Author Topic: How much time do I need off work after surgery being a builder?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline 1234james

• Posting Member
Hi all I am thinking of having surgery but I am concerned as to how much time I will need off work post surgery. My job involves heavy lifting and constantly using angle grinders and using mallets and chisels.

Is one week enough or will more time off be needed?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:37:21 PM by 1234james »

Offline RB2147

From my experience I would say you would need 3-4 weeks off work if you get Lipo and Excision.

It takes a long time to recover. I am at 7 weeks post op and I feel 99% at the moment. Still a little sore.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
Yeh its a bit awkward - if you do hard work you are probably stronger than average joe, still i think it takes some time to recover..... in a way the soreness doesn't hit for a while. its delayed.

Its kind of worrying in that you feel doing too much might mess up your op results etc. I think more time is needed tbh.

Offline 1234james

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to not hear it would take as long as 3-4 weeks as there is no way I can get that sort of time in my job. Two weeks are the max I would be able to get off. Looks asthough I will have to wait till Christmas time when my work shuts for 3 weeks which sucks as I was hoping of getting it done within the next few months.

I have already had a consutation with Dr. Karidis to let you all know.

If anyone else has an experience in this matter please let me know.

Thanks.

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Best thing is let Kardis know exactly what you do - and ask him what kind of time off he thinks you'll need.

I'm sure you can ask him any follow-up questions without another consultation....

Offline phillipshead87

• Posting Member
I work in a labor environment as well that requires me to lift heavy things everyday. I'm just now three weeks which I feel like I could have started to work again last week but I don't want to damage anything.

Offline Gammy

• Bronze Member
I would give it 3-4 weeks mate. You're spending £4000, don't risk your final result by overdoing things

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually recommend avoiding any strenuous activities (and your work seems to be strenuous) for 3-4 weeks after the operation.  After that, it should be OK.

Returning to work sooner would pose a risk for bleeding.  As I tell my patients, "Take one month out of your life to heal properly -- and in return, you will have a fine looking chest for the rest of your life."  That's a pretty good bargain!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline oft music

• Posting Member
Ideally 3-4 weeks. But practically, 2 weeks is fine. I went back to work 12 days post op and I feel at full strength. You might be different though and you may not want to risk it. Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024