Author Topic: smoking pot before and after surgery  (Read 8691 times)

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
Hey there!

I'm 26 years old, and have had gynecomastia since I was at least 15. I would like to point out here that I started smoking pot only at the age of 23, so it was not the cause of my gynecomastia. The endocrinologist that examined me also confirmed that it was not the cause, not is it due to anything like kleinfelters etc... its just excess fat with large glands... the left side being more prominent than the right. "Persistent pubetal gynecomastia" was the diagnosis.

After years of trying to lose it, I came across the term gynecomastia on the net and realised what it was. I have since decided to undergo surgery (the doctor said it would require liposuction as well as excision)

For the last couple of years, I have smoked marijuana (pot) or hashish (crumbled and mixed with tobacco) almost everyday. Since the doctor advised me not to smoke for a few days before and after surgery, and since I found out on the net that smoking is not recommended for those undergoing surgery, I have completely stopped smoking cigarettes since last week, and limited my pot-smoking to a few puffs from a joint I share with a friend once a day. With the hash that would be about half a cigarette of tobacco a day.

I was just wondering if that is acceptible or if i will have to stop completely. I don't plan to smoke anything the day before my surgery, but I feel smoking a few hits a day would help me with the pain, discomfort and emotions I will predictably feel after surgery, and help me stay calm, since it is familiar to me. I do not plan on smoking more than this until I am healed.

Any thoughts you may have on the subject would be most welcome. I plan to have the surgery soon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:48:48 AM by frodo »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but stop it entirely.  Then after the surgery, don't start again. ;)

Edit:

BTW, I am a former social pot smoker/3-pack-a-day cigarette smoker.  I DO understand.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:18:10 AM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
Thanks for the advice :) I've read that surgery is not advisable for HEAVY smokers. I used to smoke maybe 6 to 8 cigarettes when I went out, which like I said I have stopped (and dont plan to start again) I also smoked 4 or 5 joints a day when chilling with friends, which is now down to 1 joint which I share with someone.... I want to be at 3 or 4 joints a week and am sure I can do that.

Do you think light smoking like that would create any problems post-op?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I don't know the medical explanation, but my surgeon told me at the consultation that smoking (even second-hand) affects the oxygen levels vital for tissues during surgery and during healing.  He told me to stay out of situations where I was exposed to second hand smoke for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  He also told me that if I had smoked he would not be attempting the areola reduction during the same surgery, but at a later time.  It must be pretty serious.  

Plus, I feel that smoking either substance helps to make bad people filthy rich.  

Anyway, I wouldn't even do a few puffs during the time before surgery and during recovery.    With all that's at stake, it just doesn't seem worth the risk.  Take care and keep us posted!

Offline Yoshi

• Bronze Member
Marijuana can cause gyne, which may make your surgery completely pointless.
I know the surgeon I went to said no smoking weeks before the procedure.

Read these:
http://anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/12012003.php

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002485.html

I don't even know why you'd smoke marijuana to get rid of pain when you will probably be getting prescription pain killers. Why would you need marijuana for emotional healing? Your lack of concern for your personal health before a serious undertaking like this makes me want to suggest counseling.  Please, consider it. I have never seen a poster with such an intent on smoking marijuana as much as they can.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:50:46 PM by Yoshi »

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
Yeah it does make sense not to smoke before. Those pages had some good info, thanks :)

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
tobacco acts as a vasoconstrictor which limits blood flow  (and oxygen) to the "wounded" areas.  avoiding tobacco smoke is highly advisable to not hamper healing.

MJ on the other hand acts as a vasodialater, which INCREASES blood flow. as to whether or not it would effect the healing process, IDK... if you ingested it orally (eaten, not smoked) it shouldn't be a problem though
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:09:46 PM by moobius »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024