Author Topic: Benito Price Hike! 40% Increase  (Read 4038 times)

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
Hi Guys

I am going back in January on Barcelona to get some loose skin removed from my stomach and a touch up to my chest. I had gyne surgery and abdominal lipo last Feb. Benito quoted my approx £3500 on 5th September saying as i was returning to Barcelona he was doing me a good deal as he would normally charge around £6000 for what i was getting- basically a tummy tuck and a gyne revision. His PA - Aida phoned today to tell me with the current exchange rate the surgery would now be £5200-  this is around 40% ! I,m really pissed.

I have emailed Aida asking can they do it a bit cheaper but I'm not hopefull and i think my options are

1- I bite the bullet and go for it on January.
2- I postpone it untill the exchange rate improves
3- I look maybe at surgery in the UK and can anyone reccomend anyone else?

I think Benito will be losing business from the UK because obviously British surgeons will not be hiking prices by 40% especially in the current climate- I am really pissed because I have spend about £100 booking flights for January.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline outertrial

Unfortunately thanks to Brown's mismanagement of the economy the UK is not doing at all well, and is predicted to be the most devastated of G7 economies by the coming recession.

Anyhow I digress, the pound has fallen from a one time high of  1.55 euro to a low of 1.14 today. Some people are predicting parity by the new year, and with zero per cent interest rates on the way I wouldnt bet against it.

Not much we can do about it, the government has devalued your savings to buy votes from people with mortgages; "Abroad" isnt likely to be cheap again for Brits for a long time.

Offline brad_titt

• Posting Member
If this is accurate, it's seriously disappointing. I'm still saving for surgery, but this would totally discount Benito as an option for me.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
Wow really? I just had the op and his price had gone from £2700 to £3000 which was unfortunate but seemed "fair"... but if it all goes up 40% that's going to make surgery abroad a whole lot less doable for most people :(

Offline davidibz

Hi there,

I too have just had surgery with Dr. Benito in Barcelona (3rd of December). Fortunately, although I am British I live in Spain and have done for many years, my income is therefor only in Euros.

One suggestion which might help, ask Aida for a quote in Euros. Then try to convert your sterling into Euros yourself by visiting different UK banks and looking for the best rate. Often when you have a large amount to exchange you can barter for a stronger rate without commission. Try Thomas Cook, H.S.B.C, and even the post office. This option could save you a few hundreds pounds (no guarantee) but please do research your own area.

Prices haven't gone up here in Spain but Dr. Benito pays the hospital in Euros and as you know sterling doesn't go very far these days. Just 2 years ago +/- 60 pence would bye 1 Euro, nowadays 87 pence buys 1 Euro.

Anyone who's had this surgery knows how life changing this procedure is. So don't back out if you can help it, just maybe look at other options to raise funds.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Outertrial is correct; however, as David pointed out get it costed in Euros then you can make an accurate assessment. 

Even if we look at the historical highs, and the historical lows there is a clear disconnect between the figures proposed.  It's still a large increase between 1.55 & 1.14. 

http://www.exchange-rates.org/history/EUR/GBP/G/M

September the exchange rate was around 1.26, now 1.14 - this wouldn't explain the increase in the short-term. (€4410 - €5928).  Although they do have a base in London to pay for, that would still be in Sterling.  There is normally a way around most problems.

Unfortunately Gordon & Darling are shafting the £ at the moment (for whatever reason..).  I still cannot believe how he was one of the main people responsible for the mess, but now sees himself as some sort of messiah!  Amazing.

I'm putting off going back to the states/Caribbean - i got 1.98 in April, it's now just 1.47!  And i did find both France & Spain more expensive this year, although still cheaper than the UK.

Offline outertrial

Outertrial is correct; however, as David pointed out get it costed in Euros then you can make an accurate assessment. 

Even if we look at the historical highs, and the historical lows there is a clear disconnect between the figures proposed.  It's still a large increase between 1.55 & 1.14. 

http://www.exchange-rates.org/history/EUR/GBP/G/M

September the exchange rate was around 1.26, now 1.14 - this wouldn't explain the increase in the short-term. (€4410 - €5928).  Although they do have a base in London to pay for, that would still be in Sterling.  There is normally a way around most problems.

Unfortunately Gordon & Darling are shafting the £ at the moment (for whatever reason..).  I still cannot believe how he was one of the main people responsible for the mess, but now sees himself as some sort of messiah!  Amazing.

I'm putting off going back to the states/Caribbean - i got 1.98 in April, it's now just 1.47!  And i did find both France & Spain more expensive this year, although still cheaper than the UK.

Less than 1.13 today. Whats the tourist rate - 1.07?

I think there are weaknesses in the euro that have yet to come to light, but its not looking good. Gutted I didnt switch my savings to a euro account earlier in the year. Oh well.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
I had a chat about this today when i saw him as i had overpaid in €'s, and they had to transfer some back to me as the price was quoted in £'s. 

Dr Benito hadn't really been keeping track of the currency fluctuations, i believe from now on Aida will only be quoting the prices in €'s, this will keep it easier for all concerned moving forward.

Hopefully in the next few months it will all be back to normal again, fuel will be going back up in January as Opec is cutting production, they've done the €200 Billion EU rescue package today, the senate have to bail out the US car industry, plenty of volatility left in the markets but we should see an upside in the short to medium term.

Fun, fun, fun!

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
Hopefully in the next few months it will all be back to normal again, fuel will be going back up in January as Opec is cutting production, they've done the €200 Billion EU rescue package today, the senate have to bail out the US car industry, plenty of volatility left in the markets but we should see an upside in the short to medium term.

Big Dom your a real comfort lol

Offline outertrial

£ has fallen below parity at the airport shylocks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/dec/14/euro-economic-policy-currencies-europe

As far as Britains post war economic performance things are back to normal!

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
I Havent contacted Aida yet but i think i will postpone it for a few months to see if the rate improves, I will lose about £100 the price of the flights to and from Barcelona. Can anyone recommend a good UK surgeon?

Offline outertrial

Karidis has very good reports. Levick seems to be the other famous one; havent heard any patients of his post for a while.

Offline kingboob

Karidis has very good reports. Levick seems to be the other famous one; havent heard any patients of his post for a while.

Well I post all the time!

Fantastic guy who is quite handy with a scalpel too............ and he has had a bit of practice this year at removing loose skin and doing tummy tucks Darrend  ;) .

He works from the Priory BMI hospital in , which is quite easy to get too as well.
http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/consultant/consultantdetails?p_name=Paul-Levick&p_id=41678

Anyway, that is enough free advertising......... or I might have to start asking for commission  :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024