Author Topic: IV sedation: Are you awake or asleep? Does it dull pain or just make you relax?  (Read 6947 times)

Offline needtofixg

• Posting Member

I have read a lot of mixed and conflicting information regarding IV sedation.

1. Many people have described their surgery experience as getting the IV sedation and the next thing they knew, they were waking up after the surgery never had experienced any pain which is probably the same experience as people who do general aneasthesia.

VS

2. Other information has indicated that it will simple make you relax and reduce anxiety however, it does not block pain. 

So my question is does IV sedation just make you relax but still experience pain of local aneasthesia injections( which hurt like crazy and possible parts of the surgery) or are you asleep during surgery without experiencing the cutting, local injections,etc..?

Are there different types of IV sedation? Do any have the power to put you to sleep?

I am not sure if other people have also read conflicting information as to how IV sedation( plus local pain killing injections) works exactly and exactly how aware are you on the surgery/pain?

Thanks.

DrBermant

I have read a lot of mixed and conflicting information regarding IV sedation.

1. Many people have described their surgery experience as getting the IV sedation and the next thing they knew, they were waking up after the surgery never had experienced any pain which is probably the same experience as people who do general aneasthesia.

VS

2. Other information has indicated that it will simple make you relax and reduce anxiety however, it does not block pain. 

So my question is does IV sedation just make you relax but still experience pain of local aneasthesia injections( which hurt like crazy and possible parts of the surgery) or are you asleep during surgery without experiencing the cutting, local injections,etc..?

Are there different types of IV sedation? Do any have the power to put you to sleep?

I am not sure if other people have also read conflicting information as to how IV sedation( plus local pain killing injections) works exactly and exactly how aware are you on the surgery/pain?

Thanks.

Plastic Surgery Anesthesia is an art form.  Sedation manages the patients conscious level.  Local and Tumescent Anesthesia manage the numbness and comfort.

You can find an extensive individual patients' experience with comfort and my Tumescent Technique Anesthesia for gynecomastia here.

If you prefer direct links to each of those discussions:

anesthesia and comfort in gynecomastia patient from California

anesthesia and comfort after revision gynecomastia surgery in patient from Hong Kong China

comfort and anesthesia in physician's son with gynecomastia

comfort and anesthesia in gynecomastia patient from Florida

comfort and anesthesia in gynecomastia patient from Illinois

comfort and anesthesia with gynecomastia patient from Texas

comfort after gynecomastia surgery with patient from Colorado

comparing comfort and anesthesia of my revision surgery with prior gynecomastia surgery in Florida

comfort and anesthesia in patient 4 hours from Richmond with gynecomastia

parent of teenage gynecomastia patient commenting about comfort after surgery

comfort after gynecomastia revision surgery on patient from the United Kingdom

comparing comfort of my revision surgery to prior gynecomastia surgery done in New York

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For the vast majority of cases, IV (Intra-Venous sedation) is ideal.  However, just like surgery, it is an "art" form.  Some surgeons administer the medications themselves; others have a separate anesthesia doctor.  In its best form, IV sedation (sometimes called "twilight sleep" or "conscious sedation") provides a smooth gentle sleep in which the patient feels absolutely nothing and is totally unaware of the passage of time.  It's as if you drift off to sleep and awaken 2 minutes later -- and the operation has been completed!  Once the patient is asleep, I will administer injections of local anesthetic -- but these injections are not felt by the patient.

I am proud to have worked with my anesthesiologist for over 15 years.  We work as a team -- effortlessly and smoothly.  His induction of IV anesthesia is gentle and the patient is carried through the surgery at a nice level -- not too "deep" and not too "light."  And then, when the last stitch is going in, the patient awakens gently, with no nausea, hangover or grogginess.  He opens his eyes and talks to us. Believe me, there is a true art to assessing each patient's needs and providing just the right amount of medication to keep him at the right level.  Together, we have used this technique on men from 135 pounds to over 400 pounds!

I, for one, believe that a good anesthesiologist providing IV sedation is the ideal method for gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024