Author Topic: Hot flashes and night sweats?  (Read 3772 times)

Brdy64

I'm having another nasty Hot Flash again today. It's a normal occurrence anymore. 😳💦

Anyone else got through hot flashes and night sweats?

Offline Gotboobs

• Silver Member
I had them really bad for over 2 years. That’s when I went to the doctor. I would wake up ringing wet. And then during the day the hot flashes were unbearable. But luckily all of that is going away. I still get them sometimes, but not nearly like I did thank goodness.

Brdy64

I had them really bad for over 2 years. That’s when I went to the doctor. I would wake up ringing wet. And then during the day the hot flashes were unbearable. But luckily all of that is going away. I still get them sometimes, but not nearly like I did thank goodness.
Good to know I am not the only one. 
I told the doctor and nurse here at the center, they just give me that "you will survive" look. 
It must have something to do with our hormone imbalance that we get 🤔

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Unfortunately, I know all about hot flashes even though I don't really experience them much yet. Sometimes I do get a bit hot and sweaty through the night, even in cool weather with just a top sheet and thin doona on the bed, but not often. 

The reason I know about what causes them is the stupidly high amount of research I've done over the past couple of years into specific hormone therapies and their side effects. That's another story, but the following is what I have learnt about hot flashes and how they can be controlled.

Back to basics: Men have testosterone which slowly diminishes over the years. Normal range is 300 to 1000 ng/dL. Over the past year mine has varied between 407 and 537, still in normal range but toward the lower end. This is purely from my age (60) and the natural decline over time. Women have estrogen which falls off a cliff during menopause, and it is this sudden loss of estrogen in their bodies that causes the most common symptom of hot flashes (there are obviously other symptoms as well). Women also have a small amount of testosterone and men also have a small amount of estrogen. In men, the estrogen is actually a by-product of testosterone production. As the testosterone level slowly decreases, so does the level of estrogen, and that is why hot flashes slowly appear in men, particularly in their 60's and 70's. It's not due to a hormone imbalance, because the testosterone and estrogen are still perfectly in proportion to each other, rather it's due to hormone deprivation and the resultant lack of estrogen. It's called MANopause! At least it is gradual though.

Want to get rid of hot flashes? The most obvious thing to do medically is to undertake testosterone replacement therapy, but really, it's just cheating, and denying the body of its natural way. Most men won't experience a total drop off of estrogen like women do, so it's just a case of sucking it up. There are other treatments though. Since the hot flashes are purely driven by a lack of estrogen, you can do what some women do and take an estrogen supplement in the form of an Estrodiol transdermal patch or application of cream on the skin. It is highly effective. What a shame that it will result in feminization of your body!

Less effective, but still worthwhile, are some progesterone products and even some anti-depressants, but both have their own side effects, some of them nasty.

My situation is unique in that I have a medical condition that might eventually need my testosterone to be quickly reduced to castrate levels. My estrogen level will also be quickly minimized as a result, and I can expect severe hot flashes. It is the side effect that I worry about the most. Apart from that, over time my body will go through a de-masculinization process but I will not be able to go on testosterone replacement therapy to help with that or the hot flashes, so I will be looking at one of the other methods if my hot flashes are debilitating enough. Time will tell. 

Brdy64

Unfortunately, I know all about hot flashes even though I don't really experience them much yet. Sometimes I do get a bit hot and sweaty through the night, even in cool weather with just a top sheet and thin doona on the bed, but not often. 

The reason I know about what causes them is the stupidly high amount of research I've done over the past couple of years into specific hormone therapies and their side effects. That's another story, but the following is what I have learnt about hot flashes and how they can be controlled.

Back to basics: Men have testosterone which slowly diminishes over the years. Normal range is 300 to 1000 ng/dL. Over the past year mine has varied between 407 and 537, still in normal range but toward the lower end. This is purely from my age (60) and the natural decline over time. Women have estrogen which falls off a cliff during menopause, and it is this sudden loss of estrogen in their bodies that causes the most common symptom of hot flashes (there are obviously other symptoms as well). Women also have a small amount of testosterone and men also have a small amount of estrogen. In men, the estrogen is actually a by-product of testosterone production. As the testosterone level slowly decreases, so does the level of estrogen, and that is why hot flashes slowly appear in men, particularly in their 60's and 70's. It's not due to a hormone imbalance, because the testosterone and estrogen are still perfectly in proportion to each other, rather it's due to hormone deprivation and the resultant lack of estrogen. It's called MANopause! At least it is gradual though.

Want to get rid of hot flashes? The most obvious thing to do medically is to undertake testosterone replacement therapy, but really, it's just cheating, and denying the body of its natural way. Most men won't experience a total drop off of estrogen like women do, so it's just a case of sucking it up. There are other treatments though. Since the hot flashes are purely driven by a lack of estrogen, you can do what some women do and take an estrogen supplement in the form of an Estrodiol transdermal patch or application of cream on the skin. It is highly effective. What a shame that it will result in feminization of your body!

Less effective, but still worthwhile, are some progesterone products and even some anti-depressants, but both have their own side effects, some of them nasty.

My situation is unique in that I have a medical condition that might eventually need my testosterone to be quickly reduced to castrate levels. My estrogen level will also be quickly minimized as a result, and I can expect severe hot flashes. It is the side effect that I worry about the most. Apart from that, over time my body will go through a de-masculinization process but I will not be able to go on testosterone replacement therapy to help with that or the hot flashes, so I will be looking at one of the other methods if my hot flashes are debilitating enough. Time will tell.
Well my body is already quite feminine, so adding a little additional estrogen shouldn't hurt any 🤔
If it gets rid of the hot flashes it's worth it. 

Brdy64

2:30am and another night of "night sweats" 😐

Hot flashes have been a daily occurrence as well. 

Offline taxmapper

What's interesting about this conversation is that I had the hot flashes in my 20's. 

I always contributed them to being in the SW and in high heat.

It makes me wonder deeply if the estrogen aspects wasn't going on then because of the fact that I havent had any copies of me running around. 

With that, there is a serious consideration for my own purposes of finding out about the estrogen and progesterone to alleviate. 
I have had progesterone cream off of Amazonia before and it has had a diff. effect of my still growing and developing breasts of having them perky. (At least that is what I have researched). 

(Other half is madder than a hornet given her 3D status and gravity.) 

I followed the herbal path myself and have kept a goodly chunk of the various pharmaceuticals out of my system. Yet STILL my girls grow. 

Brdy64

What's interesting about this conversation is that I had the hot flashes in my 20's.

I always contributed them to being in the SW and in high heat.

It makes me wonder deeply if the estrogen aspects wasn't going on then because of the fact that I havent had any copies of me running around.

With that, there is a serious consideration for my own purposes of finding out about the estrogen and progesterone to alleviate.
I have had progesterone cream off of Amazonia before and it has had a diff. effect of my still growing and developing breasts of having them perky. (At least that is what I have researched).

(Other half is madder than a hornet given her 3D status and gravity.)

I followed the herbal path myself and have kept a goodly chunk of the various pharmaceuticals out of my system. Yet STILL my girls grow.
I went all my life until recently "braless". Gravity has really really taken it's toll on my chest. 😳

I'm afraid to try any products not prescribed by my doctor due to the amount of meds I'm already on. 

But I am going to mention hormone therapy on my next visit to alleviate my hot flashes some. 
Yesterday in the sun room everyone was using blankets in the recliners while I was sweating like no Tomorrow in a hot flash. 😬💦

Offline Gotboobs

• Silver Member
A hot flash is much different from sitting around just being hot. When you get a true hot flash ....you will know it. Very intense, and very fast in coming on.

Brdy64

A hot flash is much different from sitting around just being hot. When you get a true hot flash ....you will know it. Very intense, and very fast in coming on.
Yeah, comes on really fast. Stays for awhile and goes away. 

Orb

They drive me crazy.  Busting out in sweat out of the blue.  I often wake with the bedding soaked and find myself changing them.  I have never asked my Dr. about them and didn't give it much thought.  
Perhaps I should.  I just didn't want to seem like a worrier.  

Brdy64

I took a poll here in the sun room. Only all the elderly ladies raised their hands, and of course myself.
None of the guys besides me has hot flashes. 
It most definitely has something to do with gynecomastia. 🤔

Offline taxmapper

Oh no.. Not 'sitting around".. try more like a sudden and very intensive almost burning skin sensation through the whole body and then a bit later.. zip. 

I'm in the SW so that is what I thought it was then. 
but looking back, the heat severe discomfort for me would last a few min. then stop. 
At times I had elevated blood pressure and my skin looked like it was sun burnt. 
then go away. 

Brdy64

Oh no.. Not 'sitting around".. try more like a sudden and very intensive almost burning skin sensation through the whole body and then a bit later.. zip.

I'm in the SW so that is what I thought it was then.
but looking back, the heat severe discomfort for me would last a few min. then stop.
At times I had elevated blood pressure and my skin looked like it was sun burnt.
then go away.
Yup, those are it. I knew what you were talking about. 

Gino

I unfortunately get them too. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024