Author Topic: Attitude to clothing acceptance  (Read 1793 times)

Normal boobs

What are your feelings and attitudes towards acceptance clothing?
Has the possession of boobs made a difference?
Does the title make you think of societal or self acceptance?
Any red lies for you?
To nail my colours to the mast, I believe clothing is for an acceptable level of public decency, comfort and in the case of a bra, support and immobilisation.
I do have red lines mainly bounded by my own courage or lack of it. My red lines encompass ever wider boundaries and continue to evolve.
My underlying  conviction is that clothing should  be functional and as a piece of material  it is always fundamentally unisex.
When, as a man, I purchase an item it immediately becomes  man's clothing irrespective of which aisle or shop it was liberated from. I bought itl It is mine. I am a man, ergo it is man's clothing. 

Where are you in your thinking?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 12:56:40 PM by Normal boobs »

Offline 42CSurprise!

I don't believe anyone would observe the way I dress and conclude anything but that I'm a man.  It probably helps that I have a beard that has been a companion for over fifty years.  Of course, I'll never forget a visit to a museum many years ago when a group of about half a dozen men showed up wearing formal dresses, including one man with a beard above the frilly bodice.  Anything is possible.

Of course, I don't wear suits or sports jackets.  I don't go to a job so I dress casually.  Tee shirts and turtlenecks are androgynous and they are staples in my wardrobe.  They will stretch over my breasts whether I'm wearing a brassiere or not.  The roundness of my body is now accommodated by pants with elastic waists rather than tailored pants I wore when I was younger.  I find them very comfortable and again, pretty androgynous.  I don't imagine wearing those pants marks me in any way.

I appreciate the conversations here about wearing clothes designed for more curvaceous bodies, which are typically found in the women's department.  Breasts seem to come with curves in other parts of our bodies, so dressing to accommodate those curves makes sense.  I doubt I'll ever opt for a skirt.  That would be a red line for me, though I always appreciate a fine Scottish kilt which is a very masculine article of clothing.  But I'm not Scottish despite my fondness for single malt Scotch whisky...

Perhaps you noted the thread I started some months ago about Women's Clothing.  It is worth checking out.

https://forum.gynecomastia.org/index.php?topic=36586.0

Normal boobs

Hi 42c
I too find a full set of facial hair answers a lot of unasked questions!
Being 6ft + also helps. 
I'll have a look at your thread

Orb

I feel what ever one wears becomes theirs.  If one reaches across the isle and wears it it becomes theirs.  I don't care what the tag says or ones gender. 

I recently attended an art exhibition the artist, male, wore the most wonderful and colorful attire.  He was a most delightful man.  I can't think of anyone that wouldn't like him.  If you were to look at his instagram you would see the most amazing outfits worn to other events around the world.  So wonderfully unique.  Male....? Female....?  I would say his very own.  I loved it.

What anyone wears becomes theirs. 

Phew my 2 cents :D;)

Offline 42CSurprise!

I've mentioned before the fact that men's wear, which is often called "drab wear" by crossdressers, is boring to me.  I've always appreciated a bit of color in my wardrobe but it can be difficult finding it on the men's side of the store.  Yes, I like winter colors... hunter green, maroon, purple.  Purple is seldom available in men's clothing.  That is why I still own a purple turtleneck with frayed sleeves.  I can't find a replacement at the stores I usually visit.  I did try a woman's purple turtleneck but the shoulders were too narrow and I had to pass the garment alone.

I wonder where your artist does his shopping?  Not at LLBean I imagine...

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
As time goes on, I find myself liking bolder colors and styles more than before. I've even got a tie-dye t-shirt with lots of pink in it. I am actually a bit jealous of women who are 'allowed' to wear pretty clothing and I do spend a bit of time every now and then ogling stuff online, with the attitude that if I ever purchased such clothing, it is unisex because I would be wearing it. I considered one particular top I desired last year to be unisex despite it being advertised as a womenswear. It took a couple of opinions to convince me that no, maybe it wasn't for men or even unisex, but I still like it: Women's T shirt Tee Rainbow Rainbow Short Sleeve Home Daily Basic V Neck Regular LGBT Pride S 8592402 2023 – $39.99 (lightinthebox.com)  I reckon If any guy wants to wear something like it using comfort as the reason, then good on them. But, knowing that men's t-shirts are advertised and considered as unisex for the purpose of allowing solid women to wear them without social stigma, without a commensurate allowance going back the other way, disappoints me.

I don't actually need to 'shop across the aisle' for fit or comfort purposes but I totally support any AMAB who does. And if that person has a choice of bright colors and patterns vs. drabness in a top with the same style and fit, then why not? I totally support that too; it is the fit that counts, but if the color or style makes the wearer feel lovelier on top of that, then well and good.

Red line for me would be a man with a feminine figure wearing a dress if they think it is the answer to their jeans not fitting anymore. If they want to wear a dress for any other purpose, that's fine.

Normal boobs

Evolver. 
For what it is worth I see nothing wrong with that T shirt.
What is not unisex about it?
My only concern would be potential gay connotations as I am definitely straight even if using many clothes from across the aisles.
As a Christian the rainbow has much history as a symbol of God's relationship with the human race.
Thanks for your contribution and posting the link.
I have ordered one and will wear it with great, straight, pride.

Offline gotgyne

Red line for me would be a man with a feminine figure wearing a dress if they think it is the answer to their jeans not fitting anymore. If they want to wear a dress for any other purpose, that's fine.
I don't understand this. What is a kaftan if not a kind of a dress? And what do you mean with "any other purpose"?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mens+kaftan&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
No probs. :)

What I meant was, in the purest sense, if a man wants to wear jeans but men's jeans don't fit him because of his figure, he will be able to find women's jeans that do fit him. He will still be able to wear jeans. There is no need to wear a totally different article of clothing like a dress instead. Not fitting into men's jeans is not an excuse to wear a dress.

Kaftan or kilt, or a skirt like the male politicians sometimes wear in Fiji, all totally acceptable. They are deemed as menswear on cultural grounds. I also welcome any AMAB who wants to wear a 'women's' dress NOT based on cultural grounds, as long as they own the reason for it, like crossdressers. But to say you need to wear a dress because men's jeans don't fit, no.

Normal boobs

No one should need to justify clothing choices to anyone. 
Wherever, cultural or choice.
Clothes do not have gender other than in the minds of those who have nothing better to think about. 
As long as people are comfortable in in their own skin and psyche it is nobody else's business. 

An adage that I learned in my youth  and still espouse :
I will not allow others to govern how I feel. 

This is not aimed at any individual nor is it an argument, merely an opinion. 
Others may differ, this I respect, but do not have to adopt. 
Any red lines are mine and do not apply to anyone else

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Normal boobs - I agree. No-one should feel compelled to justify their choices. Some people do though, unfortunately, and it is the percentage of them who try to BS their way through it that I have an issue with. That's no-one here, by the way. A real life situation I wasn't part of but witnessed, had unfortunate consequences for a person who continually came up with lame excuses for their behavior, instead of them having the gumption to take responsibility for their choices. Sorry to all if that seems a little vague, but I won't elaborate. Let's just say that if that person didn't even try to justify their choices, they would have been better off. Instead, they came across as fake. Good for you, that you do have the gumption to not care about the reactions of others when it comes to your choices. And, enjoy the top! Photos, please!!! ;D

Regarding unisex clothing in general, to use tops as an example, my dream is this - instead of walking into a store and finding men's slim fit, men's regular fit, men's loose fit, and across the aisle women's petite fit, womens regular fit, women's plus size etc. etc, imagine one inclusive department with straight fit, curvy fit, triangle fit and pear fit. All in a variety of plain or bold colors and styles. Perfect.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:30:04 AM by Evolver »

Normal boobs

Hi Evolver
Not sure about photos - just a general thing not specific to here. I manage to evade nearly all family photos (that other people want!!)

I agree about dreaming of a store that just sells clothes on unisex racks to let people choose what they like want wihout shops pre conditioning people.
We all, ALL,  and in every sphere of life unwarily are constantly manipulated.
A good number of years ago I floated the idea of tojust such a dream store on here - general consensus was that it was, and always would be a dream. It will a correct opinion unless people such as us lead. the public charge to change thinking.
Women made wearing male clothing a new norm but they probable have got more "balls" than the often cowardly apha male

Offline Johndoe1

Normal Boobs, you bring up an interesting question. I would theorize that a beta and/or feminine male has more balls than an alpha male. An alpha male only does what his other alpha peers do and to hide his insecurities about the rest,  mocks and ridicules. Where a beta male and/or feminine male takes the slings and arrows for their decisions and actions being forced due to circumstances to forced upon them. I would also theorize that most, if not all of the men here aren't your typical alpha males but beta/feminine males.  The alpha males are all on the other side of this site. What do you think?
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Normal boobs

Hard to argue with your logic John, but probably  best not to open civil war with those on the other half of the forum!
I totally disagree with their  'solution'  to the gyno 'problem' as they see it, but they deserve empathy and sympathy . Very few of them seem satisfied medically and aesthetically with results of surgery that society (they feel) pushes them to.
Cheers

Offline Johndoe1

Hard to argue with your logic John, but probably  best not to open civil war with those on the other half of the forum!
I totally disagree with their  'solution'  to the gyno 'problem' as they see it, but they deserve empathy and sympathy . Very few of them seem satisfied medically and aesthetically with results of surgery that society (they feel) pushes them to.
Cheers
Besides cost,  satisfaction with the outcome was a major factor in my decision to not have reduction surgery and to "find a way to live with my prominent bust." At the time I had no idea how to do it or how difficult that might be. I have come to realize that in the long run it was the proper decision for me even though at times I questioned my sanity of dealing with such a non-deniable feminine trait as a male. I have come to learn from several of my more endowed women friends that they too have faced many of the same societal mammary issues as I and in the end, those experiences have made me a more tolerant, kind and understanding person. I had one friend say to me that she couldn't see me without my breasts. They're such a part of me now. It's who I am. I took that as a very high compliment and decided that having breasts wasn't so bad after all. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024