Author Topic: Scar Tissue? 1 Year Post-Op  (Read 7961 times)

Offline confused_satisfaction

• Bronze Member
So its been one year since my surgery (as of Jan. 15) and I have one comment/concern..

Is there any way that I could tell if I have scar tissue or if my gynecomastia is back? I never really thought about it until recently. I would prefer not going back to the doctor (I kinda wanna move past going to the hospital about gynecomastia - they aren't the best memories).

Just so you know, I am kind of thinking it is scar tissue because i can squeeze it without pain or discomfort (its hard to tell though because I just did a chest workout yesterday and I'm a little sore).

Thanks

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
So its been one year since my surgery (as of Jan. 15) and I have one comment/concern..

Is there any way that I could tell if I have scar tissue or if my gynecomastia is back? I never really thought about it until recently. I would prefer not going back to the doctor (I kinda wanna move past going to the hospital about gynecomastia - they aren't the best memories).

Just so you know, I am kind of thinking it is scar tissue because i can squeeze it without pain or discomfort (its hard to tell though because I just did a chest workout yesterday and I'm a little sore).

Thanks

I have the same issue, but only on the right pec...If I flex my chest and move my hands back, you can see the lump to the right side of the nipple...and my right nipple is puffy like 80% of the time, while my left is never. I also hate the fact that I have to think about going back for another surgery, but I want to get rid of this...even now I keep thinking about my right pec since I know there is something there and it pisses me off....
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

DrBermant

Thanks

Both scar tissue and gland can be firm and distort the natural contour of the male chest. When open the gland and scar look the same. Under the microscope, even a Pathologist has difficulty differentiating gland from scar tissue.  Check out the various examples on my website of tissue removed from patients unhappy after other surgeons' gynecomastia surgery.  Here is one of the newest pages I put up on that topic of Patient Unhappy after Other Surgeon's Gynecomastia Surgery. The third panel has the gland / scar removed. There is a difference during the surgery. Scar often is much more adherent and often much harder to dissect than virgin tissue.  You may also want to check out such Patient Experiences with Revision Surgery. In the second video, you can listen to the emotion of that patient's experience of the two surgeries. My revision surgery patients often tell me that there is a monster difference between what they had before and what they experience in my office.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Diagnosing yourself is not a wise idea.  There is absolutely no harm in returning to your surgeon and asking his opinion about any possible residual tissue.  Since he did your surgery and knows what he did, he may be helpful in determining whether you have residual tissue or scar tissue.

In some cases, revision is necessary -- other cases may be helped with an injection of kenalog.  After your visit with your surgeon, you will be in a better position to decide what to do -- and you can return to him for help or consider another doctor who is expert in gynecomastia treatment.

Good luck!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024