Author Topic: Thinkg about getting surgery: A few questions  (Read 1469 times)

Offline mike453

Hello, I'm 23 years old and have had gynecomastia since around the age of 12 and am teetering on whether or not I should get the surgery and I have a few questions on which any input would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I'm about 5'10 180 lbs and suffer from somewhat of a mild case of gynecomastia although the term "minor" has done little to stop it from troubling my mind and my confidence.  My case is mostly tissue, which sticks out enough to notice it, and I suffer from extremely puffy nipples which is unbelievably troubling and embarrassing.

My first question is, after the surgery, how do your nipples react?  Does puffiness decrease by itself or do the doctors have to do something else for that?

Next, how much is the total cost after all of the expenses that come with surgery?  I know this varies based on a lot of factors, but maybe if you've had the surgery done you could key me in on your final cost, the severity, and your location.

Finally, how long is recovery time?  Is this a procedure I could get done on a Friday and be back at work on Monday morning?  Is the scaring bad?

Thank you to everyone for your input and help!

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
The puffiness is caused by the breast tissue behind your nipple. After excision of the excess breast tissue by the surgeon, the puffiness will be gone.

Cost indeed varies on your case and the surgeon but in the US, 6-8k total is probably a good average.

It usually takes between 4 to 6 weeks to recover completely but if your job doesn't involve physical activity you should be able to go back to work after a week or so. Getting the surgery on a Friday and be back at work on Monday doesn't sound realistic to me. You want to rest a little more than that.

The scarring is minimal and most of the time it's hardly noticeable if at all. Check the pictures on these boards and see by yourself.

Offline mike453

Thank you so much for your response!

I read your experience with your surgery and I'm happy it worked out well for you.

I guess the two main things making me hesitant to get the surgery is the cost and my ability to get off from work for a full week.

Offline jimmygyne

• Posting Member
I am the same height and weight as you, and I had been contemplating surgery since I was 24. I finally took this plunge and had it done this Wednesday, I can't begin to tell you how much of a non-event it was compared to what I was expecting it to be.

I have taken a week and a half off from work, just in case, as I wan't to give my body the chance to heal the best it can. I have dealt with the pail of gynecomastia for over a decade, and have realized that a happy life is more important than working for an additional week. As far as the financial aspect goes, if you wan't your condition fixed that bad, you will find a way! I quit drinking, smoking and started making coffee at home to save Roughly 100 dollars a week. In the summer I bought a bike to ride to work to save gas money. Over 2 years of doing this every alternate week, there's 5000 dollars of after-tax savings - so take it from me, don't be an escapist. Find a way. It will be worth the sacrifice.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024