Author Topic: Gynecomastia Self-Testing  (Read 25133 times)

Offline lotr23

Well I was looking up on how to test to see if I have the real gynecomastia or a pseudo like one, but when I read it, it says the following
You can perform this simple examination to detect gynecomastia by yourself. Firstly, lie down on your back. Place your thumb and forefinger facing out from your breast like a forceps. Gently, press the areola (the circular colored skin area surrounding the nipple) using your thumb and forefinger only. If both of your fingers can meet each other, then it is pseudo gynecomastia and no worry. Otherwise, if you discover there is a small rubbery or firm mound of tissue symmetrical to the nipple, then it is could be gynecomastia or breast cancer (very minimal cases). Certain breast cancer can cause nipple bleeding, discharge. Gynecomastia can be painful if the lump or glandular tissue becomes larger.

Article Source: EzineArticles.com

But what exactly does it mean by if both fingers meet? Does it mean that if both fingers meet proportionally with each other on the areola or if they are actually touching through the skin?  Because I feel no mound of rubber or lumps but the fingers don't like meet each other through the skin either.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
For most purposes the distinction between Pseudo and true gynecomastia are moot.

Self testing lacks one very important element. You cannot be truly objective in evaluation of yourself.

The treatment of the condition may be altered during the course of surgery but be of no consequence prior to or following surgery.

The embarrassment is the same.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Gallego

• Posting Member
I think gynecomastia self testing is not very reliable. Best to see a professional and get properly diagnosed. I can however share my opinion on another version of self testing.

The steps are simple. Stand in front of a mirror and make sure the room you're in is well lit. Take a long hard look at yourself and your chest from various angles. Whats your reaction when seeing yourself bare chested from different angles? Do you feel comfortable? Do you feel embarrassed, ashamed, or sense that something is not "right" with its contour? Your reaction can be a big indicator if you do in fact have it and it's severity. Needless to say, if your own reaction is negative, chances are you may have it. Could be mild, could be worse. If your reactions however are vague, chances are you may not have it or have a subtle case.

As I said before, best bet is to get diagnosed by a professional. I myself somehow knew I had it but came on here to get opinions on it's severity.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024