Author Topic: Drains....  (Read 5031 times)

Offline broman

• Posting Member
Does every body get them? How come some doctors use them and some dont?

What does it feel like taking them out?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Your second question answers your first... ;)

Why some do and some don't is a good question... Maybe one of the resident docs can answer that...

I've heard that it's not pleasant...  :-\

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

DrBermant

I rarely need drains for my gynecomastia, chest lift, or breast reduction operations.  Drains are devices to pull off extra fluid after surgery.  Drains are much better than an Gynecomastia Hematoma Blood Complications.  However, even better is evolving a technique that rarely needs a drain and still results in an extremely low chance of a hematoma!  Drains themselves can slow down healing, require extended antibiotics, are more uncomfortable than not needing a drain, or needing the discomfort of removing a drain.

Check out my typical comfort after gynecomastia surgery.  Not needing drains is one factor in my patients telling me that they rarely need their more powerful prescription medication.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I rarely need drains for my gynecomastia, chest lift, or breast reduction operations. 

A sign of a highly skilled surgeon!!!

GB

DrBermant

I rarely need drains for my gynecomastia, chest lift, or breast reduction operations. 

A sign of a highly skilled surgeon!!!

GB
:D

I just wish I could evolve techniques to stop needing drains for my Tumescent Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty.  Although some doctors have published methods, I just do not trust what I have seen enough for my patients. 

For my typical Tumescent Tummy Tuck Comfort, the single drain is a remaining focus of discomfort.  My staff and I are constantly amazed that our tummy tuck patients are using very little pain medication, and plain Tylenol is enough for their comfort.  I have done some abdominoplasty patients who have only used the Tylenol alone!  However once the drain is out, the comfort level is even further improved.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
My Doctor uses drains for all his operations.  He has a reputation of being an aggressive surgeon.  Meaning, he takes out more tissue than some doctors are comfortable with.  His results are some of the best and most consistant I have seen.  He has done over a 1,000 gyne surgeries and believes strongly in his methods.  Because his is more aggressive, he expects more fluid to be released, thus he uses drains.  He distains hematomas and has almost eliminated all.  As Bermant puts it "each Dr. has his techniques, but bottom line, results are all that matters."  Look at final results in making your choice.  It's the product not the process that matters in this deal.  This is a matter of opinion, and personal experience with each Dr.  Both sides can make compelling arguments, and both are right to some degree.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

You are 100% correct there my man!  It really doesn't matter if drains are used or not, what matters is the final result!

GB

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
I concur!

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
GB does Fieding use drains?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Note that Dr. Bermant said "rarely."

I do not think that a patient is wise to attempth to dictate whether or not to use drains. This is an option that should be left to the surgeon based upon their experience and the conditions encountered as the surgery progresses.

You should select a surgeon based upon their qualifications and experience. The result is more important than this one factor.

If you were to hire an artist to paint a portrait, You'd not be wise to limit the colors on his pallet. The surgeon is a sculptor, don't tell him how to do his job.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

GB does Fieding use drains?

He didn't with me. Also, I've never heard any of his other patients who are members here having to use them.

GB

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The use of a drain is a surgeon's decision -- usually made during the operation.  It should not be all or never.

A drain can be thought of as a "safety valve" -- used at the discretion of the surgeon if he feels it is necessary.

Out of approximately 150 gyne cases per year, I use a drain in perhaps 2 or 3.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The use of a drain is a surgeon's decision. Out of approximately 150 gyne cases per year, I use a drain in perhaps 2 or 3.

Of those 2 or 3, what would prompt you to use drains?

GB

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
GB

I use drains in those cases in which I have had to detach a large area of skin from the underlying muscle and tissues (often seen in patients who used steroids) and also in those cases in which, for whatever reason, there seems to be lots of oozing.  As I said, it is a game-time decision, based on the surgeon's comfort level and experience.

Just for your information, I use aggressive lipo (to remove both fat and breast tissue) for all my cases.  As in all types of lipo, this leaves a honeycomb of tissue between the skin and underlying tissue.  It is this honeycomb of fibrous tissue, blood vessels, etc, which tends to limit the need for drains in many of my cases.  In some cases, when I encounter extremely dense tissue, I do a peri-areolar incision and directly excise the dense white breast tissue.  This maneuver therefore removes the honeycomb leaving a "potential" space between the skin and underlying muscle.  This "potential" space has more propensity to accumulate fluid -- thereby prompting the use of drains.

I also use very tight compression garments post op -- and this too will help to diminish the need for drains.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Dr Jacobs...

Thanks for the detailed explanation...

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024