Author Topic: Well that was pretty embarrassing  (Read 3867 times)

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
It's funny how you think your all alone with your problem and find out there are other people with the same problem as you. I'm 51 years old and have dealt with this my entire life, I've been married for thirty years and have kept it hidden from my wife the entire time...or at least tried to. I never wear a polo or tee shirt and always wear a tank top under my shirts. I've never gone to the beach or in a pool even though I live in Florida. For the most part wear baggy shirts,

So for the most part I've done a great job of disguising...until now. Unfortunately my doc wanted me to get a sleep study done back in November, well I've put it off until now. I guess I couldn't make any more excuses and my wife called them and made the appointment. Now comes the embarrassing part, the study was conducted by two ladies who put leads on your head and chest. I don't think I was ever so embarrassed as I was sitting in that chair as they attached the leads to me, I could feel (or at least it seemed) them just staring at my chest. The worst part, I had to do it again a few days later as they repeated the scenario this time as I was being fitted for a mask.

The funny part of this story was I would not even be writing this if I didn't come across this site, I guess felt a few of you would be able to relate.

Offline Bob2000

• Posting Member
Yes it can be quite embarrassing, but to hide something like this your entire life, therefore allowing it to bring you misery every day of your existance is not a healthy approach, your imprisoning yourself. Its not as big of a deal as most people make it to be simply BECAUSE its treatable. I have told every member of my family and also told them about my plans to have surgery done and i am in greater peace because of it. To be married and hide my body from my wife because i have gynecomastia is simply unthinkable.

Offline Ben2cat

• Posting Member
The sad part is they never say ANYTHING knowing that it is un-touchable terretory...
both physically and emotionally.... Just knowing you have someone who loves you just the way you are and does not judge you, or even compare you is awesome!! God Bless your marriage, your family, and the ability to overcome the secrets of gyno.
I met many many people who identify their relationships on looks and neglect is the outcome.....

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
Hey Rick.

You are absolutely not alone. In fact, we have many similarities. I am 53, blocked the MACE (male chest enlargement, lol) out of my mind my whole life, was in denial, wore baggy shirts, et cetera; I was the one hang up I simply could not talk about, to my wife or parents even. Well, after years of putting it off, and prompted by it getting worse as I age and society now increasingly fining it's a condition that is okay to open ridicule, I'm having surgery done, in June. (In NY, although I see there is an Orlando guy who posts on here a lot, and that might work for you.) I have managed to talk to docs about this for several years now, and finally my wife, too. Gee, what an amazing relief when that was over with and how silly it now seems in retrospect, like a lot of our hang ups. I am even contemplating talking about it with friends. And hey I live in Florida, most of the time, at least, too. (The rest of the time in Sydney -- and boy if there was ever a tight shirt and tee-shirt culture this is it.) I'm hoping I don't have to wear one size too large tennis shirts again and have no anxiety about going to a pool or beach or even playing golf. I'm realistic about the possible improvement, but substantial improvement at least with a shirt on (I hate wearing undershirts) is pretty much a given. Shirtless prognosis is pretty good, too. Think about it. You're just now taking the first steps. I discovered this site in 2004! Wish I hadn't waited.

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
The sad part is they never say ANYTHING knowing that it is un-touchable terretory...
both physically and emotionally.... Just knowing you have someone who loves you just the way you are and does not judge you, or even compare you is awesome!! God Bless your marriage, your family, and the ability to overcome the secrets of gyno.
I met many many people who identify their relationships on looks and neglect is the outcome.....

That used to be the case; I recently had a nurse during a routine physical say something, in a friendly jokey way. But of course, I didn't take it that way. As I have said before, the culture has changed and now this is something people mock opening, like being bald. Big change over the past 20 years, when only a cruel teenager or a drunk might say something. It's one of the reasons I'm getting cut.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A visit to the Cardiologist for a stress EKG is also a unique experience. Depending upon where they need to put their electrodes, you will get part of your chest shaved or be asked to hold your surplus breast tissue out of the way. (Possibly both)

Life is full of these embarassing moments but I think we tend to make more of it than is deserved.
Grandpa Dan

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
You think that's bad, imagine going for an ultrasound on your chest to confirm you have gyne.

I know how you feel.

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
Yeah now that I'm getting a little older, I seem to be making a few more trips to the doctor, I always dread it when the nurse says take off your shirt and have a seat. Then she comes back in and there I am sitting with my tee shirt on. So...she tells me again and I play stupid, like I didn't know she meant both shits.

I didn't know anything about the surgery's until about a year ago, I actually called for a consultation about six months ago, but when the receptionist kept pressing why I wanted the consultation I just hung up. I just couldn't get myself to say it.

A lot of it is probably in mind, that's to be expected with how we grew up and sheltered ourselves from the "fun" things in life growing up...you know, swimming, shirts/skins basketball or just working outside in the heat as got older. You're the one with the farmer tan that never took off his shirt.

But then again, there's a good bit that is not in my head, we all know the looks.   

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
You think that's bad, imagine going for an ultrasound on your chest to confirm you have gyne.

I know how you feel.

Guys, I have had three mammograms in my lifetime,, in part because of age and breast cancer running in my family. I know what embarrassing is and can take it, easily.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024