Author Topic: Surgery or no?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Trycer6

• Posting Member
Hello everyone. I am a 17 year old male and I have had pretty significant gyencomastia since I was about eleven or twelve. During a checkup with my doctor about two weeks ago I was told that I definitely have glandular gynecomastia and that surgery was essentially my only recourse at this point. I know a lot of people think that I should wait until I get older to see if surgery is really necessary, but I feel like I should do the surgery now. My maternal grandfather, who people say I most resemble, has had pretty severe gynecomastia for his whole life. Also, my two younger brothers, who aren't particularly overweight, both have developed noticeable man boobs. But most importantly, man boobs really hurt my social life, and I have no confidence with girls, which is troubling because all my friends have girlfriends and such and are beginning to wonder if I'm gay or something. I am 6 foot 2 and about 210 pounds, but I am quite muscular and I play a lot of sports, so I really don't think that losing weight will help that much. My parents have offered to pay for my surgery and I figure that my high school social life is pretty much over because I'm already a senior, so I really can't see a reason not to go ahead with the surgery. I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have had stable gynecomastia since age 11 or 12, and you are 17 and in reasonable shape, it is my opinion that you may entertain possible gyne surgery at any time.  I do not believe, as many pediatricians do, that waiting and waiting for it to disappear is a viable option.  Certainly, there is no rush to do it, but I do not believe there is a "magical" age at which one would qualify for gyne surgery.

One word of advice:  make sure you find a very well qualified surgeon who does a fair amount of gynecomastia surgery.  And, if possible, have consults with several doctors.  This is elective surgery -- so pick and choose carefully.  And then make your choice based on the doctor with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The fee, while important, should be the least of your considerations.  Remember, the results of your surgery will be there for a lifetime -- and long after the fee is forgotten.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hello everyone. I am a 17 year old male and I have had pretty significant gyencomastia since I was about eleven or twelve. During a checkup with my doctor about two weeks ago I was told that I definitely have glandular gynecomastia and that surgery was essentially my only recourse at this point. I know a lot of people think that I should wait until I get older to see if surgery is really necessary, but I feel like I should do the surgery now. My maternal grandfather, who people say I most resemble, has had pretty severe gynecomastia for his whole life. Also, my two younger brothers, who aren't particularly overweight, both have developed noticeable man boobs. But most importantly, man boobs really hurt my social life, and I have no confidence with girls, which is troubling because all my friends have girlfriends and such and are beginning to wonder if I'm gay or something. I am 6 foot 2 and about 210 pounds, but I am quite muscular and I play a lot of sports, so I really don't think that losing weight will help that much. My parents have offered to pay for my surgery and I figure that my high school social life is pretty much over because I'm already a senior, so I really can't see a reason not to go ahead with the surgery. I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Do you guys have any thoughts?

How old before Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. Although gynecomastia frequently goes away on its own, what has not resolved by 2 years usually does not.  Waiting many years for nothing to happen makes little sense when an individual is stressed by the Emotion of Living with Gynecomastia.  You can see many examples here: Photos Before and After Surgery of Teenagers with Gynecomastia Gallery.

If body fat is a contributing factor, weight loss before surgery is typically better than after.  Weight Loss can Help with the Fat Component of Gynecomastia, it will not help with the gland and can leave loose drooping skin.  Have you checked your Body Mass Index Calculation BMI Calculator?  That in conjunction with a Body Fat Calculator can give a handle on the body fat issue.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024