Author Topic: Paying for the Procedure...  (Read 2540 times)

Offline vassalofodin

Hello, I'm new to the forums so I hope I'm not making a copy of an already existing thread. I did a search and didn't really find much.

Basically, I'd rather not have to wait and save up thousands of dollars for this procedure. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with credit/loans or such methods of financing. Basically, has anyone here paid for their procedure(s) by use of credit? I'd rather not be in debt to anyone, but I'd also rather not wait until I am in my 30s to have this procedure done. I feel like I've waited an eternity as it is.

In terms of if I could make the payments or not, I can as I don't really have any of my own expenses right now. I am thinking of going to college this year, though, so that could make things tricky I suppose. I'm just tired of dealing with how I look and not doing anything about it, when I am fairly sure of what I want.

Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
It has been about 2 years, but while working my last job, I applied for a generic medical loan.  I don't remember with which company I did it, but Dr. Bermant's site had the link and their secretary was very helpful with pointing me to the right people.  Anyway, after speaking to the company that I was referred to, I was approved for a $10,000 loan, and had a credit card in my hand within a few weeks.  Then I ended up not going through with the surgery at the time. :)

The options are out there!
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Many patients take out loans as payment for their surgery.  Assuming you have decent credit, there are several companies that will make loans specifically for elective, non-insurance compensated surgery such as gynecomastia.  If you are young and do not have a credit history, you may need a relative to co-sign the loan with you -- but then they would be equally responsible for the loan if you should default.

The applications are simple and can be made in complete privacy.  And, in general, you can elect to pay off the loan over several years -- so the monthly bite won't be too tough.

My office works with several companies.  Their interest rates are much lower than credit card interest rates.

If you need more info, you might call my office for details:  (212) 570 6080.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Dr. Jacobs is right - there are a number of companies out there that lend money for medical procedures.  Over the past 2 years, during the recession, these companies have "tightened their belts" and have been less likely to lend to people whose credit was less than stellar.  But they're starting to be a little less strict now, and they're offering more special financing deals, so now should be a pretty good time to apply for a loan through one of those companies. 

The company endorsed by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons is CareCredit.  Through their website you can determine if you qualify, and you can check to see if the plastic surgeon you're interested in is participating with them.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline vassalofodin

Thanks for the responses!

I'm 21 and starting school this year, so I still don't really have a credit line yet. My dad's is pretty bad, but I think maybe someone else could do it for me. I can at least look into it.

I've heard some not so great things about  CareCredit , but some of it is probably from people who rushed into stuff without really reading what they were going into, so it could still be an option for me.

But yeah, thanks again! It's hopeful that I could maybe get this stuff done sooner rather than later.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024