice though...... drinking loads of juices and fizzy drinks is good way to gain weight when you are restricted on your exercise after surgery.

Quite true. I have stuck to a glass a day, which i think is in balance and only drink it in the morning/afternoon because there is a lot of sugar in it. In general, I would think some weight gain during this recovery period might be inevitable due to the lack of exercise...I certainly feel like that way, but it doesn't bother me too much because there's always the gym for later!

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Will right a fuller post later on, as cannot write to much. But had surgery at 10 in morning (though I would be bricking it!). But although I have not been able to see the results yet due to this garment they put on me, I got lipo + exercision and was told went chest went totally flat, but was told I needed a few more excersion points than normal as had a much higher gland tissue to fat tissuse ratio around the area than previously thought!

But wow, the op is no biggy at all. I have a very low pain threshold, and am such a wimp that I complain about blood tests! Even though i was so nervous before the op. The IV was not even a pric, the relaxant actuallty hurt more (burning in the hand) but that was still nothing. Then I was hoping I could count count to 10 when I was being put to sleep...but I went straight away! only got 4 hours sleep the night before is probably why.

Woke up within 10 mins of surgery and fully with it (no joke). No pain, no headache, no sickness, no nothing, painkillers must have working a treat! Left within hour of surgery, expecting pain to get worse through day after anasthetic wore off, but it never came! only a bit of uncomfatbleness this morning, but its 1 out of 10 pain and have not have to use any of the painkillers so far.

The only annoying things so far are thetightnessof the compression vest and sleeping on your back, but that is nothing compared to the pain of what this getting rid of. I agree with what has been said elsewhere, if u r thinking of getting surgery at all, get it, it is no biggy at all. Thanks for advice on the pineapples etc, trying to eat healthy from now on! + the whole team a met yeaterday were all absolutly fantastic, so far the NHS for me has got a 10/10!

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
forgot to add there was one monment when I freaked out, the nurse said due to mrsa had to have one swab ub my nose and one down the back of my throat, thing is I thought a swab meant an injection needle not a cotton bud (which it was in reality), so I nearly wet myself thinking I was having a needle up my nose and and down my throat! how wrong I was.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Which Hospital did you have the op done by and which surgeon may I ask?

Thanks!

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
I had the op done at a day surgery that was part of Addenbrookes Cambridge, and the surgeon I had was Mr Malata. Although I am yet to see the results everything up to now has been 10/10. If the results come out ok, this guy is worth going privately as well (as he works for private companies as well), if you cannot get through the NHS system.

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Hi,

Looks like you got a pretty good deal! Surprised to also see you were discharged the same day :)

Yes, the compression vest is meant to be tight. However, over the weeks it should begin to feel 'not so tight' either due a slight loss in compression or more likely, reduction in swelling. Again, surprised they gave you a compression vest! ;)

Hope all continues to go well. Any idea how much gland + fat they removed?

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Hi Creative,

I forgot to ask how much was removed in the end, but was told afterwards that more glandular tissue was taken out than was predicted, therefore a few extra incision points were needed. As long as they got rid of all that hard tissue I am fine with that. Although I cannot tell how flat it is yet due to the fact that I have not taken off this compression garment since I woke up after surgery, and have a week yet untill I can see the chest. Healing seems to be on track though, i rekon I might have a bit of swelling now even with the garment but I guess that is to be expected, and am still awaiting any significant pain! That said the tightness of this garment is getting more an more annoying!

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Hi,

Glad to hear the recovery is going well. :)

Out of interest, what sort of compression vest have they given you? Is it the type with 'hooks' at the front?

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Well I think it is a compression vest, it has a velcro front opening and provides a fair bit of compression.

At the moment am not as confident about the situation as i was earlier in the week. Am still yet to the see the results! as I have not been allowed to take off compression vest since coming out of surgery on monday. Will find out for better or worse how it went on tuesday when I get the dressings taken off.

Problem is i am pretty sure I can still feel a significant "mound" on the right hand side, and to lesser extent on the left. I know this could just be swelling and I really hope it is, but I got a feeling that possibly quite a bit of fat was left in there.

I know no amount of working out can get rid of glandular tissue, but by the sounds of it that has all been taken out, but once this is gone can working out get rid of large fatty deposits if not enough lipo has been done? 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024