Author Topic: Have procedure now or wait till winter? worried about recovery time  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Rum Runner

So I had my consultation meeting this week and I'm kinda mad at myself for waiting so long!  I've decided to go ahead and go through with the procedure but I'm worried about the timing.  One is the recovery time, it's right at the beginning of the summer and I feel like I'll be out of commission for at least 4-6 weeks from what I'm reading here and I don't really want to not be able to go to the gym or not be able to ride my dirt bike.  Another concern is that I'm just getting over a leg injury that has kept me out of the gym and off my bike for 2 months already and I have gained some weight.  Ideally I would like to have this done in the winter time but I feel that if I don't get it done soon, I'm going to keep putting it off and start having second guesses about going through with it. 

What do people think I should do?  Is the recovery that bad?  Are the scars red and obvious at 6 weeks out?

anonymous1

The vest is not as troublesome as many lead you to believe.  My vest is just like under armour, but has straps so you don't have to pull it over your head.

Offline Rum Runner

How long did you have to wear that vest for?  How long were the drains in?  How long till you could go back to normal activities like to the gym or jogging?

anonymous1

I got 2 vests after surgery.  My surgery was just Wed so I still have the drains in, they come out at 1:30 pm Friday.  I have to wear the vest for 4-6 weeks depending on how fast I heal.  You can't really see them under a t-shirt unless you know what to look for, otherwise it just looks like I'm wearing a wife beater.  And 4-6 weeks to return to normal exercise and lifting, but I am going back to work Saturday.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
What do people think I should do?  Is the recovery that bad?  Are the scars red and obvious at 6 weeks out?

Recovery has it's ups and downs. It 'can' be an emotional roller coaster ride at times. Also, many post-oppers want to healed and 'ready to go' in just a few days after the surgery. Well, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Actually, in many cases, it will get worse before it gets better. You just have to be patient and let MoNa do her thing.

At 6 weeks, my incision scars were still red and noticeable. However everyone heals at different rates. You may heal faster than others. On the other hand, you may not. IMO,  6 weeks in is too early to expect fully healed incisions. Give it at least 3 months dude...

I would get it done as soon as possible, otherwise you will find an excuse to put it off again.

Giantfan has a good point. Git'er done and over with dude...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny

Recovery has it's ups and downs. It 'can' be an emotional roller coaster ride at times. Also, many post-oppers want to healed and 'ready to go' in just a few days after the surgery. Well, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Actually, in many cases, it will get worse before it gets better. You just have to be patient and let MoNa do her thing.

At 6 weeks, my incision scars were still red and noticeable. However everyone heals at different rates. You may heal faster than others. On the other hand, you may not. IMO,  6 weeks in is too early to expect fully healed incisions. Give it at least 3 months dude...
GB...

Yeah this can be the tough part about it

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024