Author Topic: Questions to ask  (Read 3332 times)

Offline justsomeguyinvan

• Posting Member
Hey everyone, consultation with Brown tomorow, just wondering if anyone had some last minute advice, on questions to ask. I read the thing on the site, and have written down some of my own. Anything anyone can suggest I may forget to ask? Thanks a lot, I just know i will get home and wish I had asked at least one thing no matter what.

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
what questions have you written down?

remember there is no end to what you can ask.. when i went, i asked questions like:

"how long is the healing procedure?"
"will i be able to attend classes after the surgery? how long would i have to wait?"
"when will i be able to work out?"

remember, if you're in school.. make sure you have all important dates with you when you go.. as in midterms,quizes,finals, whatever. it's a pain in the ass to make them up.. so if you can synchronize your surgery according to your schedule, that'll be something nice..

don't be shy. ask anything you want. if he doesn't ask you what you expect out of the surgery, make sure you let him know!

moreover. be calm.
i remember, i was actually shivering when i went in for my consultatio. haha,

but yeah.
hope it goes well,
take care.
and let us know how it turns out :)

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
who is brown and where is he what does he chargE? ? ?

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
dr.brown is a well known plastic surgeon from Vancouver, BC. he practices at the Richmond Health Sciences Center (right across from Richmond Hospital), in Richmond BC.

you can visit his website at: http://www.drlornebrown.com

he does take MSP for gyne I believe (as it says so on the website) however if you would like to get the surgery done privately (it's performed in his clinic, and usually a few weeks after the initial consultation) then it'll cost you around $3,000

Offline justsomeguyinvan

• Posting Member
I will write more in depth, but just so everyone knows, Dr. Brown's fee is in fact 3200$.

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
how did it go?

Offline justsomeguyinvan

• Posting Member
Well, here is my best recollection of the events:

I went out to Richmond, to see Dr. Brown. I paid my money, and waited a few minutes. I asked him my questions, and he told me that what he would do for me is just lipo, which he inforemed me was SAL lipo, with no excision. He said the excision wasn't neccessary in my case. He told me about how their would be a saline solution flushed in, then the lipo would be done, and a thin layer left in, so that the pec reset properly. He said there would also be a noticeable scar on my side, because he wouldn't go in the nipple in this case, and that if I wanted I could probably get plastic surgery to cover the scar sometime. Not that appealing. He showed me some pictures, a couple of which didn't look to good I thought, but I don't know, I suppose I am still skeptical about all this. I then met with a nurse, who told me the surgery would be 3200 dollars, and was given a tour of his private clinic.  I told her that was more than I could pay and she advised me of medical loan companies available, and I asked whether the reason for the expense was because it was a private clinic, and she seemed puzzled. She said as opposed to what? I replied, to doing it in a hospital. She told me no one in Canada does that, to which I said, I knew of people who did, and she then told me that there was a surgeon the floor below who actually did do that... After my appointment, I went down a floor, and very kindly they squeezed me in for an appointment with Dr. Brady. He met with me and told me I needed excision and lipo, basically said all the things I have read about Feilding from everyone on here. It would be in a hospital, and would be 1070, as MSP covers excision, and therefore the hospital fees. I was feeling pretty good about this appointment, but then I asked to see some pictures, and he only had two, saying the rest were on a digital camera, and hadn't been processed. The problem was that the two looked pretty bad, and he quickly reassured me that these were done a while ago, when the technology wasn't as good, and it would look much better now. Honestly, if I were the guys in the two pictures I would be upset/disappointed.

Well, hope this wasn't too long winded for everyone,just wanted to include everything I could remember. I should say Dr. Brown was very nice and answered all my questions, of which I had a lot.

My concerns are :

-The idfference in opinions between the two doctors.
-The price difference.
-The one I can afford, the pictures.

The one thing to come out of all of these, my first consultations with surgeons ever, is that I wish I were in Toronto basically.

ANy comments would be awesome, now I'm in a weird limbo place, opinion wise on how to proceed.

Offline faust

• Posting Member
That sounds kind of sketch...naturally I wasn't there so I cannot judge Dr. Brown myself, but with a procedure like this it is important that your mind be at ease and that you are 100% confident with your surgeon going in.  If I had an experience like the one you just described, I would keep looking elsewhere.  I don't know anything about PS's in Vancouver, so I can't help you out there, but I can say that if they run at $3200 it would be around the same to come to Toronto to see Fielding (even with two plane flights, one for consult and one for surg.).  I realize that's a bit of a gamble as you'll lose the cost of the flight if you decide not to go with him after consult., but if you make a vacation out of it or something that could be mitigated.  

I had the surgery with Fielding and although I am not 100% satisfied, I think that this is more due to the unique nature of my case (truly one-sided, he gets one of "me" a year out of 100 gyne ops) than any error on his part.  He is professional, reassuring and highly talented.  I am curious to see what he will think of my result (at 7.5 mos. post op) when I go in on the 19th -- he seems like a perfectionist and I want to see if he'll be as eager as I am to see my case through until we're both happy with how I look.

So, my advice:  Keep looking in Van. (or maybe consider Calgary even, I think I recall some success stories from there) until you either find a surgeon that COMPLETELY meets your expectations, or failing that look into your options elsewhere in Canada.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024