Author Topic: Five questions from a postop delgado patient  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Ricky1965

• Posting Member
1.  How long do I have to wear this damn vest??  4 weeks or 6 weeks?  is it better to wear it longer?

2.  I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but i got a good sized lumpy mass on my lower pec, is that REALLY going to go away?

3.  Does anyone have an experience with their gyno coming back after surgery?

4.  I know you're not supposed to start lifting till 6 weeks post op, but might that even be too early?  Could that influence swelling?

5.  Is it possible to induce the formation of more scar tissue by over exherting yourself during the recovery period?

Thanks to any educated answers I can get.

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
1.  How long do I have to wear this damn vest??  4 weeks or 6 weeks?  is it better to wear it longer?

2.  I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but i got a good sized lumpy mass on my lower pec, is that REALLY going to go away?

3.  Does anyone have an experience with their gyno coming back after surgery?

4.  I know you're not supposed to start lifting till 6 weeks post op, but might that even be too early?  Could that influence swelling?

5.  Is it possible to induce the formation of more scar tissue by over exherting yourself during the recovery period?

Thanks to any educated answers I can get.

#1 varies among docs.  Mine told me 4 weeks but I may wear it at night longer to reduce swelling

#2 You may need to ask doc about that.  Could be several things but need to know how many days post op to give possibilities

#4  My doc told me that he was not worried about tearing anything loose but lifting, running, ect would get BP up and go against the body trying to get rid of swelling so he wanted me to wait at least 6 weeks.  He stated most swelling is gone by then.

Can't help on others.  Hope it helps
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

Offline Ricky1965

• Posting Member

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!

I wore mine 6 days.  My PS has over 30 years experience and told me that he's seen the same results from people who wore the vest for a week as those who wore it for several months.  The point of the vest is to a) reduce swelling and b) compact the skin so that the new tissue is allowed to adhere the skin to the muscle underneath.  This process takes roughly 7 days, and wearing the vest any longer does not provide any benefit.  Obviously if it makes you feel more comfortable to wear it, by all means do, but to my understanding there is no medical need to wear it longer than 7 days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:21:33 PM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
Isn't that odd how different docs do different things.  Its not just wearing a vest but many many procedures, medicine regimes, the list goes on and on.  I liked wearing the vest while riding due to bumps in road.  It gave support.

Offline Ricky1965

• Posting Member
I don't know if this is in my head but I feel less sore when I wear the vest.  Most likely this is because fabric doesn't rub up against my nipples.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024