Author Topic: Gyno Sergery in ANother Country.....(need M.D. Opinion)  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Jonathan28

Ok i would like to start of by saying HI!!!!!!!!!!!! lol to all the people on the forums as i am new here.
I am a male 16 years old and very active. Im currently in High School.

Ok so i went for a consult with a doctor and they said they will try to give me a cal back after they called my insurance company, and what do you know i got the call, and my insurance refused to cover it, which sucks.

Now i am in High School i am very active and such, i Never once went to the beach or pool last summer bc of gyno. Every time my family went i would always stay home alone, or go to a friends, for the rest of the day, not fun.

Now my mom wasnt born in this country and she wants to take me to Colombia, South America, and get the operation done there as it would be WAY more cheaper to pay for it over there, since it would come out to be alot more cheaper.

My question is what do you think about getting it done in another country?
What about getting it done in Colombia?

Im 16 and im a bit if-fy about the whole thing about going to Colombia and doing over there. For some reason i have this image of them not being able to do the Operation properly......what do you think? IF M.D. 's could respond that would be so helpful.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
see the find a surgeon in your area boards, there are specific discussions on this with all the pros and cons.  i've seen mexico, peru, and others, not colombia yet.  are you looking at a specific doc yet?  the same rules apply, you'd want somebody with a lot of experience who almost specializes in this. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If your Gynecomastia is causing emotional problems, You might ask for a referral to a psychologist.

Then, See of the Psychologist will give you a letter detailing hor the Gynecomastia is affecting you.

Armed with the letter, File an appeal with the insurance Company. In some cases it is enough to reverse the decision about covering the cost of surgery.

What have you got to lose?

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Grandpa Dan is right!  File an appeal...   ;)

To answer your question tho...  if you choose a PS that is experienced in GRS, and the facilities are clean, then there should be no problem...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A word of caution.  First, there are excellent, experienced doctors and clean facilities in other countries -- but it behooves you to check them out first -- very thoroughly.  And it may certainly be less expensive outside the US.  But I want to provide you with some other scenarios which you should think about.

Let's say your surgery goes well and you return home to the US.  Who will take out your stitches?  What if you have an infection?  And who will treat that infection?  What if you develop post-operative scar tissue (very common)?  Who will treat it?  And if there is a real screw-up, will you have legal redress in the other country?

Food for thought.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
And if there is a real screw-up, will you have legal redress in the other country?

Food for thought.

Dr Jacobs

'Legal recourse'....  you're right there Doc!

It all whittles down to  "Buyer BEWARE"....  ;)

GB

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I have to agree with Dr. Jacobs.  You need to consider that you could have complications requiring numerous visits to your surgeon.  If you can't find help in your home town, you're looking at a lot of money to fly back and forth to Colombia. 

Good luck.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Complications can and do happen.  Just take a look at this guy http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=13527.0
If you do decide to travel for surgery you might want to consider staying there for a few weeks in case something goes wrong.  Further down the track scar tissue might build up requiring injections...etc
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
hazlo amigo.  si tu mama sabe de un buen cirugano , porque no lo haces en colombia.  mas barato y un pais bonito.  un viaje completo.  ya que ciruganos quieren clientes, claro que te cuentan que te quedes aqui. no hay un cirugano en este sitio que vaya contarte la verdad.  no puedo culparles.  solo pregunta que te cosan con stitches disolubles.  casi todos los usan. 

tengas un buen viaje amigo.  dinos como todo sale

paz     

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024