Author Topic: Finally Got Surgery (Dr. Craig Fielding)  (Read 11288 times)

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
Hey Everyone,

After suffering from gynecomastia since puberty, I am 21 now, with the help of information gathered from this board, I finally decided to do something about it. My consultation with Dr. Fielding was sometime in mid-December and I had originally booked my surgery for February. However, somebody had a cancellation and they offered me the spot to which I agreed. I will just briefly cover each part of my experience.

Consultation
Just like many of you, I was nervous going to the consultation, more nervous than making the actual phone call. I waited for about half an hour for Dr. Fielding to see me which was pretty good. His assessment went pretty much like this; he asked me about my condition, about any drugs, conditions, illnesses, and etc. After that he told me to take off my shirt and assessed the chest to which he said I did have gynecomastia and even if I starved myself that fat would not disappear without surgery. He took measurements and briefly outlined the procedure and finally told me that it would cost $2200. It is a bit on the upper end of what some people were quoted here but hey I was happy that it wasn't like $6000. Aside from that, he was an overall great guy, made me feel real comfortable and we talked a bit about my background to which he was very knowledgeable about. After that, I was set and I decided to book my surgery.

Surgery
I didn't really think about the surgery during the days coming up to it because I had first expected to get it in February. However, the last night I got really nervous and was unable to get a good night's rest. I was happy that I was getting the surgery but I guess the only disadvantage is that I really didn't get a chance to prepare myself for it. I wanted to do more research on the board regarding post-op care and other things that I really didn't get the chance to do. Oh well...

The day of the surgery, I got to the facility at about 9 am and had to wait until about 1130 am to be called in for surgery. I spoke with the nurse and anesthesiologist briefly about different things regarding my health and past surgeries, and when everything checked out they lead me to the surgery room. I was really cold and when I got in, Dr. Fielding had an associate with him and they told me to take off my robe and drew the circles on my chest. At this point I had planned to say a few different things such as asking exactly what they were going to do and what not but the next thing I knew I was awake in the recovery room. The pain was alright, and I took a perc from the nurse and after about an hour I was ready to go home. Another thing that I was a little disappointed in was that Dr. Fielding nor any of his assistants came to check up on me after. I would have appreciated one of them to come by and explain how the procedure went but the nurse assured me that they rarely do that. Furthermore no other doctor came to see their patient so this put my mind at ease.

Post-Op Day2
Today is the day after surgery, and I am feeling a lot better than I did yesterday. Getting sleep was tough because I was constantly thirsty, going to the bathroom to urinate, and just waking up due to discomfort. There isn't really any pain, more so the discomfort everyone talks about from a heavy chest workout. They prescribed me tylenol 3 but I have yet to take any because I haven't been feeling a lot of pain.  However, myself personally I am slightly annoyed with the vest and how tight it is. Other than that everything is good, able to eat and drink anything I want, and can walk around the house fine.

For those considering the surgery, I guess I can't really tell you my final results just yet but I can say that it feels like a big relief to know that you probably won't have moobs anymore. I will post a pre-op and post-op photo next week when they take off the foam pads. Thanks for reading.

Thats my experience so far

Offline rocks456

• Posting Member
Congratulations man!!! I know how much of a relief it is to get the surgery out of the way. I just had mine done on Monday... Thats great you got surgery at 21 you'll have lots of opportunities to enjoy a moobless life while your still young. Congrats again, and recover well.

Cheers!

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
Thanks!! Did you also have your surgery with Fielding? How are you dealing with the compression vest? Have you seen any visible fluid on the side? The nurse told me it might get really messy but so far it is just one little pink spot.

Offline Rollcow

• Posting Member
Good deal on surgery.  Its gonna b worth it in long run, especially at your age.  I had mine done last thursday and pain is gone after about three days.  Discomfort will continue.  I didnt have drains and the bruising and fluid will build up.  I dont think its actual bruising, just flood in the body.  I have marks all over and different places everyday.  the vest doesnt bother you after a few days.  It is very important to wear though, or fluid will develop in loose skin and u will have to get it drained.  Just keep in there and it will get better.  I should have done years ago.

Offline rocks456

• Posting Member
Thanks!! Did you also have your surgery with Fielding? How are you dealing with the compression vest? Have you seen any visible fluid on the side? The nurse told me it might get really messy but so far it is just one little pink spot.

I had my surgery with Dr. Delgado. I had drains which I had taken out today. The compression vest is not so bad without the drains. I actually like the way it feels right now, it makes me feel like my chest is protected. It's surprising how much better I feel everyday. Today I didn't feel like I needed any pills, even with the drains being pulled out.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Congrats!!  I had my surgery yesterday as well by Dr. Lista.  I'm sitting in a hotel room right now waiting to go back to see him for a quick follow up before I get the ok to go home (I live about 3 hours away).  I'll be posting some more info on that as well on my thread in the Canada section under "my experience so far with Dr. Lista".  I posted some before pics already, after pics will follow as soon as I can get some.  Good luck with your healing, looking forward to seeing your before and after pics!
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member

I had my surgery with Dr. Delgado. I had drains which I had taken out today. The compression vest is not so bad without the drains. I actually like the way it feels right now, it makes me feel like my chest is protected. It's surprising how much better I feel everyday. Today I didn't feel like I needed any pills, even with the drains being pulled out.

By drains, do you guys mean the foam pads? I have no idea what the drains are. I am wearing compression vest and there are these sort of soft pads other than the foam pads positioned closer to my stomach but I don't know if that is what you guys mean by drains.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
The drains are little bags that have tubes attached that are placed inside the incision to drain off excess fluid after surgery.  The bags kind of hang down your side (taped on, or otherwise attached of course).  They are usually removed within the first week.  Some doctors use them, some don't.  Depends on the surgeons preference.  I did not have drains either, nor does my surgeon use the foam pads you have.  A simple sterile dressing under the compression vest are all that I was given.

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
Oh, yeah I guess I don't have the drains then. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
Hey guys, so I am almost 13 days post op and I wanted to share my results and concerns. Below are my before and afters.
Before:

Sorry, I can't get it to rotate the right way.

6DAYS POST-OP after removal of foam pads.

13DAYS POST-OP

In terms of pain or discomfort, I seem to be healing fine as I don't really have them anymore. However, as you can see, I have swelled up quite a bit. The right side is worst in terms of size but the left side has a crater, because of how swollen it is right under the nipple. I am a bit confused because the swelling on both side seems to be very hard when I touch it, like it is muscle or something. I hope that it is normal and just part of the process. What do you guys think? Can you fill in on what the hard tissue is? Can you tell me if the crater on the left side can go away? Furthermore I have one major issue with the surgery which is my left nipple. The doctor told me he took out a lot of gland on that side, and being that I have small nipples, he seems to have destroyed my left nipple. It is really hard to tell with the tape but the wound or nipple does not seem to be stitched properly. Attached below is a pic, feel free to tell me what you think, and whether it will heal up or I should contact my PS. Thanks for the support and I hoped this helps the people researching a little.

Left nipple:

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Everything looks great so far!  Congrats!  I'm 12 days post op myself, and in about the same healing stage you are in.  The hardness you feel under the skin (like a muscle) is scar tissue forming.  I have a thick band of it on both sides of my chest that extend from under the arm to below and around the nipple area.  The left side is worse than the right side on me, but it's all totally normal.  This happens to everyone, so don't be worried about it.  Have you started to massage yet?  I began to last Thursday.  They say that massaging will help your body break down the hard tissue over time.  My doc said that if it doesn't hurt while massaging, you aren't pressing hard enough!  It's unpleasant, but if it works, then it's worth it.  The crater you mentioned will probably correct itself in time as well.  We have to wait a good 6 to 8 months (even up to a year) for everything to get to its final appearance, but your results are looking very well so far IMO.  As far as the nipple thing goes, it's hard to say until the bandages come off.  Time will tell there too.  Happy healing!

Offline Azure

• Posting Member
Just to add to previous posts, Dr Fielding doesn't use drains but instead makes use of foam pads and dressings. I'm just behind S'n'B and I would add that I have some scar tissue forming to the left of my left breast. He's right. Massage your chest for about five minutes each side and as he rightly says, if it doesn't hurt you're doing it incorrectly. No pain, no gain right?

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
Did dr. fielding tell you to massage? I read on this board that some doctors would only recommend massaging after a few months. My follow up was a little too fast, he just took off the pads, told me I'm healing fine, and that he will see me in three months. What massage technique should I use?

Offline Azure

• Posting Member
I understand it depends on how much you had done. With me, I not only had my glands removed but had 700cc's of fat removed right up to my clavicles, so massaging this complete area is a given as scar tissue may form anywhere in this zone.

If you've just had your glands removed, then there's less likelihood of scar tissue forming and your area to massage that much smaller. That said, no matter how small an area of your body the surgery has impacted may see the formation of scar tissue so it will do no harm IMHO.

Hope that makes sense.

Offline wrh321

• Posting Member
I had lipo as well, but he never told me how much he took out. Where can I find info on how I should massage the area?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024