Author Topic: Avoiding Alcohol Before Surgery  (Read 3739 times)

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
My surgery is 7 days away now. In the space between now and then I'm going to an office party and olympic basketball semis - both will have alcohol flowing like crazy.

I'm not prepared to chance anything so I am going to avoid alcohol entirely. But just today my friend asked if I wanted to go for drinks before the basketball - of course I said yes, but now I just need to think of an excuse for not drinking when the time comes...

Antibiotics seems like a good one - but that's never stopped me in the past, can anyone think of a good excuse???
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
You can say that you feel a little nauseous and that you're stomach is upset,  so you better stick to soft drinks. No one wants somebody puking around them when they're drunk, so I'm sure your friend will agree.  ;D

I think I drunk exactly one week before my surgery, it was Memorial Day and a friend's birthday, but it was OK. So if you slip, not less than 7 days before though, make sure you drink plenty of fluids like Vitamin Water and/or Gatorade to replenish and hydrate yourself. Don't drink at all once you pass day 7 on the countdown though!

Congrats on the surgery date, too.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
For what it's worth I got through 3 tough situations of having to deny alcohol. Every one was due to antibiotics for an ear infection... I don't think anyone bought it but who the hell quizzes someone over dodgy infections anyway?!

Had a great few nights out, watched USA vs Argentina in the olympic basketball semi finals and then went for a smooth surgery the next day. I actually really enjoyed the weekend, got pizza delivered to the hotel while I was recovering with my gf. Amazing :)

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Congrats, Rasputin!  ;D

Get well soon and rest up.

Offline freak

• Posting Member
why do you have to avoid alcohol before surgery?

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
I think it might cause complications during surgery, especially with the anesthesia, and then maybe interfere with the healing process after surgery.

Offline flattmatt

• Posting Member
Alcohol thins the blood and so you bleed more

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024