Author Topic: O/T Couple of Hormone Questions  (Read 5671 times)

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
This is off topic, but I had a few questions about hormones.

What is responsible for making you grow taller, because I am a lot shorter than my friends (about 5'5") going to be 18 in about 3 months.  Im guessing it's GH growth hormone?

Is there any natural ways to optimize growth hormone via diet, stress management, exercise, etc.?

Another question was regarding DHT.  Everyone seems to say testosterone may be low when their sex drive is low, weak erections, musculature, etc but from what I have read it seems like dihydrotestosterone has more to do with these issues.  What are symptoms of low DHT?   and can DHT be raised at all naturally by diet, exercise, stress management, etc?

Thanks

Offline Hypo-is-here

If you are concerned with the levels of either DHT or GH then you can get them tested.

GH can be tested via some complicted dynamic tests but a reasonable guide to GH is IGF-1 which can be tested via blood pathology along with DHT.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
estrogen can cause growth plates to close. perhaps you have higher than normal estrogen levels?  if your growth plates have not yet fused perhaps you can discuss this option with your doctor.  studies have shown that treatment with Tamoxifen (or other antiraromatase drugs) can increase linear growth

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
estrogen can cause growth plates to close. perhaps you have higher than normal estrogen levels?  if your growth plates have not yet fused perhaps you can discuss this option with your doctor.  studies have shown that treatment with Tamoxifen (or other antiraromatase drugs) can increase linear growth

Well the thing is my dad is also short, but he has no obvious signs of high estrogen.  He's always looked like he has really high testosterone, for example facial hair, chest hair, very strong, low body fat (veins are always bulging out of his forearms and hands), his body has that hard look to it, etc.  so I'm thinking I must have just got whatever genetic property from him, but then again after asking some questions to other family members I was informed that my grandmother didn't start puberty until very late for most girls (period not until 16) so maybe its just in my genes to mature at a slower rate?

Also, regarding the Tamoxifen, I'm on Tamoxifen now at 10mg twice daily.  I know it reduces the effects of stronger estrogens (ie estraidol) but I have also read things saying it decreases GH output, so maybe it can be counter productive for the growth part?

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
it could be genetic in that you are just destine to be short, but one thing to think about is that high testosterone does not necessarily mean low estrogen. if test levels are high then there is plenty of raw material available to the aromatase enzyme to convert to oestrogen. estrogen levels may be normal but on the high end of the spectrum. it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll show feminine characteristics if test levels are also high, but it could potentially be a reason for early closure of growth plates.

are you taking the nolvadex on your own or was it prescribed? if you haven't done so already, you may want to check with an endocrinologist to see exactly what your test/estrodiol levels are at.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Hmm yeah you're right.  I was under the impression that if estrogen was also high then it would show feminine characteristics.

I am short but very low bodyfat, pretty muscular but bone frame is smaller, veins coming out of my forearms and hands like dad, really hairy legs, etc so it might be that test levels are high making it capable for estrogen levels to also be higher.

The Tamoxifen is prescribed and I've gotten my hormones tested but for some reason never tested estraidol so im going back for another bloodtest after im finished with the tamoxifen and it gets pretty much out of my system.  The doctors said that my hormone levels will be different every time because throughout the days/weeks your hormones are like a roller coaster.

For example the one time i went my total testosterone was 902 ng/dL  and another time it was 517 ng/dL.  My free testosterone was out of range being too high at 142.1 pg/mL

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It is common for people to say Testosterone when they actually mean to include not only testosterone but also its various metabolites as well. Equally, The word Estrogen is often used in a collective way.

You should realistically expect to be of similar stature to your parents. It is true that some people are taller than their parents but the change is probably due to better nutrition etc.

There is often a genetic side to Gynecomastia as well. If the men on either parents side of the family had the condition you may have inherited the trait. This would mean that if they had the condition in youth but it gradually resolved you should expect similar results. The bad news is that if your male relatives still have Gynecomastia, That too is what you should expect.
Grandpa Dan

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
It is common for people to say Testosterone when they actually mean to include not only testosterone but also its various metabolites as well. Equally, The word Estrogen is often used in a collective way.

You should realistically expect to be of similar stature to your parents. It is true that some people are taller than their parents but the change is probably due to better nutrition etc.

There is often a genetic side to Gynecomastia as well. If the men on either parents side of the family had the condition you may have inherited the trait. This would mean that if they had the condition in youth but it gradually resolved you should expect similar results. The bad news is that if your male relatives still have Gynecomastia, That too is what you should expect.

Thanks for the reply

My parents are small, my dad is 5'7" and my mom  is 5'7" also which isnt really small for a women to my understanding.  The thing that's weird though is on my moms my grandmother is about 5'9", my grandfather is about 5'11" and my uncle (her younger brother) is about 6'1".

Now on my fathers side, he has 3 other brothers.  One is about 6'2", one is about 5'10" and the other is about 5'10" also.  His father is around 5'9".  But his mother is small probably around 5'4.5"

Now to the genetic gynecomastia.  From looking at all my uncles they ALL have a high testosterone look to them, you probably know what I mean.  My dads father is 75 and I swear he still has to have high testosterone levels, he is so strong, low bodyfat, very muscular and in shape, and he doesnt diet or workout, just does work like cutting grass and that kind of stuff.  He was also a stone mason his whole life.

I looked to see if any had gyno and only ONE of them has signs of it, my dads older brother, but he got it within probably the last 7 years and he's about 55 now but I think he may have used steroids.  This guy is extremely muscular and even his gyne doesnt look like feminine, its defnitly pec muscle but with some gyne.  He also has been on lots of anti-depressants and that kind of stuff and lifts weights all the time and is experimenting with all kinds of supplements.

Last sign of gyne is my grandpop on my moms side, but he just got it when he was older - he's about 70 now and it's not a bad case at all, but all thoughout his younger years never had it.

I smoked weed for a while from age 14-16 1/2 and im thinking that maybe had something to do with it.  Then also got obsessed about it and would starve myself to try to make it go away and stuff so that probably wasnt good neither.  I've had it since i was 14 tho so its coming up on 4 years now.

Sorry for such a long post, just figured I'd put all that info out there. :-/

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think that you can pretty safely ignore the Gynecomastia in the older men. There are many things that would couse it in them that would not apply to you. One such thing would be the medications used to treat prostate conditions such as Finasteride.

The use of Marijuana may be an issue. Not everyone who uses it will have breast enlargement, but it does increase the liklihood of breast growth.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Yeah true about the marijuana use, but the part that I dont understand is that I stopped smoking weed about 1 1/2 years ago.  Yet, I still get the "tingly" feeling in the gland like it's growing soemtimes.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Then I suspect it is time to find an Endocrinologist.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Yup been to 4 of them and everyone says everything is fine.

It hasnt been doing it lately, but maybe its just psychological like i'm imagining it.  Who knows

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
From bitter experience I can say that our minds can play some very dirty tricks on us.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
Yup been to 4 of them and everyone says everything is fine.

It hasnt been doing it lately, but maybe its just psychological like i'm imagining it.  Who knows

you might want to clarify exactly what "FINE" is when the doctor tells you you are fine...

"fine" as in "within the reference range" or "fine" as in "it is within the reference range and approximately where it should be for your age"

if it's the first, then you may be within the reference range but be abnormal for your age.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t

you might want to clarify exactly what "FINE" is when the doctor tells you you are fine...

"fine" as in "within the reference range" or "fine" as in "it is within the reference range and approximately where it should be for your age"

if it's the first, then you may be within the reference range but be abnormal for your age.

Yeah I brought this up with them and they said I was at the right range for my age, and the last one was actually on the high end of normal for testosterone and out of range being too high for free testosterone.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024