Author Topic: Surgery in Australia - Quoted $17,000  (Read 4214 times)

Offline getmeoutofthis

Hi guys,

I had a quote in Adelaide recently that totaled $17,000

$16,000 for the Surgeon fee and use of his Practise (not conducted in a hospital)
$1,000 for the anesthetist.

I will need lip, excision and a bit of skin taken.

I am 85kgs and just a tad under 6 foot so not grossly obese or anything - i was budgeting on around 10k as i don't have health insurance but at $17,000 there is no way in hell that i can have it done.

This has got me even more depressed than i was before hand!

Is this grossly over-quoted or is this normal? anyone been to Thailand to have it done?

Offline Liandoolb

• Posting Member
I've seen too many horror stories in the media to even consider going to South-East Asia to have it done! But yes, that sounds like a huge overquote. I'd recommend to keep doing research and perhaps get another consultation with a different doctor if you're unhappy with that one or feel you're being ripped off. Have you considered travelling interstate to have it done? I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Sue Thistlethwaite in Melbourne, there are numerous threads about her on here. I'd definitely consider checking out different surgeons in Adelaide and interstate though before heading overseas! That sort of surgeon's fee seems way over the top, even without insurance.

Offline thenewguy2012

• Posting Member
dude try Melb or Sydney before you think about Thailand... 17k is rediculous... must be something in the water in adelaide, i got quoted 5 times less than that in Sydney. So hav a consultation in sydney or melb first is my recommendation.

Offline aleksandar

• Posting Member
Go to America. A return flight from Sydney to LA is about $1,400. Add hotel and all those accommodation + food costs and about $7,000 for any of the top surgeons in California = still heaps below your quote and 100 times better result.

I'm sorry to say I had a mediocre result with S.T from Melbourne - more than one year after the surgery, I'm not happy. Although I'm 100 times more confident than I was before the surgery, that's beside the point now. I have a small crater - much more visible when I flex - and semi-collapsed nipple on my right chest and not a nice scar tissue on my right chest (directly below the nipple). I was also in need of lipo (despite the fact that I work out and I'm overall lean, I have some persistent fat in the chest area), and she didn't consider doing it, while all good surgeons would address the two issues at the same time (excision + lipo), giving you the look you're hoping for. Despite consulting her three times after op (flying in, spending a fortune just to get 5 to 10 minutes of her time, and usually waiting around 1 hour after the scheduled time), she refused to do any further work - the thing is she doesn't even have the skills for a revision. First she said we might do a lipo to improve the result, the second time I saw her she changed her mind (probably thinking there's no money for her there). First she said we'd deal with the scar tissue (removing it surgically), then she said it's too much of a trade off and it will eventually heal on its own (it never did, and now I'm looking for a revision with another surgeon). Again, don't mean to scare people off, but think twice. This is the board that made her very expensive and popular, and I know that most people are happy with her, but maybe people like me should also speak up. If I knew then what I know now, I would have never entrusted her with my body. Never, ever.

Do the right thing and go to the States. It will cost you less and you will get a great result. I was all by myself in Melbourne in a cheap hotel (no friends, no family) after the surgery and handled the post-op recovery just fine, without any help (stacked up the room fridge with food for the first couple of days, and then I was fine walking and getting all I need.

Just a different perspective from my not so great experience, I hope it helps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024