Author Topic: Op on wednesday and got some questions!!  (Read 2702 times)

Offline mdcooper

Hi all,

I have my op on Wednesday, I am firstly really nervous!,

However I have been told by my doctor that I will need to buy a compression vest / cycle vest?

However im really confused! because ive read online that you are put into one after the op? so do they provide that or do I need to take that with me?

I just don't know what to do for the best, I don't want to buy a £50 vest if I don't need it, or buy the wrong one.

Matthew

Offline mdcooper

16 views and no replied! :(,

Can someone help?

Thanks

Matthew

Offline Pk2802

• Posting Member
I had to provide my own and took it with me on the morning i checked in for surgery, woke up with it on after operation. It's a must, £50 well spent

Offline Pk2802

• Posting Member
Forgot to mention that if you can afford it, buy 2 as you will need another when washing/drying the first.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I am in the US, they provided me with a zippered heavy duty vest after surgery. I asked and got two. This vest was for 1-2 weeks. Lighter compression shirts were bought by me for the time frame 2- 4 weeks or more.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If the Doctor told you to buy one, it is probably reasonable to presume that one will not be provided. I don't know where you are, but The hour is growing late if you need to get one today for surgery tomorrow.
Grandpa Dan

Offline mdcooper

Hi all

Thanks for all your responses, apologies for not coming back sooner,

Had my surgery on Wednesday at 11:30am, came out and was back In the ward by 14:30, and all seemed well,

Had a visit from my Consultant later in the afternoon, then had some dinner and felt really positive :),

Went to bed, woke up at 1am, one side of my chest had ballooned, and the drain was full, I rang the bell, within minutes I had about 6 people round my bed, putting drips into me, and having a good prod!, my blood pressure dropped so I had to be put on oxygen,

They rushed me back to theatre within 30 minutes and called in an emergency surgeon, they said that I had Hematoma, and that it had to be sorted straight away.

Cant tell you how scared I was!, I was out of the theatre and into a more regularly monitored ward by about half 5, with 2 drains in and a Cafeter!,

This put my back by a few days, they continued to monitor and removed the good side drain on Saturday and all was good, they then removed the second drain on Sunday, and I left on Sunday afternoon.

So far fingers crossed all is good!, still struggle to sleep properly, due to worrying about bleeding again and issues, but im sure It will be fine now :).

They put me into a compression bandage that goes right round your stomach, which is fine, the Doctor has told me to keep it on for at least 48 to 72 hours, then start wearing the one I have purchased ( I ended up calling
Eurosurgical Ltd), and gave them my details and they suggested exactly what I needed :) so that arrived the day of my op!.

Fingers crossed all will be plain sailing now :)

Thanks

Matthew

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024