Author Topic: Help! - Pre-Surgery Questions..  (Read 3672 times)

Offline ModFive

• Posting Member
I have about 3 months before I am going to get my surgery, and I have some questions:

1. I weigh 255 lbs or so.  I and am basically 40 lbs overweight  because I am reasonably built underneath my fat :P.  It is obvious to see my definition and note that the gynecomastia is mostly glandular.  Also, I have had it since 13 :P.  However, how much of a difference would losing those 35-40 lbs before my surgery in 3 months have on my surgery results?  I.E. could the surgeon do a better job if I did that? I have lost this kind of weight in this time before, but it is hard.  Basically, should I wait to do the surgery after I lose my extra weight?  Or does it not matter? Can I get it removed, and then gradually lose weight over time, until it looks perfect?

2.) Because of my being overweight by 40 lbs, would using a Dr. like Hamas who uses cutting cannula be different than using someone like Bermant who uses excision?  What extra questions should I ask my dr about?

2. I am thinking it is a good idea to see an Endocrinologist before my surgery.  I am guessing this is generally a good idea.  What do you guys think?  Also, what are some good questions to ask when picking a endocrinologist, and when you meet with them?

Sorry about being bothersome!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:18:22 AM by cleanup »

Offline ModFive

• Posting Member
err that would be: 1.), 2.) and 3.) - heheh sorry I am really excited about getting fixed up, so I cant even type :P

Offline vaio

• Gyne free, is the way to be!
If you lose 40+ pounds before going into surgery your results will be 10x better. After losing all that weight and being the *correct weight*, the doc will be able to see the fat pockets. Right now, the fat is all over. Its stupit in my opinion to have gynecomastia surgery while being over weight. You will have better results if you lose the weight first.
$2,800 = Freedom!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/album?.dir=7e36&.src=ph&am p;store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/my_photos

Offline I-Hate-Gyno

• Bronze Member
  • I am getting PEC's one day
     Agreed. You got three months in which to do so my friend. You can loss a whopping 10-12 pounds a month, and that my friend is very possible ;D. Good luck

I-H-G
$1000 saved
$4500 needed for "freedom!"(vaio mb.).

Offline vaio

You have to think about the skin issue to. Sometimes they need to excise skin especially on patients that use to be overweight.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Modfive -
A 40 pound weight loss in 3 months is a tall challenge.  I suppose it can be done, just try to stay healthy man. vaio's right about cutting skin, but if you're only 40 pounds overweight, probably not a worry.  They usually do that for guys who are really top heavy, but who knows, i haven't seen pics. Yeah, drop the excess fat before surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Agreed with everyone else, drop the excess lbs Dude. However, like jc71 mentioned, dropping 40 pound in 3 months is a tall order. That's approx 3 pound a week, every week. For sure it can be done, but make sure that you don't starve yourself to do this though. Make sure you eat right! Proteins, Carbs, Veggies and Fruits. Eat 6 small meals a day and get some cardio/weight training exercises into your daily routine. The more healthy you are for surgery, the better. ;)

I lost 20 pounds for my surgery. I'm about 210 pound now and want to drop another 40 pound. Actually, today was my first day back to the gym after a one month lay-off as a result of having the surgery. Felt great to 'move' again! I actually used the shower at the Gym  for the first time  :D! Would never have considered this during my Gyne days. Would always wait till I got home to have a shower  :-/.

Best of luck...

John.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 06:33:35 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline vaio

I would set the surgery date back further. Focus on just weight loss in the mean time. Eat lots of fish, chicken and vegatables, salads, etc. Make sure to drink at least 1 gallon on water a day also. It will help speed up the process of eliminating the fat from your body.

Good luck

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Oopsss.... I forgot the water. Me bad :-[.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 11:01:10 AM by Bambu »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I agree that it's maybe better to push back the surgery a couple months.  I once lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks (about the same rate you would need to loose) and I got so damn sick.  I know you're reading this and thinking, "It won't happen to me." Hopefully you're right.  But don't say jc71 never warned you.   ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024