Author Topic: need some help here....plzzz  (Read 2791 times)

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
Hi i am all set to go for surgery and everything is good so far

but i haven't mentioned this to anyone and i myself am a student...have done summerjobs, saved on allowances, didn't go drinking on saturday nights and hence finally saved up to remove this crap from my chest....and i have exactly how much the doctor has asked for....and i made this very clear to him as well

my only concern is...if additional expenses occur then i have to tell my family....which is gonna be devastating...coz they ll get even more annoyed coz the surgery wud have already been done by then

so for the guys who'''ve done the surgery....what am i looking at here

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I admire your hard work and sacrifice to take care of this yourself. I understand the feelings not wanting to tell anyone or get family involved.

As for other costs....I am much older so I was required to have an EKG (heart test) before the surgery.

The cost of my surgery included doctor and his anesthesiologist. The last part was a separate charge, but included in the amount I was given by doctor. I have not had to pay for followup visits (post op checkups).

The only extra cost I had was for pain medication at the pharmacy, and misc costs for compression shirts (second stage shirts after two weeks) and misc bandages.

Since you are not sharing with family - You got someone to take you there and back ? and watch you for the first 24 hours ?

Offline blackchevy

• Posting Member
great lakes pretty much told you what i was going to tell you.

pain meds, compression shirts, and bandages (should you need it). i guess i will add scar creams and stuff like that.

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
Thanks so much for all your responses....greatly appreciated
My bad....but I forgot to mention the surgery fee quoted by my doctor includes 1 compression vest, pre surgery medical tests, surgeon fee, surgery cost, anaesthesia fee, post visits(i guess one for removing stitches or drains...I don’t know)

Yes great lakes no one knows about it....apart from this secret family of mine...on this forum.....so yes I don’t think travelling will be problem because its less than an hour by cab to my place(because of road traffic)on California freeways 15 mins flat....lol...love the freeways in the us..................and the doctor said surgery will be in the morning and I will be discharged in the evening the next day(more than 24 hrs)

Now when you guys are saying pain meds are you all referring to pain killers....coz that’s included............and for second stage compression suits and scar creams..I don’t think they are common in my country and neither has the doctor mentioned about them...............are they really needed.

Now my questions
1.   Do we need assistance in wearing the compression vest or I can put it on myself by myself.
2.   One thing I forgot to ask the doctor.....It’s really hot here bcoz of tropical summers so there’s going to be a lot of sweating especially bcoz of the vest and I know it sound groce but I am going to have a bath once in 4 days for the first month to speed up recovery...will the sweating be bad for the recovery...and literally sleep all day...coz my exams just got over
I really would love to wait but want to do it fast because my sister will be having a beach wedding in November and I want to ....the rest you’d know
Also no matter what the doctor says...i am not going to the gym for 2 whole months...so iv e got just 5 months to tone up....
3.   And I want to know from guys who’ve done the surgery...apart from above mentioned expenses....were there any other sudden charges for any reasons...
Thanks guys............

Offline blackchevy

• Posting Member
well as far as the pain meds, he prescribed me some anti biotics and vicodin which i took to  a pharmacy and paid like 20 bucks to get since insurance covers most of it i believe.

i took a shower two days after my surgery which i needed help putting the vest on cuz you won't really be able to move your arms but after a couple of times taking it on and off you develop a system so it becomes somewhat easy.

i live in south florida and work indoors/outdoors all day where its really humid. i took the vest off after a week to wash cuz it does get gross. i was without it for 30-45 min max. even the showers i took were like 5-10 minutes.
I've never heard that showering every 4 days speeds up recovery? good luck though brotha.

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
thanks for your reply chevy....

i know i am acting mad about having a shower once in 4 days...i know it will not speed up recovery.............but i will be very happy when the vest is on inspite of the discomfort coz ur scar healing depends on it.......and i know we are talkin abt 10 mins tops here....but like i said i am just too excited....i think i am an extremist

but what bothers me chevy...i have to put the vest on my own...rite from the begiining after getting discharged...i have absolutely no option...so what am i looking at here....is it possible

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Despite a hemotoma complication, I was able to get my vest off and on the next morning and every morning since...for a shower. I got my doc to provide two vests, so I could have a relatively fresh one when needed. My first night had notable bleeding into the vest, so I was glad to have a fresh one while washing the other one twice to get the blood out.

The second stage compression shirts should be available most places I imagine. Athletes use something similar for things like track. In hot weather it would be must to be able to switch to these after a few weeks of healing. I have two ready to go and can't wait.

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
thanks greatlakes for your response......

i assume its not been long sice you've undergone surgery........all the very best to your new life ahead

so i am kinda happy i can put on the vest by myself....coz i ahve literally no one to help me with that....i think it wud be better to get one from my surgeon prior to surgery so i can get comfortable with putting them on.....can you tell me the make of your vest

also you mentioned second stage vest is a must in hot weathers...what exactly does that mean...coz they are pretty expensive and its something you will never need...thank god.

thanks,regards

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Second stage - compression shirts - are I suppose kind of expensive (50 bucks or so) but a small cost compared to the surgery.  The compression shirts are breathable and light weight compared to the first stage compression vest your surgeon will give you. As I mentioned these kind of compression shirts are often worn by athletes in sporting events, so they must work in hot weather and sweating. I could see wearing a compression shirt sometime even after I am all healed. The shirts are made be many companies - underarmor, underworks, spanx, etc..

But hey if you simply wish to wear the vest the doctor gives you for a long time, thats doable too. I have seen posts here of guys wearing the vest for a long time, and not even washing it often.

As for putting it on or taking it off - not everyone has the same experience or body type. Some are in a lot of pain, with little motion range. I simply did it, with some discomfort, because I wished no help.

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
Where are you going to be staying for the first few days after surgery?   Will you have drains?   If you have drains and you're planning to stay at home with your family, the will notice.  You'll be walking around like a 100 year old for the first couple days as the drains in your armpits do not feel good, and you essentially have to end up walking around them.  I had my operation on a thursday, and had them taken out on Monday.  I woke up with the compression vest on and didn't take it off until I was at the doctor's on Monday morning to have the drains removed.  Yes, I was smelly.  But it was just not worth the aggravation of getting the thing on and off.   I now wear the underarmor during the day and sleep with the vest on.  During the day, I have to vest on my back porch airing out - I honestly haven't washed the thing yet.  Gross, but whatever.

My doctor did not let me leave with a cab, I needed a 'friend', so I put on facebook - 'Anyone want to make $50 cash?  you must have off today and have a car.'  I had several bites and one facebook friend, not a close friend, was willing.  When she picked me up, I said that I had to have a cyst removed but didn't want my family to worry about it so I kept it quiet, and she asked no questions past that - she didn't even take my $50 bucks!

You'll be stuck inside for a few days so you'll need to stock up on some food to have in the house and a couple bucks in case you decide to order something.

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
To...Greatlakes
Oh I didn’t know it was around 50...I thought it was 100....but still but still coz of customs and shipping in my country9India)....it’s going to come up to the same.
And yes like you said....there’s no option for me as well...so no matter how much pain...will have to put the vest on by myself

To...showtime
Surgery in the morning and will get discharged the following day in the evening....so the doc has no problem with me going all alone in the cab...and he said the drains would be out by then
Yes will be stuck in the house by my own will...not going to  go out for a month...my vacation is on.....and i am going to watch movies whole day long or play the psp......and as for food.......moms there(shes gonna be shocked coz i am gonna ask for healthy food coz i don’t wanna put on weight....no gym...lol)

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
Then you should be good to go, pal.  Good luck!

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
as the days pass...i am getting more nervous...only because i dont want my family to know

if there are no drains and i can put the vest on my own.....is there anything else that would make my family know
like when getting up from the bed....can we get up normally...or we get up slowly if you know what i mean....also on the third day post surgery...is it okay to sit for 10 hrs in front of tv and sleep for rest of the day...is this fine(sitting for 10 hrs).......coz i dont have my own room so i cant just lock myself and be on the bed whole day....they are gonna ask if i do that....

plz reply....thanks

also does anyone here know of a safe liquid diet and for how long is it safe to be on a liquid diet

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024