Author Topic: scared of surgery  (Read 2020 times)

Offline mojomojo1

this might sound stupid. i want to get the surgery and i can afford to do it. but i'm really scared. i've heard of normal, healthy people having adverse reactions to anesthesia and dying. i know it's rare, but i'm terrified nonetheless. has anyone else gone through this? any help would be appreciated.

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
this might sound stupid. i want to get the surgery and i can afford to do it. but i'm really scared. i've heard of normal, healthy people having adverse reactions to anesthesia and dying. i know it's rare, but i'm terrified nonetheless. has anyone else gone through this? any help would be appreciated.

At some point in your life your very likely to need a general anaesthetic anyway. Few people go through their whole life without one.

The thing is yes there are risks, but even if you have a bad reaction it's likely to only cause nausea and vomiting. The people who don't tend to make it through are the people who are weak or very sick, like the elderly, or those going in for major ops where there are other stresses put on the vital organs. The chances of not making it through a gyne operation when your young and in good health are extremely minor. Your far more likely to die in a road accident statistically. Stop worrying  ;)

Oh also few surgeons use the old fashioned 'general' anaesthetic for a minor gyne operation anyway. Your much more likely to get a strong sleeping sedative and have the 'twilight' type anaesthesia where you will be out like a light, mumble incorehent nonsense for 2 hours then wake up with all the nurses smirking at you but you not knowing why. At least that has been my 2 experiences. At worst expect some embarrasment and a few 'hmm... your an interesting one' type comments.

lopher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:11:40 AM by lopher »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024