Author Topic: Cigarette Smoking ?  (Read 10188 times)

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
About how long do you have to quit smoking prior to gynecomastia surgery ?
And how many of you who had surgery smoke ?
Thanks,
Mizuno

Offline ozymandias

• Posting Member
At the very least you should quit 2 weeks before surgery.  A month before the procedure is ideal.  Smoking can cause all kinds of problems with healing and even the general anesthesia, so you want to minimize any chances of complications.

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
I quite 3 weeks before surgery and I am 1 month post op and have not started again!

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
I had my last cigarette 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'm now 4 weeks post-op and haven't had one since.

Not only did I get my gynecomastia fixed, but it helped me quit smoking too. I was a smoker for 6 years prior.

Offline Dider11

• Posting Member
Im 11 days post-op. I had a couple ciggs the other night just cuz I went out drinkin.....is this a bad thing? I think I was told that after a week your fine. I'm definitely not a smoker, but I do enjoy a ciggy every now and then. Any doctor's advice?

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Im 11 days post-op. I had a couple ciggs the other night just cuz I went out drinkin.....is this a bad thing? I think I was told that after a week your fine. I'm definitely not a smoker, but I do enjoy a ciggy every now and then. Any doctor's advice?

I was told not to have a cigarette for 2 weeks at the least following surgery. It's not good for the healing process because it restricts your blood flow a bit. You'll heal slower if you start smoking again too soon.. but if you have a casual cig or two out at the bar one night, it's not really going to make much difference.

Offline Dider11

• Posting Member
Yea I think what the doctors are really referring to are the chain smokers. A pack a day to me is just somethin I'll never be able to understand.  8)

Offline demha

• Posting Member
I smoked weed up untill the surgery day and through the whole healing process, yeah I'm dumb.

Offline Dider11

• Posting Member
I smoked weed up untill the surgery day and through the whole healing process, yeah I'm dumb.

It's funny you say that because I quit smoking tobacco for a solid month before my surgery. Weed I probably quit for 3 weeks before but then my surgery was scheduled for April 23rd and I did celebrate 4/20 a bit. The surgery went fine though. I smoked a little the other day (about a week post op) and only did it cause it was really good stuff and so far so good. Cue in the people that swear weed causes gyne....

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member

It's funny you say that because I quit smoking tobacco for a solid month before my surgery. Weed I probably quit for 3 weeks before but then my surgery was scheduled for April 23rd and I did celebrate 4/20 a bit. The surgery went fine though. I smoked a little the other day (about a week post op) and only did it cause it was really good stuff and so far so good. Cue in the people that swear weed causes gyne....

Weed doesn't cause gyne on it's own, but it can effect hormone levels which, in turn, DO cause gyne. It's very uncommon to smoke weed after surgery and see the gyne return, but if you've got pubertal gynecomastia and you're smoking regularly, it is possible that it could contribute to the gyne becoming permanent and not resolving on its own.

And remember, after surgery, there is SOME gland left on purpose. Theoretically, it COULD enlarge in response to smoking weed if your hormone levels again become unbalanced. It's a very small chance, but it's still a chance nonetheless. After the cost of surgery, I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking it. And I'm someone who has smoked on and off since age 15/16.

Offline MrHappy

• Posting Member

haha i had my surgery the same day as you man. hope all is going well for you!!

Offline losernumber1

• Posting Member
Smoking is shooting yourself in the foot so give it a break or quit outright. In my opinion 3 months prior is best.

www.anticharisma.com

Offline JulianDoxey

About how long do you have to quit smoking prior to gynecomastia surgery ?
And how many of you who had surgery smoke ?
Thanks,
Mizuno
I need to quit smoking now.. My gynecomastia surgery is planned after 3 weeks..Thanks guys for sharing such important information..

Offline Landram36

Yeah smoking can cause various problems and most of them can’t be healed easily. I had stress so I used to smoke and take opiate. But then I realized the bad effects so I joined the rehab and suboxone treatment virginia beach center. They helped me quit the addictions in less time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024